Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

AVIN Avant-2 Android Navigation System Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 Sedan
AVIN Avant-2 Android Navigation System Review

After a ton of research, I decided to replace the head unit on my 07 E63 with the new w211 AVIN Avant 2, before I get into my review, let me say that AVIN is one of the best companies to work with in terms of customer service. Tommy is the Man! I worked with Tommy via email/phone for a few days once he had the production done on the unit and the unit was at my house within a few days of ordering it. You guys can check it out here:

https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...on-system.html

The install was fairly easy, although a friend owns an audio shop and I had him do most of the work. This my first go around with a Mercedes and I didn't want to get stuck, plus my AMG is very dear to my heart, so best left to a professional. I will go into further details on the install in a future post.

I am writing this from an android phone standpoint, I am not an apple guy, and never will be, being in IT I prefer the open source nature of android phones. I did try out the IPOD connector that is included with the unit, it is a dongle that is part of a bundle that you run over the the glove compartment, no issues, the format on the avin unit is a lot better than the standard Mercedes ipod adapter, and ties into the steering controls just like the factory unit. Now on to the functionality.

Ok Google- speaking apps that allow you to controls commands via your voice works great and makes the system very easy to use. They are tied right with Google, so when you ask it to "find" something it will refer right to Google, or in the case of directions, Google maps.

Navigation-SYGIC- its a great app, works very well, we ran the GPS antenna up through the side pillar into the rear view mirror, fits nicely, all of the US maps are included on a SD card, that is located on the left top of the unit.

-Bluetooth capability(phone calls), in terms of Bluetooth, it works pretty well. I use a custom ROM on an old Xperia mini, and it connected right up and my contacts synched to the unit. The phone system is pretty good and its fairly easy for the person on the other line to hear you. once you end the call on your steering wheel, the unit picks up where you left off with whichever ever application that you are using at the time. The OEM phone buttons on the steering wheel work just as well with unit as they do with the factory Mercedes unit.

-Bluetooth Music, it works that about all I can say, I don't feel using BT streaming is a value, especially with the unit having a SD card slot which brings me to the next part. the music.........

MX player- comes as a default app, when you press the SD card button, that's what launches. SD shows up on your cluster, with the track #. It work well enough for most users, however if you have a huge music collection I would side load power amp, which is a lot more intuitive, and looks way better. I am working with Tommy to switch the SD button over to default to the power amp app (using poweramp shows up as other in the instrument cluster, but all OEM buttons work) and get rid of MX player all together.

DVD's- DVD show's in the instrument cluster, track and time as well. They work, the display on the unit is crisp and clear.

Torque- there are many uses for this app and if you work on your car on your own, it's invaluable. Tommy throws in 2 BT adapters the black one with the power light works best.

Internet- I use my phone as a wifi hot spot and it works like a charm, if you guys use a android tablet, it exactly the same.

Overall I have to say that the AVIN unit is way better than the factory one and since it fits in the factory slot, looks like the factory unit, and requires no modification, the choice is a no-brainier. There is one caveat. When installing you remove the MOST amp and you lose your factory center channel and Sub, I don't mind this as I plan to amplify and JL clean sweep the sound, which will give me back my center channel and allow me to put in a 10 in the factory mount. The sound is great on the factory speakers with it, there are too many features to list, its essentially like having an android tablet in your dashboard. You also retain the use of all your buttons on your steering wheel like OEM. I have been using the unit on and off for about 60 days now, I have side loaded many applications, downloaded applications from Google play and have had no issues. Tommy hit it out of the park with this one, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, and once again, go AVIN!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
What Android version?

Is it really a 4.4 variant?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
scam

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...de-w211-2.html
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 AM

2007 E63 Sedan
no scam, just MHO

it's 4.1.1 , everyone is entitled to the own opinion. Not part of any scam, just didn't like my old head unit, had a dynavin in my old car(hated it) and saw some pretty good reviews on the avin unit on the bmw forums. I have had a good experience with avin, and thought I would pass it on, have a nice day..................
Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater

;yawn:
Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 AM

2006 ML 350
AVIN Unit for W164

I have recently purchased and had installed a AVIN unit. I am very pleased with my unit. I totally agree with you that there customer service is second to none. Tommy is indeed the man. He has been there with me every step of the way and answered all of my questions quickly. I have a video on you tube @ this link. Check it out and see for yourself.

The Bluetooth works well. I decided to go with the external mic. Tommy sent me an external mic and it works like a charm with no issues.

My iPod connects well with the unit and I am able to play my music with no issues.

I also use the usb connection to play music through the portable drive and it is also very clear.

I had the MOST interface unit installed as well and I am making great use of my factory amp and Harman Kardon speakers and it sounds great.

I also use Sygic for my navigation. Tommy gave me some sites to look over that I could choose other options for navigation if I chose to do so.

I am satisfied that AVIN has come out with a unit that works very well.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
and the scam continues... thanks for joining to post... LOL
Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Aprils fool?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:07 AM

2006 clk350
Avin avanti2

I finally installed the avin unit into my clk350 cabrolet. This was after trying (as a nubi) a pioneer unit and one of avin competitors off amazon. Both of those units went back. Let me begin by saying that I'm generally pleased but it probably took about 30 hours to finally get it installed, and I have installed car radios before (in a different - 30 years ago life).

First, the unit they sell is supposed to fit into a w209 with "some" modifications. It was in my opinion a lot of modifications including cutting mounting tabs on the radio, cutting dash trim etc.. In any case it will fit with a little (1/16 inch) gap on the bottom between the radio and the Ac controls.

The most unit is working and the sound coming from the unit is pretty good including the sub woofer. Using the fiber optics and the installed amp in the mb is interesting including learning the ring, the direction of the cables polarity as you need to reinstall the fiber cable from the radio to the most unit.

Yes the most unit, will only power the volume (confirmed with avin support) on the SW. If you want full swc you can't do fiber optic and so you end up installing the 6 meter cable to the back. Wifi will only pick up the strongest signals due to shielding (again per avin)

Having said all of the above, the unit is way above anything Mercedes provides for my car anyway at 1/4-1/2 the cost (without the sweat equity) full android so you can have anything Bluetooth, sd, UBS, gps, obd2, weather on the launcher, google maps wake etc.

Overall a buy.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
LMAO... OK, we know this is a fake spam post... you think were stupid?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM

G - 55 AMG, E 320 Coupe Sportline, C 230 kompressor
Originally Posted by jbondox
LMAO... OK, we know this is a fake spam post... you think were stupid?
hi! i'm writting because i need some serious advice
i have a 2007 g55 amg with a comand unit that doesn'e have bluetooth, phone, gps, iphone, aux, or anything
just radio and cd changer wich i never use

what would yo recommend for getting some audio features on my g wagon???!!!

i would be happy with just bluetooth or aux

any suggestions please!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 AM

Cl500
Thanks for this post.
Made me go to the site and despite 1.30am (NYC time) a gentleman by the name Tommy (online chat support) answered at least 20 questions I had for him without hesitation. I think I'm going to give them a chance as well.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by jean_pierre84
hi! i'm writting because i need some serious advice
i have a 2007 g55 amg with a comand unit that doesn'e have bluetooth, phone, gps, iphone, aux, or anything
just radio and cd changer wich i never use

what would yo recommend for getting some audio features on my g wagon???!!!

i would be happy with just bluetooth or aux

any suggestions please!
MoBridge unit for sure on this vehicle phone/aux/a2dp/ipod