Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

It Is Possible To Replace Stock Amp With 3rd Party Amp In MOST Fiber Optic Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It Is Possible To Replace Stock Amp With 3rd Party Amp In MOST Fiber Optic Systems

For years, the answer to the question "Can I replace my Bose amp with a third party amp, or must I replace the entire system" has been "You must replace the entire system, because the amp has fiber optic inputs from all components, and you will lose the entire fiber optic ring if you remove the amp."

No more.

mObridge has put out the DA-1000 fiber optic-analog preamp converter for MOST bus. See http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/...0#proddetail-2, and its associated compatibility chart. As I understand its function, it keeps the fiber optic ring intact, "fooling" the bus into thinking a fiber optic amp is present, but converts the fiber optic signal to an analog preamp output, and vice-versa. This would allow use of a 3rd party amp to replace a Bose amp, for example.

There is also a DA-2000, having a somewhat different output configuration, at http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/...#proddetail-2; it seems not to be compatible with as many cars (the S-Class is not listed). I do not know of other differences

The high-end audio shop that informed me of this device indicates that because the Bose amp contains the vehicle-specific equalization curves, it will be necessary to add extensive equalization capability in the new system. Also, because of the unique equalization used with Bose speakers, one may wish to replace them also if moving to a 3rd party amp.

The mObridge compatibility chart does not include some newer models. Sorry, I have no more information than that.

I am not a dealer, I do not sell these devices, and I do not know more about them than what I have written here. Also, I do not make recommendations on amps and speakers, and leave that to the audio professionals.

I have posted this to let folks know that for many MOST-based Mercedes, the prior conventional wisdom on replacing the stock amp has changed.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
this other ways also

simply recode the radio (except S and CL.... also can be done for most headunits 2009 and newer) for no amp, which enables the hi level out 30-18k hz (measured at 3db down at the extreme ends ) there is hump around 2k hz, but believe that is from the amp chipset internal to the radio and is the only spike that i seen between the freq range that was above the +/- 3db throughout when measured. it can be tamed easily via a notch filter or an eq.

the reason the s is not listed is the audiogateway is different then the rest of the vehicles. same with CL

the da2000 will be direct MOST to SPDIF and inputed into an audison bit1 via the tosilink optical input

Last edited by jbondox; 06-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the alternative way, as well as for making the difference between the DA-1000 and DA-2000 clearer.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
There is also a new product out from europe called Motus lab. It is a most only decoder product. Check them out..they are pricey but it could be another alternative.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I think brabusman on this forum is the only authorized dealer in the USA or N.A.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by Martinsvi
There is also a new product out from europe called Motus lab. It is a most only decoder product. Check them out..they are pricey but it could be another alternative.

bump on this also ! .. anybody ?
the AGW motus lab thing would be really nice (if properly working)
Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk63 Black Series
I understand that NAV tv is working on a part they call most-hur. I understand it takes the most signal and gives you 4 channels out with a sub out also. Not for all types of mercs but it is another alt.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NO, talking different things:

MOST HUR -MB is a RCA-to-MOST device, intended for << Allows the user to change the radio on select
Mercedes Benz vehicles while retaining the factory Fiber Optic MOST Amplifier.>> (as stated in NavTv website)

instead, I am NOT interested in replacing the Comand, but to get the opposite: "MOST-to-RCA" outputs, without any additional functions. Just, so to say, the MOST "interpreter" and the "digital-to-analog" converter.
2 stereo channels would suffice

while, if I am not missing some new product, as of now I /we can only:
- get the audio signal from Line/speaker Level . This unfortunately is not "optic" quality ..

- interface the stock amplifier/AGW and our downstream gear with a "moBridge DA1" device ... and get a Toslink optic. This is good only to connect to some processors (namely, the BitOne, who, unfortunately, does not have the Logic7 feature I am after).

- interface the stock amplifier/AGW and our downstream gear with a "moBridge DA2" device ... and get 8 RCA outs and additional features but, again, not the Logic7 feature I am after. Further, with DA2 they say the signal is not good enough for appending and additional processor .

In principle, the right thing appear to be that AGW MotusLab. but who knows anything about it ..

Last edited by dyno; 01-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM

clk63 Black Series
I beliee you will loose the logic7 capability on whatever replacement processor interface piece you can get to work...That is a harmon/kardon thing and is eq;d differently for each car platform..
I dont know other than hi level off of the existing amp you wil get your desired results.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Scirocco1
I beliee you will loose the logic7 capability on whatever replacement processor interface piece you can get to work...That is a harmon/kardon thing and is eq;d differently for each car platform..
I dont know other than hi level off of the existing amp you wil get your desired results.
The answer is in the post that I bumped..

