Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

BT Streaming, add'l upgrade options for W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
BT Streaming, add'l upgrade options for W211

Ok, heads-up: this is going to be long...

I have a facelifted 2008 E-350 (production date 5/2007) with COMMAND navigation and Logic 7 sound system. I added the OEM Bluetooth puck. Upon purchase (without doing my research thoroughly), I installed a Dension Gateway 500. Problem is, I use an android phone (Samsung Note 4). Both the OEM BT puck and the Gateway 500 have some limitations that I want to improve, and at a minimum, I need A2DP streaming, plus a way to play MP3's with a decent browsing interface (including song/title, etc info). It came with the BT1500 but I didn't bother installing it, as I've read it doesn't play well with the vehicle's system.

Issues:
The OEM BT puck is annoying because many times, it will pick up my phone calls when the car is parked outside (and I can't hear anything, nor can my callers until I turn off the BT connection on the phone). Slight annoyance and not a deal breaker, but I'm looking for a better system.

The Gateway 500 allows me to insert a thumb drive and it displays song/title info, but it's nearly impossible to navigate. I set up a few folders organized by genre/albums/artists. However, the GW 500 will only browse by artist or song title - organized under its own incomprehensible arrangement, making it impossible for me to pick a genre or album - even a particular song while driving.

After all of this, I still don't have A2DP. I receive my work voicemails via email and when I need to listen to them on the go, I still don't have a hands-free method to do so. It would also be nice to have streaming access to Pandora, etc.

Options I have considered:
I looked into the Seicane aftermarket head unit but apparently, it does not play well with the Logic 7 system. Even though my COMMAND unit is not touch-screen, the navi system is poor and does not have BT streaming, replacing with a non-fiber optic system is my last resort. I want to maintain the cluster display functionality.

The ViseeO Tune2air seems like my best option right now, as it is the least expensive, streams A2DP and allows the OEM phone system to pick up the calls. The drawback is that is does not display song/title info from android phones.

I have also looked into m0bridge products but they also seem to be configured for Apple devices and lack display functionality for android devices.

Finally, Dension seems to have some new products - the Gateway 500S BT and the Blueway - not much info seems to be available for them and honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two as far as included features. The product info states they work with android but I can't tell if song/title info is a functional feature. Based on my experience with the Gateway 500, I'm a little leery, but would really like to find more info from someone who has used them.

Can anyone offer me any info about their experience with these products, make some recommendations, or suggest some alternative products that would work well for my needs/wishes? I know these topics have been covered ad nauseum in the past, but given the availability of newer products, and considering that any option is not cheap, I'd appreciate some updated info/advice.

TIA
Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I will keep it short. Replace it! If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while than add the new Kenwood (KW) DDX9703s or 9702sto it with the HDMI and MHL interface for your Note 4. You will be able to mirror and control your N4 from the KW. The local shop here sells the hell out of the optical interfaces ($400 shipped LINK: http://www.access1alarm.com/vehicle-...-mercedes-benz) to replace the factory antique radio. you will need a mounting kit and an antenna extension. If you want steering wheel controls the Metra ASWC-1 will work perfectly.

you will need the HDMI adapter to MHL, and then the 4 pin USB micro to 11 pin MHL adapter ($10) Add Sirius for $50 and you have everything! Further if you are running lollipop or higher you can use AndroidAuto, similar to Apple's carplay.

remember your 08 radio is the same as the 04 which was designed in 02... putting it in perspective....hello 2016! That is probably 5 smartphones ago, 3 PC's.... well you get it.

If you need help Pm me since i am on holiday.... still
Old 01-15-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for the info, jbondox, this device just opened up a whole world of possibilities!

The Opti-1 seems a bit expensive, but a little less than options such as the Dension and m0bridge solutions, which are not going to give me a complete update of all features (i.e., navigation, touchscreen, etc), so I figure it's worth it for future-proofing. The reviews and comments here on the forum are pretty impressive.

I called and spoke with Jim, who is working on a quote for me.

Thanks for your suggestions on the head units. They look very good but if I'm going to go through the expense, I'd like integrated navigation (I just don't like to depend on my phone's internet connection while on the go in unfamiliar places, and it also seems the 9703S is not on the market yet).

