Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

10 inch sub in a W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W212, 1985 C10
10 inch sub in a W212

I am considering putting a 10inch sub in my W212. The stock HK stystem sounds great but its missing the low end. I curently have an amp, MMats D800.1. This amp is 1ohm and I want to install a single sub. I'm guessing a dual voice coil 2ohm sub is what I need (please correct me if i'm wrong).

How should I wire this up, can I tap into my stock system like i read about here? The amp is 550 rms at 1ohm, will it cause a problem with my electronics?

Any insight would be extremely helpful as I dont want to screw up my car. I'll probably get it professionally installed but I would sure like to go into the audioshop and not look like a complete moron
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it's ok to walk in an audio shop and not know... working at an audio shop in the past, it was the people that got on the internet, learned a few terms, listened to a bunch of idiots doing a DIY rig job (has a sticky next to it) and think they know what they are talking about.

I suggest you let them know what you want, what you have, and go from there. tour the facility, look at some of their work, and see if any red flags show up while you are there... don't worry about the red flags... you will know what they are, it is instinct...

just stay away from unique down there... they are still glorified hacks in my book...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Me, I would do a Hertz Mille 10, in a custom fiber glass enclosure in the side of the trunk, remove the factory sub, use the wiring to it to provide a signal for the Audison amp I would use, and wire appropriately...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Build yourself

A 10inch
http://www.decware.com/newsite/dbk10.htm
best little tunable sub I ever built.
read Steve's white papers on Car audio design.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Mille, .4 cubic ft sealed enclosure, drop in woofer... exceeds in output and SQ. no need to pay to download plans... www.hertzaudiovideo.com

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_ml2500.pdf

and box bldg is under technical on their page

Last edited by jbondox; 04-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 PM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
Originally Posted by jbondox
just stay away from unique down there... they are still glorified hacks in my book...
I wouldnt let that guy wire up my christmas tree...

i'd love to try to build the box myself, but i recently tried building a birdhouse and well lets just say it went straight to being condemmed.

With that being said, I will just go to a couple of reputable shops in the area and ask around to see what they propose. I'll se if they let me peek into their shop to take a look at current projects.

I mean, overall, its just a single 10 and an amp, not like im building and SPL machine. But i do want a good quality setup.

I do appreciate the insight and will look into both of these brands as I have never heard of them before
Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Ctrl+alt+Elite
I wouldnt let that guy wire up my christmas tree...

i'd love to try to build the box myself, but i recently tried building a birdhouse and well lets just say it went straight to being condemmed.

With that being said, I will just go to a couple of reputable shops in the area and ask around to see what they propose. I'll se if they let me peek into their shop to take a look at current projects.

I mean, overall, its just a single 10 and an amp, not like im building and SPL machine. But i do want a good quality setup.

I do appreciate the insight and will look into both of these brands as I have never heard of them before
jbondox has given me excellent advice in the past - and I am very happy with the particular Hertz speakers he recommended for my '78 450SL. Thanks again, j.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
no problem... wait until you hear the voce from audison... very impressive. pricing falls inbetween the Mille and HiEnergy line
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
Those particular brands dont see to be very popular down here. I azm going to have to find a particualr dealer. I ran by a couple shops briefly and asked about the Hertz and they didnt have too much to tell me. Perhaps I need to find a more high-end place
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Those particular brands dont see to be very popular down here. I azm going to have to find a particualr dealer. I ran by a couple shops briefly and asked about the Hertz and they didnt have too much to tell me. Perhaps I need to find a more high-end place
I will see what I can do to find a dealer in your area
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 AM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
I will see what I can do to find a dealer in your area
That would be great, I appreciate the help
Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I havent heard back yet
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
The MB audio systems are ok.

The problem is the low resolution of input software, codecs, and downloads that cut off music at 40hz but start dropping at 120 HZ. I'm talking about using iPODS and MP3 players as sources.

(I own and enjoy my iPAD, BTW, but I take serious pictures with a DSLR.)

I've transferred tracks to a DVD-R that actually reproduce subsonic bass in the car, eg, Dark Side of the Moon and Bach Organ Toccatas. Windows, MAc and Linux systems all have software solutions.

I know in both the CL and even the G there is no need for a so-called subwoofer if the source material is up to it.

Audio is fun and fooling around with speakers is like growing your own vegetables but consider the resale value of a custom install versus the low entry price of downloads from:

www.hdtracks.com

PS
I use stereo 15" subwoofers in my home theatre system so I understand where you want to go.

