Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

3rd party nav HU options - adjust volume during directions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
3rd party nav HU options - adjust volume during directions?

I'm looking for a third party in-dash navigation system, like the Kenwood DNX series or the Pioneer AVIC series. I've not been able to find any reviews that detail what happens to the music volume when navigation instructions are being spoken though.

I believe some units cut the audio from the music source out completely when the next turn instruction is being given. I think others may only lower it slightly. Or in an ideal world, you could set it to behave however you'd prefer. Can anyone with one of the above units tell me how yours works? I've gone to stores to look at them, but they're never hooked up to an antenna, so it's impossible to test them out.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 AM

2006 C230
The AVIC either mutes the music volume for NAV directions, or you can mute the turn by turn directions all together.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM

CLK500
Originally Posted by ELBMAN
The AVIC either mutes the music volume for NAV directions, or you can mute the turn by turn directions all together.
Okay, so it's sort of one or the other, but no options in-between for both to audible at the same time?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by popechild
Okay, so it's sort of one or the other, but no options in-between for both to audible at the same time?
I just had the Kenwood DNX9140 instanned in my Avalanche and it mutes the music on the front speakers (not the rear) when Nav instructions are spoken. The Nav volume is independant of the music volume and can be completely shut off if you like as well.

Overall a very nice unit and I am looking for information on installing the same in my 2000 CLK which currently has the command system(YUK) and the data in the nav is so out of date that is is not very helpful anymore.

Questions are:
1. Will the clock on the instrument still work as this is currently getting realtime information from the command unit
2. what displays on the DIC when the radio option is chosen....today it is the frequency and the stations/seek can be initiated from the SW controls.

I really like this unit so far. The bluetooth works great and the unit synced up almost immediatly with my Blackberry 8900 Curve (New unit) within a minute and I can see the phone book or dial with voice commands. the factory steering wheel controls work as well (Separate adapter) and the nav is Garmin, which is like the aftermarket unit (Nuvi 680) I have been using for the past year in the CLK......which is infinately better than the Command system that was installed at the factory. I am just a little concerned about the integration with al the information currently displayed in the driver information center and would appreciate any experience with this on Kenwood or other such units.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Update

I did install the Kenwood 9140 into the CLK and it works great! I added the PAC steering wheel controls and while I always have volume I can only use the scan/seek when it is on the Radio page as the factory system does.

I had to have the dealer reprogram the options removing the factory Phone and command system and now I can program the clock directly in the settings menu the same way that the clock is programmed when the standard radio (not Comand) is installed.

The volume for the turn by turn can be adjusted independently from the other audio or turned off completely and the Parrott Bluetooth works much better then the factory phone mike did. The only downside I can see is that the phone buttons on the steering wheel will not work with the phone functions but the screen is easily within reach and when the phone is activated it becomes a complete control pad for the unit.

All in all I recommend this system.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 AM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by paul65k
I did install the Kenwood 9140 into the CLK and it works great! I added the PAC steering wheel controls and while I always have volume I can only use the scan/seek when it is on the Radio page as the factory system does.

I had to have the dealer reprogram the options removing the factory Phone and command system and now I can program the clock directly in the settings menu the same way that the clock is programmed when the standard radio (not Comand) is installed.

... All in all I recommend this system.
So, if you had COMAND before, I assume all the factory speakers were connected to the Audio Gateway. How did you route the speaker output from the Kenwood unit to the speakers? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by anewbie
So, if you had COMAND before, I assume all the factory speakers were connected to the Audio Gateway. How did you route the speaker output from the Kenwood unit to the speakers? Thanks!
There is apparently a harness available that creates a plug compatible solution and allows the factory components to still function.

I understand it is the same one used on Audi and VW, so they likely use the same OEM supplier.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:17 PM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by paul65k
There is apparently a harness available that creates a plug compatible solution and allows the factory components to still function.

I understand it is the same one used on Audi and VW, so they likely use the same OEM supplier.
Thank you for the reply! Does anyone know how to go about finding this harness? Many thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by anewbie
Thank you for the reply! Does anyone know how to go about finding this harness? Many thanks in advance!
Try here.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-is4rZZTZDCY/