Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Disssatisfied with COMAND and HK Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML 350
Disssatisfied with COMAND and HK Audio

I love my 08 ML 350, but am I the only one that thinks the COMAND system is weak? The volume is terrible - I can't even drive on the highway with my windows down without drowning out the radio. And the Navigation is from the 1980's.

I'm really considering doing away with the entire system and custom installing an Alpine or Clarion system with new speakers and sub. And, before you ask, I have the 'upgraded' Harmon Kardon system.

Before I go spend 3-4k on a custom system, someone please tell me that I'm crazy. I bought the car used with about 20k miles on it, so I may be experiencing someone else's problem.

I love the truck otherwise.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I have no complaint with mine. It's decent but I have my windows up on the hwy. If you want it to sound good with windows down you need custom system. Take into consideration you may be losing your factory warranty if you splice any wires.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
It's a very common complaint with customers and I am willing to agree with. The system is terrible. The only good thing is the phone system and if I didn't want the phone system I would have got rid of it all a long time ago.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by omcinto
I love my 08 ML 350, but am I the only one that thinks the COMAND system is weak? The volume is terrible - I can't even drive on the highway with my windows down without drowning out the radio.
OK--Comand is famous for its shortcomings, and there have been some issues with the electronics/stereos, but:

Windows down on the highway (75MPH?) with a truck profile and you expect to hear the radio easily? These are great cars, but MB cannot overturn the laws of acoustics. Close your windows, close the sunroof and the visor, and turn the AC on.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by omcinto
I love my 08 ML 350, but am I the only one that thinks the COMAND system is weak? The volume is terrible - I can't even drive on the highway with my windows down without drowning out the radio. And the Navigation is from the 1980's.

I'm really considering doing away with the entire system and custom installing an Alpine or Clarion system with new speakers and sub. And, before you ask, I have the 'upgraded' Harmon Kardon system.

Before I go spend 3-4k on a custom system, someone please tell me that I'm crazy. I bought the car used with about 20k miles on it, so I may be experiencing someone else's problem.

I love the truck otherwise.
you are correct... the audio portion of the system is ok but it is nothing great.. If you are used to decent systems than you are not going to be happy until you change it out for a better system..
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
YEP! it is weak, and I hear it alot...

there is a few ways to approach it, replace it or add onto it. you can get a decent audio signal out of it in hi-level mode but takes some changing of parameters, you can feed that audio to an audison bit1 processor and onto an audison 6 channel amp(lrx5.1mt) which will sound awesome even powering the factory speakers and sub if you have it. I would make a passive crossover network for the front speakers though as it is 100 watts going to them and the tweeter isn't very capable of the extra power