Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W124 HEad Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
W124 HEad Unit

Well here we go again,

I have a 1992 300e W124 MBZ.
I very simply wanted to replace my stock, becker head unit with a newer one with a cd playing capability. Are there any head units that will just swap in with the old one. Most of the ones I have seen require the entire audio system to be rewired to bypass the built in amplifier, or so iv been told by best buy. Iv found some decent head units for about 150 bucks with a free STANDARD installation. According to the tech at circuit city, a honda civic is considered standard. My car would require an additional $100 fee to finish installation. At 250, i could buy a very nice cd changer that will connect directly to the stock head unit.
So, which head units will work without any "rewiring"?
I have found some Blaunpunkt (spelling?) cd decks that iv had my eye on considering MBZ did at one point have stock Blaunpunkt decks in their car.

Thanks,
A.N.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:25 AM

Yep...

Your headunit will have the old Becker plug, which is for power, ignition, constant and illumination. It also has different speaker plugs .. it has europlugs, and these speaker plugs are not in use anymore. If you want to install a headunit that isn't from the same era, you will have to cut those plugs. If you want to keep those plugs, you can get another Becker from the same era, or as you said, the Honda headunit from that time. (I had a Honda, the headunit had the same plugs.)

What model is your headunit? I personally would look into getting a Becker CD changer for your current headunit if it supports it. The problem is, those old CD changers (even though they are good quality and work well) aren't very easy to find.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:06 AM

e320 my2001
Have your Mercedes dealer show you the MB Single CD Receiver, part # Q 6 82 0410. A adapter cable BNA-MBx x.1432 will simplify your installation. If your dealer can not help you, call Becker in NJ at 888 423 3537 x1209. Ask for the 4602 model, which btw also works with a six disc changer. Look up front view at www.beckerautosound.com/4602small.jpg
Old 03-15-2004, 01:09 AM

that adaptor...

Hey there Horst,

That adaptor you quoted, is that the one which converts the old Becker plug to the new plug? If so, Is that adaptor still being made? I wouldn't mind getting one ...
Old 05-09-2004, 10:59 AM

Turbo Diesel
I got a brand new Alpine CD player in my 93 w124 for somewhere around $75.
Take it to a descent car audio shop to get it installed. You can purchase it at bestbuy/circuitcity, but I wouldn't reccommend getting it installed there.

Also - I would be interested in your old stock deck if you were willing to get rid of it.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM

300 E
Hi,

I got a 1992 300E radio/cassette and headunit gives me a E 2 error. I'm going to get an aftermarket cd deck, any suggestions that blends in ok @around $150? Many are too flashy I see to blend in.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this year MB? Or can guide me how to splice into the head plug. Also what I need to bypass in the trunk as I see, is it 2 amps? and a tuner? Also fader switch near shifter needs to be bypassed?

I've got the radio out, just need help in wiring.

Thanks,

Fish
Old 05-18-2004, 08:04 PM

1996 S 420
Becker plug

Hey HafizMk,
That plug adaptor you were asking about...the one that will convert from the old style Becker plug to the new style...I think I have what you're looking for.
Mercedes plug
Old 05-18-2004, 11:53 PM

Thanks sura. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in Australia though, so when I have time, I'll contact perfectmarket to see how much it would cost for me.

I'm thinking of getting the BE1319 system for my w124 (Becker headunits aren't easy to find here in Australia, and most of the new models are over $1000 Australian dollars!) I want a radio, cassette player and a CD changer (I would get a double-DIN headunit, but the w124 only has one DIN, and I'm not going to modify it. I want to maintain the stock look.) Any suggestions other than the BE1319? It's quite rare .. but yeah.

I want a Becker system. My current system has an extremely rare Becker Le Mans radio/cassette player and 4 speakers (wired through the fader) .... no separate amp ... just headunit and speakers. I know how to bypass the fader, and I can install an amp if the new system has one/needs one/if I want one. As I said before, the new stuff is way out of my budget. When I get the time, I'll visit the salvage yards and wreckers to see if they have any of the old stuff.

I could always get an Audio 10, since I don't use cassettes on a daily basis. If I do get an updated Becker headunit (ie a Becker headunit made after 93-94) then I'll need that converter. I can organise that. Again, suggestions?

My Becker speakers are fine (they're not blown, and the sound is above average), although I wouldn't mind getting newer Becker speakers. Suggestions? My w124 doesn't have subwoofers in the doors like some others did.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM

1994 E320 Sedan
Hi...

The model in this thread is earlier than mine; so would the Audio 10 work as a plug-and-play replacement AM/FM/CD player for the Becker 1692 in a 1994 w124 E320?
My original Becker's software is scrambled, so I need to either send it back to Becker to fix or just go for the upgrade.

I don't mind spending $ for a quality radio. But I have ZERO desire to deal with wiring issues. And I've been without a radio for over a month while I decide which way to go--I can't take the roaring silence much longer.

I have a line on an Audio-10 for about $300...
Old 06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by alguerin
Hi...

The model in this thread is earlier than mine; so would the Audio 10 work as a plug-and-play replacement AM/FM/CD player for the Becker 1692 in a 1994 w124 E320?
My original Becker's software is scrambled, so I need to either send it back to Becker to fix or just go for the upgrade.

I don't mind spending $ for a quality radio. But I have ZERO desire to deal with wiring issues. And I've been without a radio for over a month while I decide which way to go--I can't take the roaring silence much longer.

I have a line on an Audio-10 for about $300...
I was not aware that the BE1692 came in the W124... thanks for that info.

The Audio 10CD should replace a BE1692 just by plugging into the cabling, using ONLY the A and B connectors (the two bottom 8-pin connectors). The 10-pin connector is for a CD changer on the BE1692; on the Audio 10CD it is for CANBUS and CD changer power only.

I am not sure if you were referring to Audio 10 cassette for $300, or Audio 10CD, but you may want to check prices from Steve (MBenzNL).

-s-
Old 06-07-2004, 04:09 PM

1994 E320 Sedan
VERY good to know, thanks.

I was talking about the Audio 10CD...

Now that I know this is doable, I can really hunt around.

Again, Thanks a Million!!!!