Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navigation routing loses location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Navigation routing loses location

We've been having an intermittent problem on our '06 C55 with Command APS. From time to time when using the routing feature the routing function loses it's way. The map still works but the directions say "off road". Has anybody else had this problem? It's been in five times now and the dealers say that nothing is wrong, even when I show them photos and videos.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by lkfoster
We've been having an intermittent problem on our '06 C55 with Command APS. From time to time when using the routing feature the routing function loses it's way. The map still works but the directions say "off road". Has anybody else had this problem? It's been in five times now and the dealers say that nothing is wrong, even when I show them photos and videos.
This does sound like the Navigation unit would loose the GPS signal and would continue working with gyros and speed signal etc.

Did you check from the GPS status menu how many satellites the device can detect? If it shows "-", there is an issue with the antenna, if it shows "0" under open sky, there is likely an issue with the GPS antenna.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM

'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
The GPS function continues to work fine, the vehicle location shows correctly on the map. It's just the routing function that seems to quit seeing the location.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GPS function continues to work fine, the vehicle location shows correctly on the map. It's just the routing function that seems to quit seeing the location.
You mean the navi unit shows you at the exactly correct position but still says "off road" for navigation instructions? This is difficult to believe. Can you post a photo when the car is on a familiar road and states off road?

Could you give an exact reply to the GPS status question instead of saying "it is OK"?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Here is a typical screen. The Satnav function shows the correct vehicle location but the routing function doesn't. This episode was on Interstate 5 in northern California which is highly unlikely to be considered off-road.

Navigation routing loses location-iphone-019.jpg

I don't have the satellite option selected so can't answer that question, but the location is always correct when the system does this.

MBUSA is looking into the problem as we speak on a warranty claim. I sent them a number of video clips from several different episodes. We'll see what they say. So far all I get is "...we can't find anything so we're not going to do anything."

I can't say what my next step will be if they still deny that the problem exists, but I can tell you that we'd just finished looking at a '11 E350 Wagon that my wife really liked when MBUSA called to say that they weren't going to do anything. They did later email back to say that Engineering was going to study the problem, but not before she took MB off of the list.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a typical screen. The Satnav function shows the correct vehicle location but the routing function doesn't. This episode was on Interstate 5 in northern California which is highly unlikely to be considered off-road.

I don't have the satellite option selected so can't answer that question, but the location is always correct when the system does this.
At that zoom-level it is impossible to see if the navigation device believes the car being off road (it could be a few tens of feet from the highway).

Do you have any videos or photos showing the map at high zoom? Why don't you want to watch after the GPS status? If the navi processor looses a GPS fix randomly for a moment, pretty soon it would loose position accuracy enough to find the car being off road. If GPS fix is lost, the navi unit would need to work with gyros and speed signal etc. and this is mainly intended for areas like tunnels where GPS is not available but there are neither too many crossroads to navigate through.

In any case, good that you got mbusa looking at your car. Please report us once the problem has been found and fixed.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM

It's taken awhile but I've found out a few more things. On the second to the last incident my wife was able to confirm with mBrace (old Tel-Aid) that they could see her location which means that the antenna is working. The Command and the mBrace/Tel-Aid modules have their own sat-nav functions after splitter A2/5 independent of the other so at least I know that it's not the antenna. Before this was captured MBUSA technical support wanted to try an auxilary antenna or "we've done what we can and the case is closed" so we'll see how that goes.

A month ago they replaced the sat-nav processor module within the command and now the entire nav system is freezing up on its own. At least now with even more video of which shows eight satellites and three calls to mBrace documenting that they have a reliable location signal we should be able to get what I wanted them to do on visit number three which is a new Command head unit.

And now for the rant. As an engineer I understand how difficult it can be to troubleshoot intermittent problems but at some point they need to listen to what the customer is saying. There are only three parts and two cables in this equation and after six visits they've only replaced part of one. It's as if they think we're trying to put one over on them, but as my wife says "where is our motive for wanting a perfectly good part replaced unless there is a problem."

I'm still struck on the point that within my family there have been two instances with Audi where they cover all costs for problems out of warranty with one phone call and I'm on visit number seven with the so-called premiere German marquethat is still in warranty.