Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Beware iPhone OS 4 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Beware iPhone OS 4 Upgrade

Here's what my phonebook now looks like thanks to the OS 4 upgrade:

Left-right scrolling not possible.

This on '07 GL.
Attached Thumbnails Beware iPhone OS 4 Upgrade-image2.jpg  

Last edited by lkchris; 06-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
lol
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Originally Posted by lkchris

This on '07 GL.
Yep, me too. Let's see if iOS4.01 fixes it. I'm also waiting for the iPhone 4 cradle
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Mine is still working what module are you using? Only difference I can think of is that it is jail broken/unlocked , but I can't think of a reason that would change the bluetooth functionality.

http://www.mbz.cc/temp/IMG_0003.MOV
Attached Thumbnails Beware iPhone OS 4 Upgrade-photo.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Typical Apple fanboys.

"Let's hope the next software version fixes it"

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Yup. Just as Windows Mobile had to be fixed after it came out. Only it took months.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
This is why I stick to true Linux kernel phones. If there's a nagging issue, it's generally taken care of quickly. If all else fails, it's usually easy to write a patch yourself, most of the time.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 AM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
I have the MB 3G iPhone cradle. I think I have one of the very early models. Mine did not show Home / Office / Mobile from my iPhone in my S65 even before the iOS 4 version. Take the same cradle into the E500 and everything shows up. The dealer researched this and says there is a sw update specifically for this issue.

Last edited by jeffreyy; 06-30-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
first it is is an antiquated COMAND system, not your fault but MB, plus the phone system is garbage, Apple uses the standard BT software so I am sure it is not Apple but more of a compatibility issue of the old system MB offered as new technology, thankfully late 2009 and on they seemed to bring up their audio standards (COMAND)

I just used a MB interface from NAVTV (Tooki) and had the Parrot software update and everything seems fine (06 CLS55)
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jbondox
first it is is an antiquated COMAND system, not your fault but MB, plus the phone system is garbage, Apple uses the standard BT software so I am sure it is not Apple but more of a compatibility issue of the old system MB offered as new technology, thankfully late 2009 and on they seemed to bring up their audio standards (COMAND)

I just used a MB interface from NAVTV (Tooki) and had the Parrot software update and everything seems fine (06 CLS55)
I don't think the MB BT implementation is perfect but if you say it is antiquated, then it has existed long before Apple made their changes and then Apple would have had an opportunity to make their implementation work with MB, just like most other brands do, and Apple did previously. Why did Apple change their "antiquated" but compatible approach to something modern that does not work?

I'm afraid the issue is that the BT standard is not accurate enough and leaves interoperability issues that need to be ironed out with experience. This is something where MB (Peiker, not sure if it was better with Motorola in the US, they seemed to optimise their implementation for their phones mainly) and Apple need to learn (I'm sure both will gradually).
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
parrot BT is way better than Motorola... motorola should just give up

anyways technology advanced with apples new operating system, which obviously is the measuring stick for all phones... same as the new windows 7, over vista.... some things have a harder time being backwards compatible

how many people had droid problems pairing when it came out... quite a few...

hell look at some of the topics in this section about blackberry's htc's etc....

the MB system that was used prior to the new C class was a band aid... plain and simple... and falls in the same category as the ipod band-aid

OS4 gets 2 thumbs up
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The OP owns two '06s and an '07. His Bluetooth dongles are likely B6 787 5878 or 6131. I can say for certain that my 5878 dongle is Peiker, not Motorola, and it uses the Bluetooth 2.0 core profile; I don't know the hands free profile version. I believe that 6131 is the same, but have not confirmed it with my own eyeballs.

My 2.0 dongle pairs with and functions well with iPhones up to the 3GS up to (but not including) iOS4. I haven't tried one with iOS4, nor have I (yet) tried an iPhone 4.

However, I tend to think the problems arise from the ISP's implementation of the BT core and HFP profiles - perhaps to some extent, the phone manufacturers, and even to a lesser extent, the auto manufacturers. The fundamental problem is, there is no absolute standard for anyone; there is a multiplicity of Bluetooth standards and profiles, and guessing which mix a given phone manufacturer, ISP, or auto manufacturer will use at any one time in nigh impossible.

