Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Protection from laser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Protection from laser

Guys,
I've searched the forums, but haven't found much of a discussion in the efficacy of laser detectors, overall. I'm debating getting either a shifter or detector, but was hoping to get some more info.

The police here use a mix of radar and laser. I was wondering if some people in the know could comment on the following:

Are detectors effective protection against laser? I understand that when using laser, the cops just quickly engage the beam after targeting a vehicle. Can a detector provide effective protection when this is the case? If the cop is waiting in the distance or on an overpass and targets me, I don't have any time to react, because by the time the detector sounds, I've already been tagged.

I have also heard that the laser beams are so tightly focused that often, even if you're not the first vehicle targeted, that a beam aimed at a nearby vehicle may not trigger a response from your detector as your detector wasn't hit by the beam.

With the radar side of the detectors, I've heard that they are incompatible with Mercedes distronic system. Is that he case?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
if your hit with laser and have a detector, you know at what speed your going to get a ticket at.

If the beam is not aimed at you, you aren't going to pick it up.

http://www.access1alarm.com/products/radar-detectors

also if you don't mind dropping $6k and want the very very best...

https://www.stingerradarusa.com/vip3