Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Problem playing CD-Rs and CD-RWs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Question Problem playing CD-Rs and CD-RWs

Has anybody else come across the problem playing CD-Rs and CD-RWs in the factory installed CD changer? I just replaced my CD changer twice in the last two weeks and the Service Manager at my local MBZ dealership gave me a Dealer Techinal Bulletin that states:

Group 82.64 - ALL MODELS, USE OF NON-COMMERCIAL COMPACT DISCS IN MBUSA CD CHANGERS AND CD PLAYERS: Programmable Compact Discs such as CD-R ad CD-RW may not play back correctly in MBUSA CD Players. For complaints related to playback of CD-R and CD-RW audio CD's in MBUSA CD Players, verify correct operation of CD Player with a commercial compact disc. Due to variations in CD-R or CD-RW Compact Disc, MBUSA does not support their use in MBUSA CD Players. Do not replace any parts for this issue.

The dealership replaced my changer twice at no charge since I was not informed of this limitation. However, it is very disappointing and I'd like to locate an after market CD changer that can play CD-Rs and CD-RWs AND integrates with my system in a C 320.

I checked Crutchfield and they only offer the same lousy MBZ factory changer that I'm trying to replace.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Problem playing CD-Rs and CD-RWs

Originally posted by yoadrianne
I'd like to locate an after market CD changer that can play CD-Rs and CD-RWs AND integrates with my system in a C 320.

I checked Crutchfield and they only offer the same lousy MBZ factory changer that I'm trying to replace.
There are only two cd changers that integrate with the MB system. You've have one of them and the other is the Becker Silverstone 2662. Both have problems with some cd-r's and I have never heard of a cd-rw working in either unit.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I had no problems with CD-R, however never tried CD-RW. Try to change brand of your CD-R or write on lower speed like X4 or even X1. If you want to play CD-RW, then better choice can be connecting portable MP3/CD player to AUX.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:08 AM

2000 CLK 320
agreed. change brands of cd-rs to get it to work but i dont think that cd-rw's will work with the changer.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:41 PM

C320
Which brand of CD-R did you switch to? Also, did you use CD-Rs made specifically for audio data or general purpose CD-Rs? I've used Yamaha and Memorex in the past, but I'm not sure which brand was in my magazine when the unit broke again. I won't get those CDs back until the Alpine factory ships them back to the dealer that services my car (mag was stuck in the defective unit).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I've used Fujifilm, Memorex, Imation, Maxell, Sony, and a few I can't remember and I've never had a problem playing them in the changer of my '95 C 280. I think the only issue I ever had was the track numbers on one of my CD's would not chage if played continuously. They were all general purpose CDR's too written at various speeds from 4-24x. I would have to agree with the concensus that CDRW's won't work in your changer period.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Another thing to check is your burner. Try to burn test disks somewhere else and compare results. Results can also depend on a burning program. I use regular all purpose CD-R blanks bought at Fry's.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2003, 05:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
im not completely familiar with which model cd changer is in your car. but from what i know is that the mb changer is an alpine. ive had three diff alpine cd changers including the very 1st cd changer every made, 5952s. that unit played cd-rs fine! it will come down to media and burn speed. try to stay away from those cmcs or sony discs. use a media detector program (one comes with nero) to check your media. the best are taiyo yudens and verbatims. always burn at the slowest speed. using best media and low burn speeds, ive never had a cdr not work in my alpine changers. cdrw never worked. reflectivity in the dyes used for cdrw and cdr are different.

b