Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SQL help needed for CLS set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S
SQL help needed for CLS set up

I have researched the FORUM extensively and didn't get great info on our cars, I am not even sure on how to get through to the factory subwoofer in order to replace it with a new one. I have been trying to read as much as I can about soundstage, different woofers, tweeters, crossovers, SQ, on other forums but, I decided to try my luck from actual CLS owners.

I used to own a 2004 BMW 530i, I even installed door panels with more woofers to improve the sound in my car, got 3 amps, a 12" JL W7 sub in custom enclosure, a JBL MS-8, quality cables, the works... and although the sound was "good", it was never great, it just felt, uneven. The whole set up was very clean, all you could see in my trunk was a small capacitor on a corner of the trunk, full trunk space, all amps and cables completely hidden, I am big on clean set ups, I don't like neon or plexiglass in my trunk, I don't compete, I respect people that are into it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I recently bought a 2006 CLS 500, and I'm transferring part of my set up, so right now I have:

12" JL W7
Monoblock amp 1500 RMS
Two Tru Techonoly Ams 4X100 RMS
JBL MS-8
Micro Precision 5.8 Center Channel

My problem in my BMW was that the cabin speakers were loud, but the soundstage sucked!, the center channel would always be too predominant (although I kinda fixed it by lowering the MS-8 center speaker volume).

And the bass... well, awesome from the W7, very deep and warm, never overpowering, but MY biggest disappointment were my 6'5 door mids, the had no punch to complement the W7... I have been trying to read a lot about MIDBASS woofers that I could fit in the door panels in our cars and recommendations about MIDBASS woofers, but I am not too sure about what to get yet.
IF I read correctly on other threads, the CLS uses four 2-way 6 1/2 inch component speakers on the doors, plus an OEM 12" sub, center channel and rear deck speakers.

I would like to kindly ask for your opinion and expertise

How can I achieve bigger + tighter bass from the door speakers mids?, any specific brand or model you would use?

How can I get better soundstage using that MS-8?

I would really appreciate your help!

Kindly,
Kelvin.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
no real experience with the MS8

but I would do the hertz mille 6 1/2 midbass. by far the best speakers I heard, keeps up with everything and only sounds better with more music played through them

the tweets are nice from them also but will require a bit of modifications.

get rid of the center if you cant get a decent sound from it... i recommend the hertz HL70 with a tweeter, crossed at 400hz

remove the factory sub when installing the w7, will sound better that way

I am sure the tru amps set you back a little.