Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2003 S Class - bluetooth options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
CT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55
2003 S Class - bluetooth options

(I tried to read the stickies, but they are pretty jargon heavy and I haven't had time to sort through it all. So apologies if this is a FAQ, but I think it might be easier to just ask.)

I have a 2003 S55. There is no phone stuff anywhere. No cradle in the center armrest, just a flat piece of black plastic.

I want to get bluetooth integrated to the system so I can use my iphone with the speakers, mic, wheel controls, display, etc.

I don't want to spend a fortune, and am comfortable with DIY electronics.

What are my options?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by CT1
I have a 2003 S55. There is no phone stuff anywhere. No cradle in the center armrest, just a flat piece of black plastic.
A flat piece of black plastic could be almost anything. Are you not referring to the plactic cap on top of the MHI connector?

Have you looked at the options from AWS:
http://www.wireless4mb.com/

I assume this is a US car? You could add some info to your profile.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
No one really wants to write out a detailed explanation, and do it tailored for every model car and every person on the forums interested in the phones. Such an explanation would be essentially the same as what is already there.

The posts do not use "jargon." Each abbreviation is defined - especially if you start with post #1, and then go to the post that applies to your car - clearly post #3, since it is an '03. The terms as defined for each abbreviation are reflected in the phone bulletins, and are the terms Mercedes has decided to use. If you want to discuss a matter with a dealer, those are the terms you'll have to use for clarity.

I suggest that you spend the time to figure out those two posts, and refer to the phone bulletin to which a link was provided. In addition, a link was provided to AWS as well - the same one Diesel Benz provided.

You can find an edited version of the guide at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2788377 - it may be simpler to follow. MBWorld does not allow us to edit posts for very long.

If you have questions after spending your own time in your own interest, then ask us those questions. To say "I don't have the time to sort through it all" is asking us to spend our time when you aren't willing to spend yours. Please don't ask us to start from scratch for you. We have already done that.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
CT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55
I understand. Thanks skylaw for your work on the forum, I appreciate it. I re-read the sticky post, and #3 in particular. It says my first step is to find out whether I have a PSE and if I have one, what version it is. How do I do that? Where do I look?

I spent about 10 minutes of quality time with the search function for "PSE location" and "how to find PSE" but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Check the phone bulletin for your car (http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm - the link was given in permalink 3) - it shows the locations of all of the phone system components.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-06-2010 at 09:06 AM.