Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

NTG 2.5 map update problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164
NTG 2.5 map update problems

Main problem what I am facing now - unable to update navigation maps.
first of all when I was trying to update maps software by DVD I faced problem - ntg message appeared " Map update is incompatible with system or software. Ejecting", then thanx to advices tried to update headunit with telematics upgrade disk, but MB dealer instead of using telematics upgrade dvd disk, they used online update option. Seems telematics update was successful. But then....whatever map update dvd disk I am using I am getting same " Contact MB servise, ejecting". MB dealer advised, that unit needs SCN coding, MB dealer contacted MB to get SCN code, MB replied, that head unit is not for my VIN and can not used with my ML. We even tried to put my HU to new 2009 ML, but no update...same message
Could anyone advice how to update, new map soft? Maybe it is possible to swap HDD?

Any help appreciated :bowdown:

Kris

Last edited by Kristis; 06-29-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
No answer to your question but the document you tried to post is covered by MB copyright, I'd suggest not posting it on an open forum if you don't want MB lawyers knocking your door. I'm sure your question is well understood without the photo.

I believe the answer actually is simple, you have to run a proper telematics update to the head unit before the new maps load properly. This update just does not work on an old car.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 PM

W164
Sorry and thnx.

Matter is that I ( mb service in nothern europe)tried to put this HU into brand new ML which has the NTG 2.5 and we were connected by star diag throug internet to have all updates. Result is the same "Contact MB" and does not really matter what map dvd we were putting in ver 1. or ver 2.
Before was different or was " you have same system" and " different SW or system" and now the SAME " contact MB"
BTW everything works fine except map update...
....((((((

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
No answer to your question but the document you tried to post is covered by MB copyright, I'd suggest not posting it on an open forum if you don't want MB lawyers knocking your door. I'm sure your question is well understood without the photo.

I believe the answer actually is simple, you have to run a proper telematics update to the head unit before the new maps load properly. This update just does not work on an old car.

Last edited by Kristis; 06-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kristis
Sorry and thnx.

Matter is that I ( mb service in nothern europe)tried to put this HU into brand new ML which has the NTG 2.5 and we were connected by star diag throug internet to have all updates. Result is the same "Contact MB" and does not really matter what map dvd we were putting in ver 1. or ver 2.
Before was different or was " you have same system" and " different SW or system" and now the SAME " contact MB"
BTW everything works fine except map update...
....((((((
I'm afraid you cannot code the new unit even on a new car unless the new car has the same equipment originally. SCN coding would not match the car otherwise. Another option is to change the data card back and forth.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

W164
Data card = hard disk drive?

I'm afraid you cannot code the new unit even on a new car unless the new car has the same equipment originally. SCN coding would not match the car otherwise. Another option is to change the data card back and forth.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, no. Data card is the info file that tells all options included in a particular car. In the case of modern MBs the diagnosis computer talks directly with this database and draws appropriate settings for control units (SCN coding) and takes care of correct SW updates.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 AM

W164
Than you very much,
I assume I can file somewhere in Star Diag after reading out all the ID data from car. Could you point me file location / name?
Also I was thinking maybe is worth just to swap updated HDD with mine??

Sorry, no. Data card is the info file that tells all options included in a particular car. In the case of modern MBs the diagnosis computer talks directly with this database and draws appropriate settings for control units (SCN coding) and takes care of correct SW updates.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
the new scn coding from MB is going to be BS, the new SDS also. If anyone has developer software, hold on to it dearly. I know the 212 is on the developer menu.

I would contact MB, when you get the message trying the SCN, and tell them to update your vehicle. I can not see them not being able to, after all this is what they wanted to do from the beginning taking it out of the dealerships hands... sure it is a double edged sword with dealerships not knowing what to change and screwing things up, but there is a few who are competent.

so when you are on the network, send the info to update your vehicle, you will not be the first nor the last.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbondox
the new scn coding from MB is going to be BS, the new SDS also. If anyone has developer software, hold on to it dearly. I know the 212 is on the developer menu.