For example, my wife has a Peiker BT unit running the BT 1.0 core profile (I don't know the HFP) in her Lincoln Town car. She recently tried to upgrade to a Verizon Droid Incredible. No go. The phone would pair, but voice transmission and reception were so badly overmodulated that conversations were completely unintelligible on both ends. We didn't even get to the point of checking phone book downloads.

Yet, when she tried the RIM Blackberry Storm II, also from Verizon, it worked perfectly in all respects. That's what she bought to replace her 5 year old phone.

Plainly, one new phone's BT implementation was written to be backward compatible; the other was not.

I suspect that the iOS4 phone book download problem will be solved, likely by Apple, shortly. It doesn't seem to be universal, but does occur in some MB systems using BT 2.0. That, or some bright person will come up with a workaround. Apple has addressed such problems in the past.

I hope so; it's a lot less expensive than replacing the entire phone system. If that were to become necessary, I'd continue to use the plug-in/Bluetooth V710 I currently use. It works fine in the plug-in mode and with the 5878 dongle (when I choose to use it, which is rare) in the S500, and with the new Alpine BT setup in my 450SL. An iPhone would have to work with both cars as well, before I'd buy it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-05-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
parrot BT is way better than Motorola... motorola should just give up

anyways technology advanced with apples new operating system, which obviously is the measuring stick for all phones... same as the new windows 7, over vista.... some things have a harder time being backwards compatible

how many people had droid problems pairing when it came out... quite a few...

hell look at some of the topics in this section about blackberry's htc's etc....

the MB system that was used prior to the new C class was a band aid... plain and simple... and falls in the same category as the ipod band-aid

OS4 gets 2 thumbs up
You must enjoy being the only one who is right. I do not disagree with many of your statements but I find it odd that you say Apple "is allowed" to introduce issues because some droid had issues with their first release(s)? And you feel a giant step forward with BT technology such as that from OS4 justifies backwards compatibility issues. Most of the car industry (not only MB) should have to swap head units because of this sudden leap in technology.

Personally I feel it is just a bug that happens when the manufacturer is new in the playground but I believe they will learn and fix it soon.

Opinions from other people who are equally wrong as myself:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I think you misunderstood me, but it is ok, I wish i was always right but that isn't going to happen... ever

I am just stating the benz stuff for that model year is old by any standards and is band-aided together with fixes.

skylaw, if you got the new bt add on device from alpine kce400bt that parrot will have a software upgrade for it. the nice thing about parrot is they are on top of it
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
skylaw, also if you got the cde103bt from alpine, it also can be updated... forgot about that radio
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I don't think this is really an issue my bluetooth puck is 6-7-87-5859 I had my software flashed over a year ago in it, so if you have anything updated since then it should work. I have the same head unit and mine is working.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

skylaw, if you got the new bt add on device from alpine kce400bt that parrot will have a software upgrade for it. the nice thing about parrot is they are on top of it
Yes - that's the unit I have in the 450SL. I'm aware of the firmware update capability, but haven't used it yet. I'm not knocking Parrot - but I do like to be able to continue using what I have in my S500.

Unlike folks who bought the new iPhone 4 already, I'm in no hurry. I will likely wait for the much-rumored Verizon CDMA version (I usually disregard the oft-repeated, always-wrong-so-far rumors - but these are coming from mainstream sources such as WSJ). CDMA and the new LTE 4th Gen network have an inherently greater bandwidth capability than the AT&T 3G or 4G networks, and all new smartphones, including the iPhone, are bandwidth hogs.

Thanks again for your recommendation on the Hertz Hi-Energy speakers for the SL; they're great. Not as expensive as Focal and others, but much better than the Alpine Type Rs that were in the car before.

For other members, I wanted some good 3-way 6x9's for the back of my '78 450 SL. It's a convertible, and I almost never use the hard top. As a result it's noisy, very noisy - and I didn't think sinking big bucks into a super audio system for that car was wise. Jbondox made a great recommendation on speakers.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I am glad you like them.

also, on my iphone it is a 3g jailbroke phone. my carrier is simple mobile and it costs $60/month for unlimited text, phone, and data...

I only noticed once when i was in the middle of nowhere that i had loss of service with it...

I love the iphone, tried the droid and blackberry, but love the iphone...

oh well hope the issues gets resolved i am out of here... gotta go to work...
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Merc E280 Sport
Originally Posted by lkchris

This on '07 GL.