I did not lose Logic7 with my MS-8 but I have direct experience only with taking the signal from the boosted line level and also with pre-amped signal from AGW's internals...
that's why I 'd be curious to get feedback from those who experienced "optic signal", either through the moBridge thing or motusLab's ..
Let' see if anybody will come out
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 AM

clk63 Black Series
I dont believe the ms8 does any processing only level conversion.

I dont know that you will retain logic7 with motus lab either.

I believe the only way to retain logic 7 is with the factory amp...but I could be wrong. \

L7 is ok but it isnt the end all. I have listened to cars with the lexicon system also and while neat isnt that big a deal either.

4 good channels and a decent sub go a very long way....
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you talk about BELIEFS ... but that relates to Faith

I am talking a different domain here. sorry.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
uhm, what vehicle in question? because if it is the CLS55, that has the junk factory COMAND in there to begin with, just gut it. its an outdated paperweight, especially after you see what the new CLS's have.

also i have done speaker level out of a an amp with the bit1 and have done optical inputs you wouldnt know the difference with your ears, further L7 is not really all that and why anyone would want it is beyond me, its a bandaid for music on a low quality sound system.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry to hear this from you, but anybody saying the Becker radio that's inside Comand is to be gutted, just does not deserve any comment.
in any case I was not asking for advice about the HU.

OTOH, where you stay on track commenting your experience of negligible difference coming from optical inputs ... that's interesting, especially if you could elaborate some more.

thanks

ps: about surround sound vs 2Ch-sound, that's just a matter of different tastes ..
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dyno
you talk about BELIEFS ... but that relates to Faith

I am talking a different domain here. sorry.
Ummm - in an overly narrow context, yes. But the comment can also apply to a surmise based on reading and study - such as of technical manuals or discussions - but without the personal experience.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jbondox
uhm, what vehicle in question? because if it is the CLS55, that has the junk factory COMAND in there to begin with, just gut it. its an outdated paperweight, especially after you see what the new CLS's have.

also i have done speaker level out of a an amp with the bit1 and have done optical inputs you wouldnt know the difference with your ears, further L7 is not really all that and why anyone would want it is beyond me, its a bandaid for music on a low quality sound system.
jbondox - since you would be the expert on this - is the Nav-TV's Most-Hur device for Mercedes actually your Opti-1 device? https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ot-easier.html
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
The Logic 7 surround is crap. It throws phase distortion all over the stereo image to try to fool you into hearing some surround. It especially mangles any compressed format like MP3 which already is doing acoustical masking to a stereo image. The fake surround just brings out the artifacts. The few times I've engaged the surround I've almost puked on the windshield!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lukily Comand saves you theese pains by just the pressing of the option for L7 on or off ...

unfortunately, for those who still keep suffering, it doesn't allow for "Mono" , as far as I remember..

As a side note,
it should be kept in mind that also "Stereo" sound is just an "effect" that's achieved by careful placement of two special microphones during recording, in a way that creates the impression of sound heard from various directions and to simulate depth perception .

Historically,
till November 1940, when Walt Disney's Fantasia, the first commercial motion picture with stereophonic sound was released, most of the recording was done in mono.
In the 1960s albums and movies were released as both monaural and stereo because people still had their old mono players and because some theaters were not equipped with stereo speakers systems...
Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Actually most recordings use a mixing desk to accomplish placement of the stereo image. Today Pro Tools software rules and most recordings can be sourced as mono (since most microphones are mono) then panned or effected with plugins that move the stereo imaging of the source. Some of the high-end classical recording use two microphones in a X/Y configuration positioned over the conductors position. There are also some specialized microphones such as Soundfield microphones with multiple capsules in the microphone body that use a front-end device to decode the mono/stereo/sidefield signal into a stereo or surround image in post. I know this is too much information but it really grinds my gears when I hear a piece of crap like HK's L7 crap all over a decent recording.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, decent recordings ..

but in practice while there 's some music that I prefer to listen in stereo,
I find more often pleasant the default setting in L7
Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Skylaw
jbondox - since you would be the expert on this - is the Nav-TV's Most-Hur device for Mercedes actually your Opti-1 device? https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ot-easier.html
it is now