I previously used a DNX 9990HD (I own 2 of them, in fact. One is in my wife's car and I gave mine to my daughter) which I loved a lot of things about it - especially the navigation. However, they take a long time to boot up. Also, both units had to go in for repair twice within a year of buying them - it makes me wonder about KW's quality control. However, I haven't seen other brands that use Garmin.

Any suggestions on a currently available HU with integrated Garmin Navigation that is a little zippier on boot time than the 9990HD?
Old 01-16-2016, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Jim, Tim and Sam are great people to deal with. That little shop puts out some serious work and the techs are great and slammed all the time.

do the update on the KW unit, I think a new one came out in July last year. will make boot up faster.

all the KW seem to have long boot up until the update. warning!!! just do the update with the vehicle running so the radio doesn't die from a low battery in the middle of the update.

I don't know of any other radio with Garmin.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM

A million thanks for your advice and reccomendations, jbondox. I have the Opti-1 on the way and I'm going to install a Kenwood DNN992.

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 01-18-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Nice! Let us know how you like it when you get it together.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by jbondox
I will keep it short. Replace it! If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while than add the new Kenwood (KW) DDX9703s or 9702sto it with the HDMI and MHL interface for your Note 4. You will be able to mirror and control your N4 from the KW. The local shop here sells the hell out of the optical interfaces ($400 shipped LINK: http://www.access1alarm.com/vehicle-...-mercedes-benz) to replace the factory antique radio. you will need a mounting kit and an antenna extension. If you want steering wheel controls the Metra ASWC-1 will work perfectly.

you will need the HDMI adapter to MHL, and then the 4 pin USB micro to 11 pin MHL adapter ($10) Add Sirius for $50 and you have everything! Further if you are running lollipop or higher you can use AndroidAuto, similar to Apple's carplay.

remember your 08 radio is the same as the 04 which was designed in 02... putting it in perspective....hello 2016! That is probably 5 smartphones ago, 3 PC's.... well you get it.

If you need help Pm me since i am on holiday.... still
With this setup you mentioned would it be necessary to dig up all the carpets etc or is everything done at the headunit? I plan to add backup cam as well but that can be done via a wireless transmitter i believe..
Old 01-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dnasty
With this setup you mentioned would it be necessary to dig up all the carpets etc or is everything done at the headunit? I plan to add backup cam as well but that can be done via a wireless transmitter i believe..
I haven't done my upgrade yet, as I'm waiting on the Opti-1 to arrive next week. I've been prepping though and based on my reading, everything is going to connect up front except for the antenna wire - you need the 40-EU10 antenna adapter and a 10' extension that will run from the trunk to the head unit. So in short - yes the carpet will have to be pulled. Might as well run a wired backup camera while you're at it.

I'm 99% sure that's all that needs to run to the trunk but if I'm mistaken, hopefully jbondox can chime in.

-----EDIT-----
Here's a list of what I've gathered for the upgrade so far:
Opti-1 interface
Metra 95-8718 Double DIN Kit Dash (if you want to save some bux, get a single din kit and cut the divider out)
Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter
Metra 44-EC120 Universal 120" antenna extension cable
Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control module (optional, but necessary if you want to retain use of steering wheel buttons)
Kenwood DNN992 head unit (of course, you can go with any DD HU of your choosing)
Kenwood KCA-MH100 MHL cable (for true mirroring - to connect & control android phone through HU display)
Samsung EPL-fu10bebstd convertor (5 pin to 11 pin USB adapter - so that the MHL cable works with Samsung Galaxy products)
Rear view camera of your choosing (my local stereo shop will be installing a factory W211 backup camera)
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner (optional if you want Sat radio - this is the one needed for the KW DNN992 - tuner model will vary depending on the HU you go with).

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 01-23-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD
I haven't done my upgrade yet, as I'm waiting on the Opti-1 to arrive next week. I've been prepping though and based on my reading, everything is going to connect up front except for the antenna wire - you need the 40-EU10 antenna adapter and a 10' extension that will run from the trunk to the head unit. So in short - yes the carpet will have to be pulled. Might as well run a wired backup camera while you're at it.

