Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Interest in Mid-Atlantic COMAND group Install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
Lightbulb Interest in Mid-Atlantic COMAND group Install?

Hello,

I am new to MBWorld but have been scouring the boards for information on getting the factory COMAND system installed in my 2002 C-Coupe.

From what I have gleaned, Steve Krabbenborg from the Netherlands is *the* man to know for all that is COMAND. For those of you not familiar with Steve he sells COMAND units for $1,500 USD installed. See http://www.mbenznl.com/mods/comand.shtml for more info. He has in the past also travelled to ths US to perform the installations when he had enough purchases to cover his travel costs.

So I have emailed Steve and we have had a pleasant email exchange over the past few days. He strikes me a thoroughly knowledgeable, honest, and an overal nice guy. (Someone with whom you feel you can trust to rip apart the interior of your baby!) I am ready to purchase a COMAND system from him but unfortunately, he is no longer interested in travelling to the US to do installs anymore.

His last few trips to the east coast were apparently more hassle than they were worth.

From Steve:

I was in the NY/NJ area 3 times last year but as I hardly got places offered to stay and work from and as I have been working in the rain for several days during my last trip and had to pay up to 250USD for a single hotelnight - the NY area does not attract me at all anylonger - too much hassle...getting lost in NY with 7 nav units in my trunk was very stressfull...
So, here is what I'd like to propose:

I would like to bribe Steve into coming back to the east coast by making his trip as easy and as profitable for him as possible. Here's how:

1) I live in Baltimore, MD. I am married with a nice house and no kids. So I can offer Steve to stay at my house for as long as he wants his east coast trip to last. We have a large driveway and, if the weather turns foul, a dry, well lit garage for doing the installs.

2) I live close to the BWI & Dulles airports. I can offer to pick Steve up at the airport and take him directly to the house.

3) Anyone else interested in getting the COMAND installation agrees to meet up at my house in Baltimore. Baltimore is about 4 hours from NY 2 hours from Philadelphia, 1 hour from Delaware, and about 2 hours from Virgina. Not too bad. This way Steve doesn't have to travel anywhere else, doesn't have to rent a car, rent a hotel, get lost, etc.

4) I love to cook so I would provide food for everyone. It would be like one big weekend and/or week long MB party.

So, I'd like to just get a feel of how many east-coasters out there would be interested in such an idea. I think if we can get at least 5 people it would be enough to entice the COMAND Master out of US Retirement. If he still needs coaxing, perhaps, with enough people, we could each chip-in an additional $50 - $100 and offset some of his airfare.

So are you interested? Let me know.

Thanks!

Christian Lallo
Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Count me in!

I've also had the pleasure of speaking with Steve and agree that he's a really nice guy, with more knowledge about MB Command details than I could ever imagine. When I last spoke to him, he mentioned that he would visit the East Coast at some point in the late-Spring or early-Summer, but it sounds like that plan must have changed

Needless to say, count me in if he's coming to the mid-Atlantic area! I live in Bethesda MD, so getting to Baltimore is no problem at all.

I'm looking to have TV-in-motion installed along with a DVD player.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:43 PM

06 M3
I'm in Chicago. I might be interested also in an install. It depends on the time of the year. I'll be in Europe for the last half of May so if it were in July that would be best as I'd make the drive to MD for the weekend.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:47 PM

'04 SLK32 AMG
I have an SLK so the only COMMAND option I have is to drool. I don't need Steve to help me with that. But depending on the weekend I would be willing to help with the offset you mentioned just for the honor of watching the master work. You might also want to consider contacting the WDC chapter of the Mercedes Club. Since they host or help arrange hosting of car clinics and garden walking trips, you would think the opportunity to see Steve in action would be the highlight of the year!

Okay I admit I like to learn how to take things apart...
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
hehe - people never fail to surprise me...thanks for the thread christian.

It is not that I don't travel to the US anymore - I will be in california within 1.5 weeks again - it is just the eastcoast hassle as described which made me less willing to go there - offers like yours will make deciding to go there again a lot easier...if it wasn't for the friendly generous MB drivers who hosted my stays and installs in the past (all over the US and even in New Zealand and Australia) - I wouldn't have been able to offer the service I am offering at all...
If I would have to get myself a rental car and m/hotelnights every single time I come over to the US - these costs would have to be added to the comand install costs which makes it less interesting to go for.

