Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket controoller + Bt + Video + Mp3 + Nav + Sirius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG E63 (2007)
Aftermarket controoller + Bt + Video + Mp3 + Nav + Sirius

I have an e63 from 2007 with the crappy COMMAND system. I originally had the dealer install the MB bluetooth and MB iPod, but replaced those after about 1 month with Dension's Gateway 500. I am still not happy though. Dension's iPod interface is only slightly better than MB's (it is even worse when browsing lots of music since it cannot fast forward through A-Z). MB bluetooth just stopped working and never worked well (I could never transfer a single address despite following instructions, and in any case it cannot play music from a bluetooth source).

I know I could add bluetooth with a2dp using the Dension interface, but that is its limit.

I am also stuck with the crappy COMMAND navigation, which is far out of date (yes, I upgraded my DVD but that seems at least 1-2 years behind the curve even though brand new); finding businesses is nearly impossible; no traffic display or rerouting; etc.

Plus, there are a few things I wanted to add anyway....

So I was at ABT today and they showed me the Kenwood Excelon system. It is hugely expensive (~$5K when all is said and done to go all out) but it would allow me to have a modern iPod interface, MP3 capability, bluetooth with A2DP (I think), video for backup camera (and maybe a front bumper camera, since I have shredded 3 front bumpers so far), Garmin navigation, and Sirius (I already have, but would need to replace). I might also get a better amp and speakers while I am at it.

So here are my questions, any thoughts appreciated:

1) Is this worth the cost and trouble? Is the Kenwood unit really excellent or just okay? Does it have full iPod control that is easy to browse large volumes of music files? How is bluetooth connection, and does it allow streaming of music?

2) Are there other options I should consider? I know Alpine makes something similar - better, worse? Others?

3) ABT said they needed a video interface that takes a standard RCA video signal and converts it to the video used by the COMMAND screen unit...but they could not find one in their system... is there such a thing?

4) Is it possible to keep my speakers? ABT thought it might be hard to do, because without a new amp and speakers, the Excelon unit would somehow have to input directly into the COMMAND unit; but they were not sure that could be done. I really think the built in Harmon Kardon LOGIC7 system is pretty good for OEM, but if it needs to go it needs to go. Is there any way to preserve it and still use the Excelon or similar system?

5) On a related topic, I am trying to locate my Dension unit. Any ideas where the installer may have put it? I was thinking of upgrading the firmware, but without access to the unit I cannot do a thing. My installer went bankrupt a year or so ago...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Why not install the OEM NTG 2.5 COMMAND system that came in the 09 W211? It's a modern hard drive based system with better graphics, improved interface, etc. I think you can find one on ebay for around 1500-2000, and it'll look better integrated than something aftermarket..

On a side note, message me if you want to get rid fo that Gateway 500, I'm planning on buying one in the coming months anyways.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG E63 (2007)
COMMAND 2.5?

Great idea! However, it looks really complicated and maybe more expensive that the Kenwood system (which I think would be more advanced than COMMAND 2.5).

I found this link: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-ntg-my-e.html

The above seems to indicate that the install is so complicated that it should not even be attempted by a pro unless they are already familiar with MB wiring .. so that definitely leaves me out. Even if I could find someone who was that good, it sounds like I would be at least 1.5K for the COMMAND unit, plus several thousand for the install... and even then I think the Kenwood unit gives more flexibility and at $5-6K I am including a good amp and better speakers...

I couldn't find much about the COMMAND 2.5 upgrade though, so maybe there are some kits out there that make it easier?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by jsnorman
I have an e63 from 2007 with the crappy COMMAND system. I originally had the dealer install the MB bluetooth and MB iPod, but replaced those after about 1 month with Dension's Gateway 500. I am still not happy though. Dension's iPod interface is only slightly better than MB's (it is even worse when browsing lots of music since it cannot fast forward through A-Z). MB bluetooth just stopped working and never worked well (I could never transfer a single address despite following instructions, and in any case it cannot play music from a bluetooth source).

I know I could add bluetooth with a2dp using the Dension interface, but that is its limit.

I am also stuck with the crappy COMMAND navigation, which is far out of date (yes, I upgraded my DVD but that seems at least 1-2 years behind the curve even though brand new); finding businesses is nearly impossible; no traffic display or rerouting; etc.

Plus, there are a few things I wanted to add anyway....

So I was at ABT today and they showed me the Kenwood Excelon system. It is hugely expensive (~$5K when all is said and done to go all out) but it would allow me to have a modern iPod interface, MP3 capability, bluetooth with A2DP (I think), video for backup camera (and maybe a front bumper camera, since I have shredded 3 front bumpers so far), Garmin navigation, and Sirius (I already have, but would need to replace). I might also get a better amp and speakers while I am at it.

So here are my questions, any thoughts appreciated:

1) Is this worth the cost and trouble? Is the Kenwood unit really excellent or just okay? Does it have full iPod control that is easy to browse large volumes of music files? How is bluetooth connection, and does it allow streaming of music?

If they are talking about keeping the factory screen and using the KOS V500/1000 add on system to it, then you are in a world of fun... as it is the worse!!! Kenwood stopped supporting it a few years ago.

2) Are there other options I should consider? I know Alpine makes something similar - better, worse? Others?

If adding onto the factory, then you are talking about the Vhub 222, pretty much the same ball park as it is out dated, nothing else is out there for an integration besides those 2 companies

3) ABT said they needed a video interface that takes a standard RCA video signal and converts it to the video used by the COMMAND screen unit...but they could not find one in their system... is there such a thing?

there are several, but now the red flags go up, as they don't know, so you become a guinea pig, now if it was a new vehicle I would have a different opinion, but your COMAND has been out since 05 I believe.

4) Is it possible to keep my speakers? ABT thought it might be hard to do, because without a new amp and speakers, the Excelon unit would somehow have to input directly into the COMMAND unit; but they were not sure that could be done. I really think the built in Harmon Kardon LOGIC7 system is pretty good for OEM, but if it needs to go it needs to go. Is there any way to preserve it and still use the Excelon or similar system?

I would find a new company... you have an aux audio connector for your COMAND in the glove box, and if it is not there, then you can have the dealer install it for about $200.

Again if you are using the excelon system that i think they are quoting,, then you do not need to replace your speakers, or anything else in the system.

5) On a related topic, I am trying to locate my Dension unit. Any ideas where the installer may have put it? I was thinking of upgrading the firmware, but without access to the unit I cannot do a thing. My installer went bankrupt a year or so ago...

unfortunately, this is the way companies are now a days.......

Last edited by jbondox; 10-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Personally, as much as I like aftermarket, I would swap the COMAND as mentioned earlier. I would then add the UMI so you can add the A2DP streaming keeping it all factory.

Other options would to remove the whole COMAND system and add an aftermarket headunit, while I was overseas I picked up a MOST optical interface for an E class that I have sitting around, it allows 6 channels of low level RCA to be fed into the MOST system allowing you to retain the audio gateway and add an aftermarket headunit... I didn't use it yet and have it sitting around on a side note.

another option would to do what i did with the Maserati Quattroporte, and convert the factory COMAND into a touchscreen for the Kenwood KOS V500/1000 hideaway brain, Also did it back in the day on a 04 Cayenne with the Alpine Vhub.

You have options, it is just how wisely you want to spend your money.