Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

TV Tuner For Mercedes S Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S Class
Question TV Tuner For Mercedes S Class

How much and were can i get a Televison Tuner for comand 2.5, im in the United Kingdom i have seen one on ebay in germany will this work http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=21646
also were abouts in the car does the television tuner fit.

Thanks Luke
Old 03-25-2003, 09:38 AM

S500L
Hi Luke.
Be careful what you buy as I think there are two different tuners For the S class. When I went to MB Epsom they gave me part no 220 820 1597 from my chassie no and its £880.19 + VAT Don't know if a German tuner works or not as our normal TV's use PAL and I think the Germans use SECAM ? Unless the tuner is a multi standard one! If you have any luck finding someone who can supply one a lot cheaper or some adapter leads so you can use say an Alpine tuner (which it may be, in a MB box, as I'm sure the CD changer is Alpine) please let me know.
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-25-2003, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Germany uses PAL, so does UK - but the sounds frequency offset is different (UK is PAL-I, Germany is PAL-B (I think))
France is Secam
USA is NTSC

There are 2 tuners, one has PAL/SECAM/NTSC support, one has no NTSC support - and they switched to supplying NTSC capable tuner about a year ago.

The NTSC capable one has RCA jacks on it for the 2 auxiliary inputs, the others have white dil type connectors.

Either should work with your COMAND system (assuming its not very old, then doesnt support tv at all) - you will also need a new aerial pack (top of rear window) and a wiring loom, and a mounting bracket. Some cars may need a different trim panel to cover the TV tuner (according to my local dealer)

If you are buying new, it is substantially cheaper to find a german dealer and have them send it to you - Ive used MB Stutgard before (which is MB owned dealership) - but UK dealers are then hestitant to fit it :-)

Hope that helps

Richard
Old 03-25-2003, 04:45 PM

S500L
Hi Richard
Do you know if the MB tuner is an Alpine unit with special MB conections. Was looking at your home page and saw you fitted the same tuner to your CLK, would it be possible to make a lead to make an Alpine tuner work in my S class (it does have tv pre wiring), or are the parts really a great deal cheaper in Germany as a friends farther in law works at the factory and said he gets about 21% discount!! Thanks for your help.
Dave
Old 03-26-2003, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
No, its a special Becker unit - and talks special control protocol between COMAND and the unit - i.e you must use it.

The parts are cheaper in Germany than UK - worth a call to a dealer once you knowthe part

As your car is prewired, I think it has the aerials already, Ie all you need is plug in tuner (and maybe tuner mounting bracket) - I may be wrong about the aerial though

Cheers
R