I would contact MB, when you get the message trying the SCN, and tell them to update your vehicle. I can not see them not being able to, after all this is what they wanted to do from the beginning taking it out of the dealerships hands... sure it is a double edged sword with dealerships not knowing what to change and screwing things up, but there is a few who are competent.

so when you are on the network, send the info to update your vehicle, you will not be the first nor the last.
I'm not sure I followed everything. Did you take into account that this was a retrofitted Comand? Was it also a US car, from the W204 forum one can find that MBUSA does not even allow the correct Comand for the specific MY being retrofitted, I don't see how the new NTG2.5 Comand could be updated to the vehicle data, it could even come with the same option code.

Developer mode SDS must be good when you say so (and W212 is not supported only in developer mode, after all the cars have been on the streets almost half a year.).
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM

W164
Mine is 2006 european model....

I'm not sure I followed everything. Did you take into account that this was a retrofitted Comand? Was it also a US car, from the W204 forum one can find that MBUSA does not even allow the correct Comand for the specific MY being retrofitted, I don't see how the new NTG2.5 Comand could be updated to the vehicle data, it could even come with the same option code.

Developer mode SDS must be good when you say so (and W212 is not supported only in developer mode, after all the cars have been on the streets almost half a year.).
Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine is 2006 european model....
Sorry, I must have confused two members, there was another one who imported a car from the US.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 AM

E w207 cabrio
Hello I have the solution to your problem. Where are you from exactly? Do you have american or european ML?

Main problem what I am facing now - unable to update navigation maps.
first of all when I was trying to update maps software by DVD I faced problem - ntg message appeared " Map update is incompatible with system or software. Ejecting", then thanx to advices tried to update headunit with telematics upgrade disk, but MB dealer instead of using telematics upgrade dvd disk, they used online update option. Seems telematics update was successful. But then....whatever map update dvd disk I am using I am getting same " Contact MB servise, ejecting". MB dealer advised, that unit needs SCN coding, MB dealer contacted MB to get SCN code, MB replied, that head unit is not for my VIN and can not used with my ML. We even tried to put my HU to new 2009 ML, but no update...same message
Could anyone advice how to update, new map soft? Maybe it is possible to swap HDD?

Any help appreciated :bowdown:

Kris
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater

212 was supported fully in the developer mode on our SDS, also the 212 prototype.

I'd probably start by

changing the 2.5 settings to euro standards first then get another ML with the 2.5 where he is at, read out and then pop the new 2.5 in and write to it.

remove it then toss it coded into the other vehicle and start with that. anything is possible with development software and MB should not take it from the dealers as they have been.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by jbondox
212 was supported fully in the developer mode on our SDS, also the 212 prototype.

I'd probably start by

changing the 2.5 settings to euro standards first then get another ML with the 2.5 where he is at, read out and then pop the new 2.5 in and write to it.

remove it then toss it coded into the other vehicle and start with that. anything is possible with development software and MB should not take it from the dealers as they have been.
Y'all have prolly figured this out by now, but there's a couple of batches of bad firmware on the ECE units. Have your dealer take a look at GI82.85-P-046208_Ver_2 - this is specific to the R171, but applies to all NTG2.5 HU's.

If you retrofitted to a car that didn't come with a 2.5, you are gonna need some very clever dancing to get it sorted. If you installed in a car that could have shipped with 2.5, and have a friendly dealer who will update your datacard via SCN, you are in good shape and they can get it back up and running....
Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The issued mentioned above by UK-C200 has been known about for ages and your dealer should know (or be able to find out about it on TIPS).

It involves updating the firmware on your system, then installing the special map disk release from June 2008 (yes 2008), although I expect the current V3 release will go straight on after installing the firmware.

The latest firmware has just been released with Jan 2010 Star diagnosis release. The June 2009 release fixed *loads* of issues and added ECO routing mode, AUX volume boost and a load of other features.

Lots of info on my COMAND APS NTG2.5 FAQ (which I just seperated out from my main COMAND APS faq as i've been getting lots of NTG2.5 questions now)

http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+A...AQ-faq-14.html

Richard
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

ml 164
c-class 204 problem

Heloo,

Pls I have problem with my c-class 204 petrol which has problem not start and they they told they change the ESL Moudule but the problem is still there but it is start direct on the start it respond but you can not change gear. I am suspecting the front sam moudule.

Pls do you have any concern for this friend

Henry