Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Rear View Mirror Radar Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
Rear View Mirror Radar Install

I am looking for information / DIY install instructions to mount a radar detector OR remote smart cord display in the rear view mirror.

I also need to know how etch or prep the mirror so that the radar display shows through.

Thanks, SkyMast
Old 03-19-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
I checked into having a V1 disassembled and installed in the interior rear view mirror, as is possible on the 996, but learned that the CL's windshield has a metallic substance in it that deflects signals such that the V1 is only about 50% effective. Of course, the V1 has no laser diffuser either. Windshield on E500 may not have the metallic coating. One of the Porsche boards has some DIY instructions that I saw last year. Might have been the Rennlist forum. I also recall that one of the BMW boards had something on DIY installation. There is a shop in Westchester County, Mobile Extreme 914 345 0848 that does installations of the V1 in rear view mirrors.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
................the better radar detector for remote mounting and display on the rear view mirror is a Passport SR7 which you can combine with a diffuser such as the Passports ZR3. Alternatively, you can use the Passport SRX which has I understand has a buitt in diffuser. I have rear view mirror display of the Passport SR1 in my CLK and SR7 in 300CE. It looks beautiful If you live near Georgia, I know exactly where you can go.

LINK

ANOTHER LINK

Ted
Old 03-19-2003, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
I checked into having a V1 disassembled and installed in the interior rear view mirror, as is possible on the 996, but learned that the CL's windshield has a metallic substance in it that deflects signals such that the V1 is only about 50% effective. Of course, the V1 has no laser diffuser either. Windshield on E500 may not have the metallic coating. One of the Porsche boards has some DIY instructions that I saw last year. Might have been the Rennlist forum. I also recall that one of the BMW boards had something on DIY installation. There is a shop in Westchester County, Mobile Extreme 914 345 0848 that does installations of the V1 in rear view mirrors.

........The Passport SR7 or SRX or SR1 have entirely different sensor units from the display units. The sensors are mounted underneat your front bumber and behind your license plate frame. Totally unaffected by whatever kind of windshield you have. The radar signal is detected by the sensors and the display shows the respective bands. The display is carefully etched into your rear view mirror. This setup is totally divorced from your windshiekd. I hope this info helps.

Ted

Ted
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
LINK to SR7 website

Ted