Currently I am thinking about coming to the eastcoast in June again if there is enough comand related work for me to do and if people are willing to help me out with a place to stay every here and there...

thanks again & greetingz,
Old 04-03-2004, 12:33 PM

2002 C230K Coupe
Excellent! Things are starting to come together.

SLFan and unsung....you guys are on the tentative list. StevenSLK32AMG...that is a really kind and generous offer...glad to have you onboard! (I'd love a ride in your SLK AMG!, btw)

Steve, about how many installs would you need to have confirmed before you would committ to the east coast trip?

Thanks for everything!

Christian
Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 PM
SKG

I'm interested in getting BiXenon install. Steve, do you have the Star Diagnostic system to set the computer to Xenon Present? I'm in the NJ area and people are having trouble from the dealers to reset the computer.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Please do not forget my offer Steve, down here in Orlando FL. It still stands even in June. I just need a few weeks notice please.
Thanks,
Randy

I'm in for a Command System, and Motorola UHI for a V600.

Last edited by Randy B; 04-04-2004 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:37 PM

2003 E55
Im in if he can retofit my 2003 e55

im near nyc
im in for a 2003 e55 retrofit
sounds like he has figured it out
Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM

2002 C230K Coupe
Great! O.K. So now the running tally is:

COMAND:
clallo: Maryland
SLFanDC: Washington DC
unsung: Chicago (maybe)
fOOOzy: New Jersey

Bi-Xenons:
clallo: Maryland (maybe)
SKG: New Jersey (maybe)

Generous Spectators:
StevenSLKAMG32

So that's 3 probable and 1 possible COMAND installs and 2 possible bi-xenons. And 1 generous spectator willing to help out.

I think we're getting there folks! BTW, Steve, do you install the Bi-Xenons? I thought I read somewhere that the bumper needs to be removed to perform the installation. Surely you don't do that in 30 minutes as well?

Let us know how things are looking for you.

Thanks Everyone!

Christian
Old 04-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I do bi xenon installs in teh W203 and W209 as well...takes approx 1,5 hours BUT it is impossible to travel around with bi xenons in my backpack - so something has to be sorted out for that when the time is near...

I recently did install a DVD comand in a dutch 2004 W211 and as this eurospec W211 was the worst possible configured W211 to do the retrofit in - I am sure that W211s that came from factory as US spec cars will be a lot easier...I have 2 more W211s on my to do list during my next cali trip (a 2003 E55 and a 2004 W211) so I will know what exactly is needed for a US W211 comand retrofit (as the US cars differ from the euro cars) after which I will offer the W211 comand retrofits as well.

Randy, I have not forgotten about Florida and I will let you know upfront when I plan to go there...

clallo, I think I have another 10-15 comand, TV tuner and multifunctional upgraderequests in the NY/NJ and Boston area...there is enough work there for me to make it worthwhile - but I need to be sure that I have some places to work from rather then to be travelling around from m/hotel to m/hotel whilst getting lost on a daily base...

greetingz,
Old 04-04-2004, 02:17 PM

98 E320
Count me in.....

Steve --

Long time, no see in NY-NJ!

As I mentioned last year, I have a guest room & 2 car garage available for your use for a few days in Teaneck, NJ, just outside NYC --- the duration of use pending approval of my wife , of course. Our housekeeper is a great cook.

That said.... I might be sold on a cluster-steering wheel upgrade and/or bluetooth fone install (non-command intergrated).

Anyhow, my place is 5 minutes from the George Washington Bridge, 15 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel and 20 minutes from Newark Liberty Airport.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
thanks george - I might take you up on the offer...and update your car a bit while I am around as well .

greetingz,
Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 PM

98 E320
READ THIS: Help Steve help yourself!!!!

To everyone other than Steve:

Since he lives in the NL, let me translate: we almost have him in route to the airport.

Now, this post discusses two matters Steve won't bring up because he's a nice guy. So I will. They they figured big time in the difficulties with his past Mid-Atlantic command install tours.

His last couple of command trips to NY-NJ got screwed up because, in part, of difficulty obtaining the 2-din insert necessary for Command retrofits. We're talking the inexpensive plastic support that turns the console slots in, for example, a W210 into one narrow and one big hole for the Command unit from the current configuration of three narrow slots that contain the climate control, radio & storage space.

For a wiz like Steve, it's the swap of the 2-din piece for the existing 3-din piece that is arguably the most difficult part of the install.

