Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bad Reception, Aftermarket Radio (searched)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Bad Reception, Aftermarket Radio (searched)

I searched this forum and could not find a solid answer. I also consulted with someone I used to work with installing radios to this day at Best Buy.

I have a w203 2004 C230 and upgraded from the tapedeck/cd changer to a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and the reception is horrible. I have the Scosche VW/Euro antenna adapter from the flat plug to I guess what is standard.

I went back to my friend and he said if I have a power antenna, I might need the amplified adapter with the +12 lead on it but if I use it and it's not powered, the adapter might burn out. He said it's easy to tell if the car has a shark fin on top but mine doesn't.

Does anyone have a solid resolution to this issue? I did notice a plug I've never seen before that is metal and at 90degrees. Is this an additional antenna?

*Notes for anyone doing an aftermarket head unit install: I used the Scosche adapter but instead of simply using the pre-existing red wire as constant voltage I just repinned the yellow. There was no switched in the harness and I tapped the cigarette lighter wire (which in my year is further back in front of the cup holder as opposed to in the ash tray). This wire was black with a yellow stripe.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
use the power antenna out on the Pioneer to power the antenna wire on the 8 pin plug that has the power and ground in it ... i believe white or possibly black