Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

GPS Tracker and Keyless Go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
GPS Tracker and Keyless Go

Hi, I'm just about to take delivery of a new SL500, and am looking at insurance options. My current insurer will not cover me unless I install a Thatcham Approved, Cat 5 tracker. The Cat 5 difference seems to be a unique driver ID card/fob that needs to be kept separate from the keys, but on your person whenever you drive.

Given that my car will have keyless go, I'm a little worried that 2 RF devices both potentially on the same frequency band would interfere with each other. I hope the designers have considered this and developed compatible protocols, but wondered if anyone here had any experience?

Thanks!

Dave.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63s edition 1
Hi Dave

i actually just googled to see if anyone had this exact issue.

I have just had a tracker installed in my car and am having problems with the keyless go system.

If I put the key slightly away from the car it all works fine, but if it is close to the car the car won't open at all.

So it does look like it can cause an issue, I will have to get the tracker disconnected to test 100% but i am about 98% sure that is what is causing the issue.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

If you talk to comand.co.uk (near you in UK ...) they can check the frequency of the Keyless Go and of the CAT5 trackers they can fit. (Well, i'll do it ....)

EU frequency for KG is different to USA frequency

Richard
Old 05-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
I thought this thread had died some time ago... I now have the car and luckily there have been no issues with the Tracker interfering with Keyless Go. Sorry to hear of your problem lysaer. I guess the exact model of a Tracker, plus its installation position in the car could be a factor.