Problem is he'll order, let's say, a dozen from a local dealership to cover all his command appointments. The dealership will obtain only one because it can't believe anyone needs so many. So then Steve is forced to delay his installs for a day or two, waiting for the dealership to fill the rest of his order. The delay, in turn, screws up Steve's typically ambitious install appointment schedule, sometimes to the point of forcing a change in his travel plans.

Here's a suggestion: Everyone that wants Command should do Steve and yourself a favor by checking NOW with your dealership about obtaining the 2-din piece. Don't buy it. Just check the availability, get the part number, etc..... Once you put down your deposit with Steve, BUY IT!!!! And tell Steve you'll have the 2-din piece in your possession. The simple gesture of having it on hand will eliminate a potential major pain in the neck for Steve.

Secondly -- this is a big one -- if you want Command or some other work, place your order and make your deposit early.

In the past -- this is the case with the East Coast clients because Steve does not come here as often -- deposits come piling in at the last minute, making the accomidating Steve crazy as he scrambles to get the necessary equipment shipped to the USA. The last minute rush is .

Steve -- Do yourself a favor, set a deadline for orders and deposits and stick to it.

Short of that, once Steve commits to make the journey east of the Mississippi, place your timely order and the deposit -- and calmly wait for Steve to make his magic.

Just my $ .02USD.....
Old 04-05-2004, 12:12 AM

2002 C230K Coupe
George: Absolutely! I'll order the 2 DIN insert straight away. Do you or Steve have a part number for a W203 or at least a more detailed description?

Steve: Would you like a desposit from me now? I think I would like the European COMAND as the British accent and the capability to one day (possibly) use TMC appeals to me. (If you have only US COMANDs that's fine as well.)

I have a PayPal account. What was the amount? $200?

Just let me know.

Thanks!

Christian
Old 04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2-din insert is not used on W203's or W209's. You don't need to buy anything.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:52 AM

2002 C230K Coupe
Originally posted by Lynn
The 2-din insert is not used on W203's or W209's. You don't need to buy anything.
Thanks for that important tidbit Lynn! It's much appreciated.

Christian
Old 04-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
well said George...I already forgot about the 2DIN saga... ...

The 2 DIN support pieces (only applicable for W210 E-classes) screwed up 2 of the 3 eastcoast install trips...

greetingz,
Old 04-07-2004, 09:33 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Looking forward to it!

Originally posted by MBenzNL
Currently I am thinking about coming to the eastcoast in June again if there is enough comand related work for me to do and if people are willing to help me out with a place to stay every here and there...

Glad to hear it, Steve. Looking forward to meeting you finally. I'll be happy to send a depoist for my TV Tuner w/ DVD player install whenever you like. And if there's anything else you'll need in advance of your trip, just let us know.

Judging by the responses to this thread, the East Coast is ready for you!

Best regards,
Dean
Old 04-08-2004, 02:12 PM

2003 SL500 Sport Package
I'd be interested in a visit from Steve also. Want a few things done on my 2003 SL500. Live outside of Philly and can go to either NYC area or down to the Baltimore / Washington, D.C. area.

Doesn't matter to me either ways as long as Steve lets us know he is coming so we can pre-order items and firm up a time so he doens't run into issues.

Thanks

- rajs
Old 04-09-2004, 01:54 AM

2002 S430
Randy B....I sent you a pm. Thanks for any response
Old 04-15-2004, 01:38 PM

c320 sports wagon 2002
Me too, me too!

Howdy all,
I am also interested in a Comand retrofit for my '02 w203 wagon and possibly more (Bi-xenons, dvd, etc.). While I am currently in Tucson, AZ, I will be in NY/NJ to start a job by mid-june at the latest (living in Hoboken), and could be there really anytime between now and then. Probably could help with hosting etc. as well.
Thanks,
Ed
Old 04-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes 2003 C240 sedan
I'm want to get Command and LED Climate Control i'm in New Jersey.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Almost a Member!

00 CLK 320
I am in for a set of Bi-xenons and maybe a command. Let me know what the dates are cause I am suppose to be in Hawaii for business that month.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Almost a Member!

00 CLK 320
Hey this is just a thought but maybe someone can put a price list up so people will know how much they have to pay.
Something like prices for parts and prices for installation. That might help some people get off the fence. Just trying to help make this happen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Interest in Mid-Atlantic COMAND group Install?