Last edited by grane; 04-07-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
here you go...

great guy just north of you... hifimike@audiologic.net he will call me if he has any questions
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
I just installed a 10inch kicker L7 solo barics a little while back with a 750 what amp. In all honesty I went the cheap route purchased everything onlinethen had pros install it. Sounds great in my w210. I've seen the trunk of w212 never with a system though but if its anything like mine it will feel like u wish u had another 10 inch in there but that's could just be me. Thimk a 12 will compliment better if just going one speaker. They seal these trunks good . Also make sure theydont take foamfrom the rearr deck lid to let bass into thecar you will smell the amp inthe cabin.
Atleast I'm my experience inmyw210
goodluck

Last edited by MBFLO; 04-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
all the more reason why you get a 10" mille subwoofer and send it alot of power!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Not to cut in on OP's thread but it may be basically the same thing he/she is looking for as well.

I am also interested in more low end bass. Preferrably a box that has a built in amp. Easy plug and play and throw in the back of the trunk mounted as close to the rear seats as possible.

Whats the best bang for the buck while taking the least amount of space as possible?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry Ctrl if this is not what you are looking for. We got the same car w/ the same prob and i'm looking for a cheap solution. I used to have a kicker sub that had it's own amp in my last ride but that thing was large.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by EmE247
Not to cut in on OP's thread but it may be basically the same thing he/she is looking for as well.

I am also interested in more low end bass. Preferrably a box that has a built in amp. Easy plug and play and throw in the back of the trunk mounted as close to the rear seats as possible.

Whats the best bang for the buck while taking the least amount of space as possible?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry Ctrl if this is not what you are looking for. We got the same car w/ the same prob and i'm looking for a cheap solution. I used to have a kicker sub that had it's own amp in my last ride but that thing was large.
It really depends who u want to go with then work from there some ppl are very picky into their audio , other can live with the good enough sound . The hertz mille will cost over 2 grand for a ten inch in custom box and a powerful amp plus professional to install it . you will need an adapter , a amp wire kit and some other lil BS they say u need and add it to the cost . On your $50K+ w212 it might be nothing to others might be a little bit costly for one speaker and amp , you will be gettin just bout best sound of one speaker but you might be interested in a truck series combo style where its slimmer and taller box specs but usually u dont get the best sounds out of those boxes and you really need some good deep bass to get into the cabin of the MBZ cuz the trunks sealed tight . When my speaker shipped it was allready wired and installed in a box just had to run wires from the amp . i got a great deal and if you want pm me , will send u link
Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Yes, the Mille would be around that depending on the amp, I personally am an Audison person, so I would do the LRx series which would be pushing it towards the $2k region, but on a positive note... you wouldn't need the $50 adapter LOL !!! They also have the SRx line of amps which I would consider for sub duty and would save a few hundred. The Mille woofer is around the same price as a JL W7 series, however where the JL W7 sub is an excellent woofer, the Mille outperforms it in output, quality of sound, and the size of the enclosure needed (Mille is smaller). Now as for Kicker, they can get loud, and I have had a lot of experience with Kicker, but it doesn't sound musical when it needs to be musical. It sounds more like it is trying to beat the music into you and the natural feel of a quality sound/effect is missing with the kicker square series woofer. Kicker was awesome at one time with the round SoloBaric's, and they actually sounded phenomenal... they pioneered the smaller enclosures with their design.

Personally, it all comes down to what is more important to people... and after seing some cars this week on the road... I have very little faith that anyone thinks like I do. I believe that if I am going to do something, it is going to be the best that I can afford, or if if there is a great solution but I cant afford it right now, then how long of a wait can I do. how good is the build quality... what type of warranty does it have... can i transfer it in the future to another vehicle? or use it in a home audio system...

I research everything out, played with just about every piece of audio... (some have different names but it is the same ol stuff coming down the Chinese assembly line).

Then it comes down to the persons ears or perception of what sub bass actually is... is it supposed to make you feel nauseous at high volumes, make your vehicle sound like there are 3 people in the trunk trying to get out, or the sound/feeling of how music is truly reproduced as if you were in the studio while they recorded it or at the concert... I listen to rock and enjoy the fast paced drums with impact, however most of it is reproduced on my midbass speakers not the sub...

