Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dynamat & JL Amp & Subwoofer Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Dynamat & JL Amp & Subwoofer Question...

I need some of your guys thoughts about this set up I was thinking about...

Front Speakers: Boston Acoustic Pro60SE Components - 500 peak 250 RMS
Rear Speakers: Boston Acoustic SR65 - 400 peak 150 RMS

Subs (Can't decide between the two)
JL 10W7 or 12W6????

and I was thinking of powering it with the JL HD 900/5 - 400 4 channel - 500 sub

What do you guys think? I want to go for sound quality but I want a good amount of clean bass too. None of that constant boom ****.

As someone said: "The 12w6 is the way to go. More output with the same amount of power. The W7 is a better choice if you want clarity over volume."

Let me know guys! This amp and sub ordeal is the only thing stopping me right now from starting the process.

ALSO....

I'm wondering if anyone has experience working with Dynamat or SecondSkinAudio especially doing it themselves? Methods you've used? Which level of Dynamat did you install (xtreme, lite, etc)? did any of you double layer? I plan on covering the whole trunk, doors, interior flooring, rear deck, if you guys recommend any other places let me know.

I've been reading a lot of reviews regarding the two companies and both are great (Secondskin is slightly cheaper as well), however I'm stuck in that mindset with sticking with the more reputable company, but I know that's not always the case especially in the car audio scene.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM

2007 CLK 550
Dynamat & JL Amp & Subwoofer

You didn't mention what type of Benz your installing it in, or the HU your using. I'm dropped the link to my install in a 07 CLK550. Depending on your model you may need to interface to the MOST bus. I used a Audio Control DQL-8 to do the interface. You'll love the JL audio HD900/5. I've 2 one the benz and one in a Toyota. Can't go wrong with JL Audio amps. Good Luck with the install.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=55338502377
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
If you are short on space, you might consider the JL13W5...needs very little air space and it really gives tight and low bass.

I'm think of replacing the 2 10's in my rear deck of the E55 with the one 13W5. The power range for it is a continuous 500 watts...to get the most out it I've over powered it with a JL1000/1.

The other JL you mentioned are also great subs...just remember to overpower the sub...you can always back the gains down if you need to...

I've always been told to overpower the speakers to get the best dynamic headroom from them...most blown speakers come from pushing the amps too much...I believe it since I have never blown a speaker in any of my systems.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM

2006 C230
Running almost an Identical setup now......except with a pair of 10W6V2's.......no complaints.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 AM

2004 E55
I am scheduled to have JL 12" in a sealed box and Alpine installed in the trunk. Will i be able to hear good base with it in the trunk? What if i put a shallow 10 or 12 in the rear deck in place of the stock sub...how will an open air sub sound?
Thanks