Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bluethooth and Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Bluethooth and Cell Phones

Just check out this link. Too bad we can't get MB to do this on the US cars. In Europe they have the UHI interface which is essentially the same thing:

http://www.driveblue.com/(iw1p0k45k3rlkw55ttoqoi45)/Default.aspx?root=ck4000

If the link does not work got to: www.driveblue.com and look at the CK4000 product
Old 11-22-2003, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I believe it that because US is such a happy suing society, they have shy away from being sued for our ingorant. We sued the just about everything and even with the navigation system, you have to enter a yes, you have read the disclaimer before it gets to work. As far as cell phone goes, I think as long as you can answer and make calls without using your hands and keep your eyes on the roads, you'd fine. So, no toys.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:13 PM

No longer car shopping...
Acura beats MB to the punch...

The new 2004 Acura TL comes STANDARD with Bluetooth handsfree integration. I just bought the Siemens S56 and my 2001 CLK55 is up for sale!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:25 AM

2004 S55
I wouldn't say that MB is completely out of the loop as Acura and Lexus are the only companies I know of that are offering Bluetooth interface options. On UHI, I do wonder if that system can accomodate the wider variety of cell phones found in the US market (TDMA and CDMA phones) that are not used over in Europe where MB had Motorola develop the system. However, you would think that MBUSA would have stepped up and asked that a version supporting most US phones would be made for this market.

What does suck is MBUSA's reluctance to offer certain options over here that MB Europe offers to its customers. I mean, how ridiculous is it that rear seat entertainment options are not offered on E and S class vehilces here? Christ, considering the percentage of vehicles that are leased over here and those customer's reluctance to do after market mods on a leased vehicle, an option like that would be VERY popular.

Oh, and I almost forgot about this year's new tidbit. On the US 2004 S and CL vehicles, the new nav systems are DVD based. Interestingly enough, the front loading slot for the system will accept DVD movies as well. Oh, but here's the kicker, while you can play the disc and here audio through the vehicle's speakers, no video will appear on the display! A message appears saying something like in order not to distract the driver, video is not being displayed. I found this while checking out an 04 CL in my dealer's showroom. I tried depressing the emergency brake to see if that changed the result and no go. How's that for a slap in the face or at least a big tease?

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 11-23-2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
My Alpine system does everything the Benz's does. Except I have no steering wheel buttons and not the climate control and what's not the Benz integrated all of them into the Command. And I can watch movies while driving. But I don't. The people in La Jolla Audio recommended a device to install and connect the brake feature to defeat the need to step on the parking brake and pump the brake peddle for a few times before you could even run setup. And when the calls are detected, it would mute the music or movie.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Oh, and I almost forgot about this year's new tidbit. On the US 2004 S and CL vehicles, the new nav systems are DVD based. Interestingly enough, the front loading slot for the system will accept DVD movies as well. Oh, but here's the kicker, while you can play the disc and here audio through the vehicle's speakers, no video will appear on the display! A message appears saying something like in order not to distract the driver, video is not being displayed. I found this while checking out an 04 CL in my dealer's showroom. I tried depressing the emergency brake to see if that changed the result and no go. How's that for a slap in the face or at least a big tease?

........Interesting. I am pretty certain that someone will soon figure out how to defeat that safety feature. I can watch TV, DVD, PS2 etc in my CLK Comand screen and I have become spoiled. Recently looked a Maserati and was impressed by the car, but I have no knowledge of the car's internals and how to display TV on the navigation screen. seems silly, but I became less interested in the car. Looks like once you have these gizmos, they have a way of perpuating themselves in your mind.

Ted
Old 11-26-2003, 01:04 AM

'08 S550 '09 C350 '06 C280
Hybrid anyone?

The new Toyota Prius for 2k4 also comes with an optional DVD nav which includes bluetooth power as well as optional 'keyless go'.

Both options, w/ many others, puts this hybrid vehicle at a mild mid 20k.

IMHO nothing beats a three point star on the hood.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:10 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
2004 models of the S-Class, CL-Class, and E-Class have the option of Bluetooth hands free in Europe...not sure in the US. The new 5-series already has had this option since the beginning.

My Euro spec G55 came with the new UHI option which lets me use several different Nokia, Motorola, and Simens phones...but no bluetooth.