I'm 99% sure that's all that needs to run to the trunk but if I'm mistaken, hopefully jbondox can chime in.

-----EDIT-----
Here's a list of what I've gathered for the upgrade so far:
Opti-1 interface
Metra 95-8718 Double DIN Kit Dash (if you want to save some bux, get a single din kit and cut the divider out)
Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter
Metra 44-EC120 Universal 120" antenna extension cable
Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control module (optional, but necessary if you want to retain use of steering wheel buttons)
Kenwood DNN992 head unit (of course, you can go with any DD HU of your choosing)
Kenwood KCA-MH100 MHL cable (for true mirroring - to connect & control android phone through HU display)
Samsung EPL-fu10bebstd convertor (5 pin to 11 pin USB adapter - so that the MHL cable works with Samsung Galaxy products)
Rear view camera of your choosing (my local stereo shop will be installing a factory W211 backup camera)
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner (optional if you want Sat radio - this is the one needed for the KW DNN992 - tuner model will vary depending on the HU you go with).
Thank you for that as it was immensely helpful... I guess I should still confirm I have fiber optics in my car.. I assume I do because I have the 6 disc changer up front but is there any way to know for sure without pulling out the head unit? My car is base so I don't have any of the markings like harmon kardon anywhere.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM

I don't know much about the CLS model but from mid-2000 on up (even earlier), they're all fiber optic (audio gateway "AGW" on the MOST ring). They're all pretty much the same, except for those of us with Logic 7, it really throws an even bigger monkey wrench into aftermarket solutions. That's the beauty of the Opti-1 though, it makes it extremely simple to upgrade to just about any aftermarket product of your choosing. The only drawback seems to be that you'll lose some of the cluster display functions (radio ID, navigation) and it does not allow for front/rear fade. To me, that's a small price to pay for coming to the modern age of mobile vehicle infotainment.

Lucky for you, the Opti-1 seems to work with an '06 CLS.

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 01-23-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 AM

Well I finally got the DNN992 installed. For the most part it sounds good but based on other reviews I read, I was expecting a little more umph out of my factory sub.
I also have a couple of issues I need help with:
1) a2dp only stays connected while I'm in Bluetooth source. If I turn on the Pandora app on the head unit or try to play a sound file from my phone while outside the bt menu, my a2dp disconnects
2) I could not for the life of me configure the aswc to work correctly, other than volume up & down
3) at times, I have no sound for an extended period of time when I turn on the HU.

I don't know if this is an issue with the head unit, the opti-1 or some problem in the MOST ring. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
sounds like the kenwood. when was the last time you updated the software. The opti1 isd simple, the power and ground behind the comand, and the remote turn on from the kenwood. Further reset your kenwood settings back to factory default and your system will probably sound better.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Thanks James. I updated the unit and BT firmware as soon as I got the car back from the shop, and I did a factory reset yesterday.

As far as the BT issue, I got that resolved. I called KW tech support and they walked me through some settings to change something from MHL to BT.

I'm going to re-load the firmware and see if that helps.

Any idea on why the ASWC can't be programmed? My phone buttons on the steering wheel don't work correctly. The pickup button changes the source and the hang up button acts as mute. I tried a dozen times to reset the ASWC and to manually program it, but it won't take.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Okay, I reloaded the firmware and there is definitely an improvement in the sound quality. However, the operation with no sound became more prominent. As mentioned above, I got the BT issue resolved.

As far as the sound not coming on, I think I may have resolved it too. I think it was the ASWC1 (remember, I was not able to get it programmed correctly in the first place). After turning the HU on & off a number of times, driving around for 20 mins with no sound, I popped the HU out and unplugged the ASWC1 from the harness. Turn the HU on and viola! Sound. I haven't cycled the unit/driven the car enough to ensure it's no longer recurring, but so far so good.

I was short on time (but mostly lazy) so I had everything installed by an audio shop. The shop doesn't like the Metra SWC interface & they're trying to convince me to install a PAC interface instead. I read somewhere though that the PAC unit doesn't work correctly with the W211.