Mine is exactly the same on my E280 sport
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

iPhone 4, iOS4 - no phone book download, "face calling" and antenna solution

I have been interested in replacing my now 5-year old V710 with an iPhone 4 - but as a result of the reports in this thread I spent part of today trying to locate an iPhone 4 to try out with both my 2005 S-Class MHI system (BT puck 5878) and with the Parrot-manufactured Bluetooth add-on component of the Alpine head unit in my '78 450SL. None of the local stores have any iPhone 4s that can be taken to a car and tested; they're out of stock for the next few days, and AT&T won't let store employees even buy their own iPhone 4 until the stock situation stabilizes..

So, I called Apple tech support to try to get a compatibility chart - didn't get it. However, the tech I spoke to said specifically that the Mercedes owners he has spoken to about failure to download in each case simply needed to re-pair the phone after the iOS4 upgrade. He said he specifically gave one owner instructions to set a pairing code of "0000" and it got his phone book downloaded. Odd, because the pairing code for my BT puck is "MBUSA" (62872). For whatever that is worth, I pass it on. We'll be interested in responses from forum members.

I also asked about a "face calling" issue that I saw written about over the weekend. According to some iPhone 4 blogs, when holding the iPhone 4 close to the face, calls may be terminated, and another call placed when not intended by the user. One blogger reported that he was puzzled when he had been talking to his wife when suddenly there was a brief silence followed by a former girlfriend (still in his phone book) coming on the line. His original call had been dropped, and a call made to a "random" entry in his phone book while the screen touched his face. Another reported he had been talking to a friend about a referee he described in some pretty foul language, when suddenly a voice on the line said "(name), you may not be talking to who you think you are." The call had switched from his friend to his boss. Not what you want to happen. This is entirely different from the frequently reported antenna problem.

According to Apple tech support, "face calling" is caused by one of two things. There is a proximity sensor located next to one of the speakers on the front of the phone. When it senses one's cheek (or whatever) close by, it freezes the screen controls to avoid inadvertent disconnects and calls. When there is a problem with this sensor, all kinds of odd events can be triggered by the "live" screen. One cause of the problem is a software "glitch" that is cured by connecting to iTunes, and restoring the phone's firmware. This is not a defect in iOS4; it would be something becoming corrupted along the way. The other cause of the problem is a defective proximity sensor; in that case, Apple will replace the phone.

Regarding the antenna problem, of course Apple has come up with its "bumper" case solution. Frankly, you can solve the problem by covering the gap between the antennas with a 1" long piece of electrical tape, if you don't want the additional bulk of the bumper.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-19-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I have to laugh about the ex dialed up...

I think the biggest issue with my phone is that I have a tendency to hit the mute button with my ear or cheek, resulting in hello hello hello from the other party then click...

hey i got big ears
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Additional iPhone 4 Information

I collared one of the sales staff at our local Apple store today; with some cajoling they let him take the store demonstrator to both of my cars and try it out. Here are the results.

With the '05 S500 (MHI phone system and Bluetooth puck B6 787 5878): Pairing was perfect, and a 350+ entry phone book downloaded fine. Phone book scrolling and paging was fully functional. Here was the surprise: Multiple phone number entries under one name showed as separate entries labeled home, work, etc! The name was repeated for each entry, then the number and type of entry. That's far better than I have seen with many Bluetooth setups in my MB. Voice quality was excellent on both ends.

Unfortunately, I neglected to try out the A2DP function (stereo music over Bluetooth). However, I did plug the phone into my Dension Gateway 500 iPod adapter, and it worked as both a music player and as a phone; incoming calls paused music, and music resumed when the call ended. Same for outgoing calls. The iPhone responded to steering wheel controls and COMAND controls when plugged in. I would anticipate the same with an MB iPod kit, but don't have one to try out.

There were a number of additional menu choices when paired with the S-Class - contacts, dialed calls, missed calls and so forth. I did not have time to check these out fully, but it was good to see the choices available.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not tried the iPhone 4 out with the V60 puck, with the first series of MHI puck (B6 787 5839), or with built-in Bluetooth systems that started appearing in some '09 and later models. However, puck B6 787 6131 is electronically the same as 5878, and uses the same Bluetooth firmware. It should work as described above.

Also: Some of the problems reported with iOS4 breaking phone book downloads seem to be from owners of previous generation iPhones (3GS and earlier) that have upgraded to iOS4. Those phones use a different chipset than the iPhone 4. I don't have further information, except for the recommendation to completely re-pair the phone to get a phone book download. We'll be very interested to hear from you to see if that works.

