Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Anyone used a connects2 steering wheel interface in a 2005 R230 SL?

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Anyone used a connects2 steering wheel interface in a 2005 R230 SL?

Hello all, I am gathering together the parts and pieces to swap a Kenwood head unit into my 2005 SL55 AMG. So far I have the OPTI-1 Interface module to connect to the MOST fiberoptics, the head unit mounting plate for my SL and I also purchased a connects2 module to maintain steering wheel controls.

I'd like to familiarize myself with the install before taking the car apart. Has Anyone used a connects2 unit in a SL? I'm finding no info through search.

One side of the harness has a connector that appears to connect to the harness that plugged into the factory comand head unit. The other side of the harness has a plug I don't recognize:

Anyone used a connects2 steering wheel interface in a 2005 R230 SL?-img_23911_zps4f7a30f7.jpg

Anyone used a connects2 steering wheel interface in a 2005 R230 SL?-img_2390_zps4ecfc6a3.jpg

Can anyone tell me where this connector will go?

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
neither of those ends will work on your vehicle... ever. you need the aswc1 from metraonline.com axxess interface
Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
neither of those ends will work on your vehicle... ever. you need the aswc1 from metraonline.com axxess interface
Damn it was marketed specifically for the R230 SL as plug and play. Glad I asked before getting half way through my stereo install.

Would you happen to have any idea what model(s) this is for? I'd like to have some info to provide when I return it rather than just "I hear this doesn't fit my car".

Thanks jbondox your posts here have been invaluable as I've put together my plan of attack on replacing the comand with a Kenwood.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
well for one, tell them that harness doesn't exist till 2009 model vehicles. Use the metra ASWC-1 work all the time
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
well for one, tell them that harness doesn't exist till 2009 model vehicles. Use the metra ASWC-1 work all the time
Thank you sir! ASWC-1 ordered.

Will the ASWC-1 require cutting or splicing any wires in my factory harness to install?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
ignition, ground, and the 2 CAN wires (brown and Brown/red) you can run a pair of twisted wires back to the audio gateway and make the connections there as you have to run the antenna to it anyways.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 5-series
r230 ASWC-1 Steering controls and FM Conection

I have the ASWC-1 and for the life of me can't get it to work. I've tried connecting Pink and Pink/blue to canbus twisted b=pairs in two locations, behind passenger seat at amp and drivers kick panel. Same results. It can't detect the car. Also expected resistive variation outputs from ASWC-1 via 3.5m jack to Android head unit. Test meter shows nothing.
Also, can not determine the right tap in location for the FM antenna. I assumed it was a small box (amplifier?) attached to the amp behind the passenger seat. That's provided no signal. I've even used the amplified adapter and still nothing. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by jf2615
I have the ASWC-1 and for the life of me can't get it to work. I've tried connecting Pink and Pink/blue to canbus twisted b=pairs in two locations, behind passenger seat at amp and drivers kick panel. Same results. It can't detect the car. Also expected resistive variation outputs from ASWC-1 via 3.5m jack to Android head unit. Test meter shows nothing.
Also, can not determine the right tap in location for the FM antenna. I assumed it was a small box (amplifier?) attached to the amp behind the passenger seat. That's provided no signal. I've even used the amplified adapter and still nothing. Any help greatly appreciated.
Hi, did you manage to get the ASWC-1 working?

Cheers Soren