Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

8cm Pocket CD-Rs, Compatability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
8cm Pocket CD-Rs, Compatability

I really would like to use these pocket 8cm cd-rs made by Memorex. They would be perfect for those times where I only have a few songs to burn, I just can't stand using only 25-50% of the 700mb cd-rs, even though they are cheap.

I tried sticking a blank one into the Becker head unit, and it would suck one in but spit it out. Wouldn't actually load it. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the headunit to not reject these, or are Becker head units physically not capable of playing them? I'm wondering if it is just programmed not to take accept anything smaller than a normal cd, and perhaps this could be reprogrammed.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Re: 8cm Pocket CD-Rs, Compatability

Originally posted by nrgy
I really would like to use these pocket 8cm cd-rs made by Memorex. They would be perfect for those times where I only have a few songs to burn, I just can't stand using only 25-50% of the 700mb cd-rs, even though they are cheap.

I tried sticking a blank one into the Becker head unit, and it would suck one in but spit it out. Wouldn't actually load it. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the headunit to not reject these, or are Becker head units physically not capable of playing them? I'm wondering if it is just programmed not to take accept anything smaller than a normal cd, and perhaps this could be reprogrammed.

Thanks.
Did you try to use a rim cd adapter? That is for use 8cm cd´s on stadard players
Old 03-10-2003, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
i do not recommend you use those small 8cm CDs in a regular cd player where the CD is inserted in a slot. The size of the size can cause it to be easily stuck inside the drive mechanism.

Use an adapter if you can, if not, just burn it on a big CD. Think about it, 2 700min CD probably cost less than 1 8cm CD.