Now I want to verify the wiring of the ASWC1 myself. Question is, where is the wires that the pink wires wire up to? The Metra instructions simply say they are "at the tuner brain in the left rear of the vehicle." I assume it's at the AGW but which harness is it???

As an aside, the factory NTG1 would stay powered on when I would turn off the ignition, as long as I left the key in. Now, the DNN922 shuts off as soon as I turn the engine off. Any idea where to wire the ACC wire to make it stay on while the key is in? I read someone who made it work, but gave no specifics as to how they wired it.

This is on my 2008 E350.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
with the pac they will have to use two, a CAN steering wheel interface and a swi... they are going to have the same issues with it. They need to pick up the phone and call tech support. Are they even on the audio menu in the cluster when trying to program?

I have done quite a few of these, and I know the protocol for the steering wheel works well. just go to the aswc1 website and put the vehicle in: here is a quick link to the pdf. http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/12534.pdf

hope that helps
Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Once again, thanks jbondox - you are worth your weight in gold!

I took it upon myself to open everything up and check everything. It was a combination of a false contact on the pink wire and a defective ASWC1. Now it works and the tuner sounds great. The ASWC1 was able to auto-detect the head unit and I was also able to custom program it.

Only remaining issue is that I still cannot get it to identify the phone pick up and hang up buttons. What gives??? Do I need to leave the factory BT puck docked?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
during autodetect I think you press and hold the phone button for 5 seconds-ish. I believe it is in the regular manual... which you will need to read with the Hubble as the writing is damn small

I wish Idatalink would come out with a Maestro Steering wheel control.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 W211 (E320)
Swapping out COMAND for CarPlay Head Unit

I'm in San Diego too, looking to move from 1990's to now, and the COMAND system just won't go there. So, since I have neither time nor inclination to make a hobby of destroying the interior of my W211, I've gone to a few locals about the upgrade. Make no mistake, I like to keep my car as concourse original as possible, but I also can't stand radio, even public broadcast, so just to be able to listen to podcasts from my iPhone shouldn't be asking too much. I'd like the space back from the center console from that hulking phone contraption. I hope to modify the cup holder to plug in the iPhone. (No drinking while driving. No phone while driving. Only driving while driving.)
Some shops want to cobble together a new contraption which would leave me with the primitive COMAND screen and its mess of buttons. I'm spoiled by modern electronics. A current map/nav system would be nice, and it comes with the iPhone so why a redundant system that doesn't show traffic or any of my other iPhone data (locations, calendar, contacts)? Mercedes is as good at making cars as it is bad at Apple/Google's business.
So. Does anyone have experience with different head units? Kenwood v. Pioneer, etc. And what has it done to the redundant and distracting, disorganized info you get when you just want to know how fast you're going (relative to the speed limit).
What's the best replacement head unit for iPhones?

Last edited by rheftmann; 02-09-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 PM

@rheftmann^

It's really hard to give you an opinion as to what's the "best" head unit to use with your iPhone, as much depends on what features you are looking for (i.e., Bluetooth, navigation, screen mirroring, live traffic data, etc etc etc). For me, the DNN992 was ideal because I specifically wanted Garmin Navigation (for me, the best there is, which includes Mexico maps, live traffic data, downloadable map updates) and it comes with a ton more features. It can mirror/play off of either an Android or Apple device. The trade-off is that it's a unit that is rather slow to boot up.

If all you are looking for is a radio that can play podcasts off of your iPhone, I think even the most basic units of just about any brand available can handle that. Maybe if you can provide a list of specific features you wan't/don't want and the year/model of your W211, perhaps we can offer more specific opinions.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM

2004 W211 (E320)
Personal best head unit

Good suggestion, EuroDriverSD. Here's my features list:
  • Trim to match ext'g interior, display to match Apple iPhone (iPad mini is close).
  • Auto dim to barely visible except on nav' mode, and even then cockpit illumination should dim with ambient exterior lighting level.
  • Work as an extension of the iPhone, as similar in functionality as possible.
  • Over-ride the disorganized, redundant, and distracting dashboard display with a programmable text feed from the data sets available, which depends on what is lost in translation from COMAND MOST to current iOS.

