Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2006 C280 Amp Sub install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280
2006 C280 Amp Sub install

Hello

I'm the proud owner of a 2006 c280 and I love my car!! I have the stock stereo no bose/HK the sound is clean but at higher volume the bass gets a little choppy. I want to install a amp and sub that I have from my last car to add some bottom end and give the little speaker in the doors a brake. I have done a bunch of reading on the install and I'm afraid I have worked myself into a stuper. I have some of the install worked out but I need a couple things cleared up for me.

I have found the way through the firewall for the power cable, right behind the battery so that's taken care of. I have found my way through the cabin of the car and have my cable path worked out all the way to the trunk. I found on this site somewhere that you can tap into the fuse box in the back for a remote wire to turn on the amp, a simple volt meter will help me find that but if someone knows please let me know. The big issue I have is where do I tap into to get the audio signal. I have come to the grips with the fact I'm going to have to tap a speaker wire somewhere as RCA's are out of the question. So my question is where is the easiest place to tap into a speaker wire without taking the dash apart. Any help would be great!

Thank you

Last edited by ryansod; 06-12-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
You probably have audio 20 as your head unit. You can take the rear spkr outputs and use a pac line out convertor that will give you rca outputs and it will also give you a turn on signal for the amp. They run about $30.00 and that way you can adjust the sublevel by fading front to rear if you wish. Once it is all setup of course. This is a simple way to give you the sub out yuou wish on the somewhat cheap.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280
I hadn't thought about using a line converter, was just going to use the high level input on the amp but I like the idea of the converter better, call me crazy. I did a quick look online and found http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=28 Looks like what your talking about, I live in the SF Bayarea and there are a bunch of dealer close by one's got to have one in stock or can order it.

So the remote is taken care of and a cleaner install using RCA cables is in my future. But I'm still not clear on where to pick up the speaker wires to tap in the line converter. I really want to avoid popping open the dash and getting at the head unit. Anyone know the location and color for either the front or rear right speaker wires??? After I locate them its all over but and afternoon spent wiring.

Thank for the idea Mertinsvi and TY for any help anyone can offer.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
I have the h/k system but the sub just wasnt cutting it. So I took the sub output for mine which was in the trunk with the h/k amp. But the idea is the same. Audio 20 isnt as difficult to get out and intercept the signals as MCS2 is. Plus it isnt most..I believe it is can bus only it should be easy for you to get this out and get it done. Search andd see if there is a diy for removing a audio 20 head from the dash.