In the long run... just stay away from the powered subwoofer of Kenwood and the Infinity Basslink...
Old 04-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Yes, the Mille would be around that depending on the amp, I personally am an Audison person, so I would do the LRx series which would be pushing it towards the $2k region, but on a positive note... you wouldn't need the $50 adapter LOL !!! They also have the SRx line of amps which I would consider for sub duty and would save a few hundred. The Mille woofer is around the same price as a JL W7 series, however where the JL W7 sub is an excellent woofer, the Mille outperforms it in output, quality of sound, and the size of the enclosure needed (Mille is smaller). Now as for Kicker, they can get loud, and I have had a lot of experience with Kicker, but it doesn't sound musical when it needs to be musical. It sounds more like it is trying to beat the music into you and the natural feel of a quality sound/effect is missing with the kicker square series woofer. Kicker was awesome at one time with the round SoloBaric's, and they actually sounded phenomenal... they pioneered the smaller enclosures with their design.

Personally, it all comes down to what is more important to people... and after seing some cars this week on the road... I have very little faith that anyone thinks like I do. I believe that if I am going to do something, it is going to be the best that I can afford, or if if there is a great solution but I cant afford it right now, then how long of a wait can I do. how good is the build quality... what type of warranty does it have... can i transfer it in the future to another vehicle? or use it in a home audio system...

I research everything out, played with just about every piece of audio... (some have different names but it is the same ol stuff coming down the Chinese assembly line).

Then it comes down to the persons ears or perception of what sub bass actually is... is it supposed to make you feel nauseous at high volumes, make your vehicle sound like there are 3 people in the trunk trying to get out, or the sound/feeling of how music is truly reproduced as if you were in the studio while they recorded it or at the concert... I listen to rock and enjoy the fast paced drums with impact, however most of it is reproduced on my midbass speakers not the sub...

In the long run... just stay away from the powered subwoofer of Kenwood and the Infinity Basslink...
As it seems you have a lot of knowledges about car audio... And I really haven't been into the car audio much after my first car where I dumped about $5,000.00 and had a custom install of Rockford Fosgate w/ about 12-15 speakers inside my lil VW Scirocco back in the day...

Can you recommend a sub/amp combo thats relatively affordable and best bang for the buck?

I'm not an audiophile listening for every single crisp tone and more into Trance/Techno. I have had good experiences with Kicker and Bazookas in the past... Not sure whats the latest and best nowadays and your opinion would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
hertz hi-energy 12" woofer of an audison srx amp
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
i guess i did kinda get thread-jacked

No worries, it totally went in the same direction i was curious about. I gotta admit 2K is a bit more than i had planned to spend. Kinda wanted to stay around the 1K mark.

jbondox, you mentioned above that audioson doesnt require an adapter. Adapter for? Can you please unwrap that a little for me?
I am asking because although i would like a cheaper option, I would absolutely prefer the method that will require the least amount of splicing and adding of additional parts to the stock HK system. So if that means a couple extra bucks, that is totally the way I would go.

Also, thank you for the reference regarding the Mille distributor/installer
Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM

E550C. Sold: '98 vette, '04 M3, '01 M5, '05 TL, BMW330 Cabrio (x2), BMW323 Coupe, '07 Benz C230
prof install tomorrow, JL Audio 10" Sub

i've had my '10 E550C for 18 months now and in my view the sound system is good, not great, especially lacking bass. so i decided to spend $$ for a good sub package. JL Audio 10w3v3 with a matching 500w amp, quality painted box, & professional install (only $75). they are tuning the HK factory system slightly and install a manual adjustment knob in my center console b/c i didn't want them to mess with the UI as i have the P2 package. it's ~$1,200 all in. i'll post pics and let you know how it sounds in a couple days. i think one speaker versus two is better b/c of the small trunk area.

any thoughts before i pull the trigger would be appreciated.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...64.0.0.0?pp=8&
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...07.0.0.0?pp=8&
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
i guess i did kinda get thread-jacked

No worries, it totally went in the same direction i was curious about. I gotta admit 2K is a bit more than i had planned to spend. Kinda wanted to stay around the 1K mark.

jbondox, you mentioned above that audioson doesnt require an adapter. Adapter for? Can you please unwrap that a little for me?
I am asking because although i would like a cheaper option, I would absolutely prefer the method that will require the least amount of splicing and adding of additional parts to the stock HK system. So if that means a couple extra bucks, that is totally the way I would go.

Also, thank you for the reference regarding the Mille distributor/installer
audison will take the sub signal directly into the amp without any adapters to convert the signal to an RCA end for a different manufacturer of amp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 10 inch sub in a W212