Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Strange bluetooth noise. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430 Cab.
Strange bluetooth noise. Help needed.

I’m having a Bluetooth problem & I’m hoping someone here may be able to help. I have a 02 CLK 430 cab. with Command, Voice recognition, and built in phone (I have an iPhone 3Gs). I got the puck, and the cradle eliminator about 4 months ago and it was working fine until recently. The people I am talking to are complaining of a ringing (metallic) noise and a high pitched wine that is making my voice almost inaudible. The noises get louder and the pitch rises with engine speed. On the other side they sound perfectly clear to me. The noises completely disappear when the engine is shut off. I have tried 2 different phones and both do the same thing so I’m pretty sure it is an issue with the car, perhaps a ground, alternator? I can’t seem to find where the system grounds. Thanks in advance for the help..Jim
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It does sound like an alternator grounding problem. It would be a good idea to check alternator ground, and also the grounding straps in the engine compartment - they are usually a flat braided wire, and if I recall correctly, there are three in a W220; I don't know about a CLK. Be sure the contacts at each end of the straps are clean. There are spray-on products sold that claim to improve the quality of the contact and prevent corrosion.

A problem with spark plugs or wires would sound like pops and a buzz, not a high-pitched whine.

Aside from that, had you made any electrical or audio system changes just before the problem developed?

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430 Cab.
No changes to the sysem. It is 100% stock. One thing I did notice this morning is that I can also kill the sound by hitting the mute button. Maybe a problem with the mic? Thanks for the info skylaw I will start there.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I would not rule out a microphone problem, but I'd start with grounding.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.