Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

BT Streaming, add'l upgrade options for W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it is carplay also
Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 182 Likes on 113 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
Originally Posted by rheftmann
I'm looking for a CarPlay (Apple iPhone) solution and a capacitive display

If you buy a unit with a capacitive display, I suggest you order an anti-glare screen protector right away. The glass has an incredible amount of glare in the sun, to the point where you can't see the display.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 W211 (E320)
Touch not smudge

Suggestion taken, EuroDriverSD. Don't want my sunroof blinding my screen!

I'm taking a leap of taste on the Alpine ILX-007. Call me Apple-struck, but all the things reviewers hate about it are what I'm looking for. It doesn't do a darn thing my iPhone isn't doing. Perfect. I don't want to watch movies, see what's behind me, or allow for Androids. It's got no BlueTooth. Good. Switching to BlueTooth is a bigger pain than just plugging in, which I do anyway to recharge and there's no chance of it Zombie-answering like the original phone did when the car is in my garage, like it used to.
Next I've got a bunch of spare parts (the old phone'n'puck, CD player, amp', etc.) to get rid of to help pay for the major transplant (fiber back to copper wire, plus associated components like the amp and trim pieces).
Old 02-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Glad you found what you are looking for. However, I'm curious about your aversion to Bluetooth - it's pretty much a necessity these days. I might be able to refer you to a place to get a good price on the unit and cheap installation - pm me if you are interested.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 W211 (E320)
Aversion to BlueTooth is putting it too strongly

I'm not averse to BlueTooth but I avoid redundancy always all the time. My startup routine includes plugging in the phone (before forgetting my seat belt) and it has BT, so I do have BT. Check.
My previous MBz had a new HU and the BT was an annoyance; slow and iffy connection, interference and messing with controls to choose it, and at best, much worse sound than the wired connection. And I don't want to risk walking away from the car with an almost dead phone instead of a fully charged one. My mobile phone plan has me covered everywhere I go, so I don't need yet another nav system besides Apple Map, which I'm looking forward to having extended from my various computers and phone to the car because it coordinates with my mail contacts, calendar, etc. under iCloud. Google maps is a good enough Plan B. Any map old enough to be burned on a DVD is suspect.
I already started with a local installer (can we name names on this site?). They got the excellent Yelp ratings, but more importantly, a friend who really is a rocket scientist and brutally blunt with his opinions had his HU replaced there and said they did a good job, which would be six out five stars.
I interviewed a number of shops and private parties and nobody likes the Alpine, but one guy begrudgingly got my reasons, chalked them up to the kind of thing an Apple fan boy would say, and came up with a European fit kit which is not only the bezel but a insulated case for the small mech-less chassis. He's also ready to tackle the electronics behind swapping out the amp and abandoning the existing fiber optic system, then getting me the space now wasted by CD players, cup holders, and car phone. This is after all, a car, and not a living room.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rheftmann
I avoid redundancy always all the time.
Lol, just had to call you on that one!

Glad you found just what you were looking for!