Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1999 W210 iPod USB adapter install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 733 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
1999 W210 iPod USB adapter install

Bottom Line Up Front: Easy install (3 on a scale of 10), works better than advertised, and is my preferred solution to upgrade, but keep, my factory Becker stereo with 6-disc CD changer (which doesn’t play MP3 format). You WILL need your radio code upon completion. I give it five stars out of five.

This covers the installation of a Denison Audio Systems Gateway 500 Lite D2B iPod USB adapter in an E-series car equipped with the factory Becker radio. The adapter is inserted into the fiber optic chain between the factory 6-disc CD player and the radio. The adapter is advertised as compatible with the Command system but I cannot speak to that. Plays MP3, WMA, and WMV. iPod or USB flash drive can be direct-connected or remotely via cable.

See the attached .pdf file for photos and explanation of install. Additional details are in the installation instructions available from the audio supplier. I am very pleased, nay, ecstatic(!) to finally listen to my favorite music in this wonderful car.
Attached Files
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it is an expensive band-aid, just replace the radio. even the basic $150 alpine radio has cd/mp2 capability with a dedicated ipod/usb input. takes a qualified tech about 20 minutes to replace that radio professionally. yes, you will lose the cd changer that will eventually break, or the cassette tape... which both are becoming outdated
Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
basic: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-151

better:http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-154bt

just think what you could do with better sound, more features, and higher quality

see many people make the Dension mistake and eventually the radio gets replaced, and they are saying... the Dension piece was so expensive I could of ....
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 733 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The Denison did exactly what I wanted it to do; integrate iPod/USB to the Becker radio while keeping the stock appearance of the dash. I don't use the CD nor do I use the cassette tape. I looked at multiple offerings from several manufacturers and, while technically impressive, the discontinuity of appearance between the potential replacements and the rest of the interior killed the deal for me.

Now...if someone would design a replacement that looked like an original factory Mercedes stereo but with everything behind the front panel upgraded to new technology, I'd be all over that like a chicken on a June bug....
Old 04-10-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 4matic (W210)
Bump for W210 interest.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
$20 can buy a quick and easier way to play today's music gadget in any old car equipped with radio/cassette player. No wire to hook up, no removal of anything.

Search for "ion bluetooth cassette" on eBay. Buy it.
Charge it, insert it into radio/cassette head, set radio head to cassette mode, pair it with any bluetooth phone. A full charge lasts up to 4 hours.
If it works well for you, buy a second ion to keep one charged while playing the other.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 4matic (W210)
Not too many cassette players left these days.