Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Update on mercedes TV tunner antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Update on mercedes TV tunner antenna

............I was working on a project 2 months ago and got stuck because I forgot to order a Mercedes TV tunner antenna haead of time. Since then I have tried to procure one but have been quite astonished by how little information there is. It appears that no one on this forum has actually set eyes on an actual MB TV antenna. Suprising given the number of posts here of people stating that they installled an MB TV tunner. In any case. I finally got one. It is possible to get one from German EBay. Even then, they are seldom there and all you get is many ads for TV tunner but none for the antenna. Even aftyer you get the antenna, the Problem is not solved. The antenna is not actually an antenna but a series of 4 plugs that allow you to connect to the MB TV tunner's "wicklick?' plugs. Then you have to figure out how to rig the distal ends of these wires to an actual aftermarket TV antenna. I used a left over VDO Dayton satellite navigation antenna and the picture is great even while driving. I can now use my steering wheel controls to change TV channels instead of the aftermarket remote I was using with my integrated Alpine Tv tunner.

..............Does anyone know an easier way to use a Mercedes TV tunner antenna?

Ted
Old 03-23-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ted

I have not looked at this site for some time, but it looks as though I keep answering the same questions when I do, anyway here I go again.

I have an MB TV Tuner in my ML as an aftermarket fit.

My ML has a VDO Diversity TV Antenna system fitted to the rear screen, this plugs straight into to MB TV tuner. I had my rear screen tinted before the Antenna was fitted, and you can't see it from the outside of the car unless you know where to look.

Cost, about $70..

If you need any other information I will try to help.

Steve
Old 03-23-2003, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............thank you for your response. My initial post asking for iinfo regarding this topic was onfebruary 16th. I did a search and there was no info on MB TV tunner antenna's except a few people stating that they think you could use an aftermarket antenna, but no futher info. My luck with the electronics forum is that I seem to get the answer to the question after I have figured it out the long way. But I do get your point, there are still daily posts asking how to connect video input to the MB Comand unit.

In any case, where did you get the VDO diversity an antenna from and how can I procure one? Would appreciate specific website from where to purchase or name and telephone number from whom to purchase. Thanks.

Ted
Old 03-23-2003, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POST ASKING FOR INFO ON MB TV TUNNER ANTENNA

Ted
Old 03-25-2003, 03:42 AM

Antenna

Hi Ted

My TV aerial is a "VDO/Daytona 4 Way Diversity Antenna, model number MA6300.

It was supplied and fitted by Megacomm, but any good UK VDO dealer should be able to supply it.

Richard has seen my TV reception with this antenna, but I would advise you to get the rear window and small D windows tinted if you are fitting it to an ML.

I have just recently connected a trailer colour reversing/rear view camera which I feed on the AV2 input via the TV Tuner. I am now going to split and feed the audio from my DVD/CD/CDR player to the unused audio channels on the AV2 input so that I can still play CDs whilst using the rearview camera through Comand.

I will also be fitting a rear roof screen with two AV inputs (DVD and Comand repeater screen feeds) so that the rear passengers can have TV, DVD, CD and Playstation inputs. I now have all the required cables, I just need to find a good deal on a roof screen.

Steve
Old 03-25-2003, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Thank you for your reply. Regarding the reversing camera you are about to install, I thought you might be interested in seeing how I did mine.

Link to rear view camera install

You may also be interested in seeing the rest of my installs.

Link to rest of my installs including PS2

Another install

Regarding the window tinting, actually you can hide majority of the anrenna components underneath the rear ceiling at its junction with the rear windshield. I have done this before.

Ted
Old 03-25-2003, 07:19 AM

Hiding Antennas

Hi Ted

I was given the choice of hidden antennas, but my experience of hidden antennas is that they give poor gain because of shielding of RF by the metal bodywork.

Glass mounted antennas give a much much better picture and do not become so directional in their receiving charateristics..!!

Antennas see glass as transparent for the reception of RF.

Nice pics Ted, I am realy pleased with my Trailer rear view camera, the colour and detail is staggering.

Steve