With the '78 450SL (Alpine head unit with an external Parrot-manufactured Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth/iPod integration unit): Again, pairing and phone book download were perfect. Phone book scrolling worked just fine. This time I did try A2DP, and it worked well. Unfortunately, control of the iPhone is not possible from the head unit with the current iPhone A2DP implementation; you must use the iPhone controls. It is an iPhone limitation, not an MB equipment limitation, and OS updates may provide the function in the future.

However, when I plugged the iPhone into the iPod connector for the Alpine, sound quality was immediately better than with A2DP; and the iPhone could be controlled from the head unit. As with the S-Class, when connected to the iPod connector, incoming and outgoing calls would pause the music, then resume it when the call was completed.

The additional menu selections under the phone book were not present with the KCE400BT unit.

I could not fully check voice quality over the Alpine unit because of a microphone malfunction in my 450SL; I verified that it was occurring with my car's setup because the exact problem occurred with the phone I have been using (successfully) with that system. I must check my mic connections. However, call quality was excellent between 2 phones (not over Bluetooth).

Anyway, I have ordered the iPhone 4, but must wait a while like everyone else. Will write more once it comes in.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-21-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Skylaw
I collared one of the sales staff at our local Apple store today; with some cajoling they let him take the store demonstrator to both of my cars and try tit out. Here are the results.

With the '05 S500 (MHI phone system and Bluetooth puck B6 787 5878): Pairing was perfect, and a 350+ entry phone book downloaded fine. Phone book scrolling and paging was fully functional. Here was the surprise: Multiple phone number entries under one name showed as separate entries labeled home, work, etc! The name was repeated for each entry, then the number and type of entry. That's far better than I have seen with many Bluetooth setups in my MB. Voice quality was excellent on both ends.

Unfortunately, I neglected to try out the A2DP function (stereo music over Bluetooth). However, I did plug the phone into my Dension Gateway 500 iPod adapter, and it worked as both a music player and as a phone; incoming calls paused music, and music resumed when the call ended. Same for outgoing calls. The iPhone responded to steering wheel controls and COMAND controls when plugged in. I would anticipate the same with an MB iPod kit, but don't have one to try out.

There were a number of additional menu choices when paired with the S-Class - contacts, dialed calls, missed calls and so forth. I did not have time to check these out fully, but it was good to see the choices available.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not tried the iPhone 4 out with the V60 puck, with the first series of MHI puck (B6 787 5839), or with built-in Bluetooth systems that started appearing in some '09 and later models. However, puck B6 787 6131 is electronically the same as 5878, and uses the same Bluetooth firmware. It should work as described above.

Also: Some of the problems reported with iOS4 breaking phone book downloads seem to be from owners of previous generation iPhones (3GS and earlier) that have upgraded to iOS4. Those phones use a different chipset than the iPhone 4. I don't have further information, except for the recommendation to completely re-pair the phone to get a phone book download. We'll be very interested to hear from you to see if that works.

With the '78 450SL (Alpine head unit with an external Parrot-manufactured Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth/iPod integration unit): Again, pairing and phone book download were perfect. Phone book scrolling worked just fine. This time I did try A2DP, and it worked well. Unfortunately, control of the iPhone is not possible from the head unit with the current A2DP implementation; you must use the iPhone controls.

However, when I plugged the iPhone into the iPod connector for the Alpine, sound quality was immediately better than with A2DP; and the iPhone could be controlled from the head unit. As with the S-Class, when connected to the iPod connector, incoming and outgoing calls would pause the music, then resume it when the call was completed.

The additional menu selections under the phone book were not present with the KCE400BT unit.

I could not fully check voice quality over the Alpine unit because of a microphone malfunction in my 450SL; I verified that it was occurring with my car's setup because the exact problem occurred with the phone I have been using (successfully) with that system. I must check my mic connections. However, call quality was excellent between 2 phones (not over Bluetooth).

Anyway, I have ordered the iPhone 4, but must wait a while like everyone else. Will write more once it comes in.
Thanks Skylaw! This was exactly the questions I had around the iPhone4 with my Bluetooth puck. Looks as though I have nothing to worry about, as I am seriously considering the iPhone4 as my next phone.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Great job Skylaw!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have updated the information at post 22; see post #208, https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post4177528

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware iPhone OS 4 Upgrade