Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Interference in 1994 w140, aftermarket head unit & amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 S350
Interference in 1994 w140, aftermarket head unit & amp

Ok - here goes. Like an idiot, I went against all rational, sane judgment and ripped out the bose amp and stock head unit in my w140 this past weekend. It was hard for me to think about $500 to repair an amp on a system that has no ability to hook up an iPod or other auxiliary device properly. And yes I read about all the nightmares of embarking on this journey, don't worry. I have a friend who installs car audio and was willing to tackle it. Alas, now I know why it's a nightmare, and yes I feel like an *** for going there.

We got everything wired up and working - playing out of all speakers, etc. The issue is that there is a horrible interference in the entire system - it's almost like a chirping at idle and pitches up with increased RPMs. Opening and closing the doors and other various functions bring even more fun buzzing sounds to the party. The end result is that it's a total clusterf$@ in my car right now and I'm supposed to be driving to Ohio in 24 hours.

We even ran new RCA cables back from the new head unit, but we're using the stock wiring for power and speaker wires. (I just can't afford new speakers right now, so was going to limp by with a new amp and head unit for a bit.) We've verified the grounding and all the usual culprits. I even bought another head unit because we thought the first one was bad. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I'm pretty sure the code is locked out on the factory unit. I tried to unlock it but the buttons kept getting stuck causing the wrong input a couple of times - now it just says WAIT. Lovely.

It's a long shot, but has anyone experienced this interference specifically and/or know how to fix it (hopefully by tomorrow evening, hehe).

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Brandon