I know. I'm dreaming.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 PM

2004 W211 (E320)
Reviews of Head Units and install options

Does anybody have experience with the bewildering assortment of HUs? The models of Kenwood's current line (since the CES show last month), for example, seem to be almost identical. And with older units still available, making a choice is really difficult.
Additionally, since the HU's CarPlay would replace the massive phone contraption in the center console, how do you safely cut the cord? Mine is a zombie. It answers my phone when I'm in my studio, above the garage. Will it follow my phone from beyond the grave?
Does the clock reset work with replacement HUs? Any other unintended consequences to the dashboard display? Nav get its info from the new unit? (I wouldn't mind if it disappeared because most info is easier to see on the HU, just don't want it to goof up and display garbage or foul up other displays.)

Last edited by rheftmann; 02-10-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Lol, that's what irritated me so much about the factory BT. The phone would often answer in the car while I sat at my desk at work. Now that I installed the Kenwood, problem solved!

I really don't know what all the differences between all the KW head units are. Some include navigation, screen mirroring, etc., some have more or less features than others. For the most part though, the newer the model, the faster the processor, better software, etc. That in and of itself is a good reason to spring for the latest one available. The Excelon units are the top of the line and usually carry an extra year of warranty. Your best bet is to just research the different models and find out which one has the features and specs that best suit your needs. You can also shop for a refurbished one and get it for about half the price. If you get it from an authorized Kenwood dealer, you get the same manufacturer's warranty as the new ones.

With an aftermarket HU, you are going to lose the navigation, phone and radio info on the cluster display - that info will only be available on the HU display. You will also lose the factory microphone so you will need to use the one provided with your new HU. The phone is going to work through the HU's Bluetooth connection instead of the vehicle's factory system. You're going to need the NAV-TV Opti-1 interface, an antenna adapter and an antenna extension cable to replace the Comand unit, unless you want to gut the factory amp, install aftermarket amps and rewire everything.

With regard to resetting the clock, after installing the KW DNN992 I am still able to do so from the steering wheel controls and it synchronizes with the HU. I also read a thread somewhere a while back that said you can adjust the clock using the odometer reset stalk.

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 02-11-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 PM

2004 W211 (E320)
Thanks, EuroDriverSD

That really helps. I'll visit a couple of San Diego's finest installers (who must be really good since we are, after all, America's Finest City, by self-proclamation). They all got 5-star reviews (except for the ones they write about each other) so I'll try a few, unless somebody offers hints. I suspect they'll want to resell me the HU and installation parts as part of their price and I don't want to have to argue if something goes wronggggg. It's time to close my eyes and jump. And write a big check.
You answered most of my concerns. I don't think we'll need to upgrade the system beyond the HU, since the extg amp/wiring/speakers are good enough, at least for now.
The new antenna is, I assume, so I get nav function from the HU's GPS system when the phone is out of range of its system. That's worth adding, for sure.
Moving into this "new" car has been enough of a hobby already. I recently traded both up and down from a W140, so I need the new sound system to compensate for the reduced stature (in every way) with increased modern luxuries like air conditioning and heated seats.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
If you are looking for something android based, try this, the previous model which is still current is great, but this new unit which should be out soon, has better graphics menu, user-ability, and better controls. http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/ddx9703s/

Now if it was mine and I was going to keep it for many years and don't mind dropping a small fortune into it... I would probably rebuild the alpine 10" Sierra radio to work in the vehicle. I would rebuild the the changer cavity to work with the DVD player... I do seem to have a lot more time on my hands I wonder if I would... never mind.

I was checking it out at Access 1 last week but never really thought about other options. http://www.access1alarm.com/about/ne...for-gmc-sierra the Sierra is red and the Silverado is blue lighting... hmmm the possibilities
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM

2004 W211 (E320)
I don't believe in electronics, so how could I?

I'm looking for a CarPlay (Apple iPhone) solution and a capacitive display so that wouldn't work for me.

Also, electronics requires a system of belief I can't fathom. I'm amazed every time I turn on a radio, so I would never dream of disturbing the flow of electrons with my repair efforts, which are limited to changing light bulbs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BT Streaming, add'l upgrade options for W211