Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

bypassing mb fiber optics system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s55 amg
bypassing mb fiber optics system

So i purchased an 04 mercedes s55 amg and im haveing a problem with the command unit. It boots up and displays mercedes logo and then turns off after about 10-15 seconds. I purchased 5 of the fiber optic bypass couplers and complete the loop my idea was to backtrack and plug one thing up at a time to see if i could find what was not working. So i pull the amps and all out of the back firewall and it was a mess wires everywhere things unplugged a mess!!! I cant seem to get it to work even bypassing everything so my question is can i install an aftermarket radio and tap it into the existing speakers and just bypass the the fiber optics all together including bypassing the amp.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Yes....
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 PM

2004 s55 amg
What would be the easiest way to tap in I was thinking of tapping in at the amp I figure all the speakers wire are right there in one place I would take the amp out of the equation of course since u need the fiber optics to work and plus I think it's dead.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
It sounds like a headunit problem to me. Even if the fiber optic cable were disconnected, I don't think you should have a headunit startup problem. People have had factory amps burn out, but the headunit hums along like nothing happened.

So, even with your current situation of having all the wires in a jumble in your trunk, I'd try having the headunit checked out. It could be as simple as a software issue. Otherwise, you may be able to find a replacement unit on ebay pretty cheap.

If your car uses a MOST fiber optic system, theres no easy/cheap solution to use the factory amplifier with an aftermarket headunit. It's not even worth it really.

Depending on which dash you have, going with an aftermarket headunit won't be such an easy task either.

Did you cut the connectors off of all the plugs in the trunk?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM

2004 s55 amg
No I didn't cut them I just unplugged the existing wires and used the bypass couplers mb makes to loop fiber optics together. I'm actually talking about completely bypassing the factory Amp. I just figure That all the speaker wires plug into the amp so I could just pull the harness out and start to hook an aftermarket radio up from there. The head unit does boot up but it turns back off after 10 secs gives me a system unavailable sound unavailable message. Iv priced a new replacement headunit and they aren't cheap at all.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Ah, sorry I read too quickly. I thought you wanted to retain use of your factory amp.

This part might help you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...24eaa1&vxp=mtr

Problem is, most all aftermarket stereos have only 4 hi-level outputs, while your car probably has about a dozen speakers throughout the cabin. Also, I don't know about your specific car, but alot of Mercs run 2ohm speakers in several places throughout the car, a load most headunits aren't rated to handle from their hi-level outputs. Minimum is usually 4 ohm.

If you want to simplify it, buy a set of front and rear speakers and run power only to those speakers from an aftermarket headunit. Or go all out and start buying amps, speakers, subs, and have yourself one heck of a real sound system.

BTW, I mentioned finding a replacement used headunit on ebay. I realize a new OEM unit would be astronomical.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 PM

2004 s55 amg
u make a good point it may be easier just to run a 2 speakers in the back and 2 in front, I just want to get something it sucks driving around with nothing at all lol, I guess i need to find out how many speakers are in my car (04 s55 amg) and what size the speakers in the front and rear are so i can look for replacements.