Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How to remove Radio? (I used Search)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
How to remove Radio? (I used Search)

I am not having a good day. First I couldn't get the 10mm bolts off to replace the starter on my 300D this morning, now I can't figure out how to remove my radio from my 97 C280.

I used the search feature and read about a MB Radio removal tool and at SLK23.com he said it could be done with a thin knife. I have two pieces of thin aluminum that just fit into the two slots, I push in about 1cm to get resistance, I push a bit more, and I can not get the radio out.

I pulled the coin tray below the radio, so that I could reach behind to get more forward force on the radio, but my jury rig radio memoval tools don't seem to be doing the job. Can any one post a pix of the MB radio removal tool, and let me know how far in I need to push the two pieces of metal? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be 0/2 today.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 05-24-2004, 09:04 PM

1996 S 420
You can find both here:http://www.perfectmarketaudio.com Follow the link on radio removal.

When using the correct tool, the tool will lock onto the radio so it can be pulled out.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: How to remove Radio? (I used Search)

Originally posted by sph17
I am not having a good day. First I couldn't get the 10mm bolts off to replace the starter on my 300D this morning, now I can't figure out how to remove my radio from my 97 C280.

I used the search feature and read about a MB Radio removal tool and at SLK23.com he said it could be done with a thin knife. I have two pieces of thin aluminum that just fit into the two slots, I push in about 1cm to get resistance, I push a bit more, and I can not get the radio out.

I pulled the coin tray below the radio, so that I could reach behind to get more forward force on the radio, but my jury rig radio memoval tools don't seem to be doing the job. Can any one post a pix of the MB radio removal tool, and let me know how far in I need to push the two pieces of metal? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be 0/2 today.

Thanks.

Steve
It shouldn't take any force to get the radio out!

Just use something thin and pointed (like a nail file or pointy pen knife). The tool slides into the slots, and pushes the catch to the side. It needs to push it towards the center of the stereo.

If you cut the metal to an angle, you will have better results. Like this:

Code:
|\                    /|
| \                  / |
| |                  | |
So the left side has the angle pushing it to the right, the right side pushes it to the left. Slide those in and the radio should be released and easily slide out.

(Without the tools, I once just cut two pieces of plastic into strips with angled ends and used those to get the radio out.)

-s-
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Thank You!!!

Sura: The picture you directed me to, gave me the idea I could use a small knife and the pictures helped a lot to understand what was going on, and what I needed to do.

Scorchie: Your suggestion confirmed that I could use two of my small Swiss Army Knives, with the curve of the blade towards the middle of the radio, and it slipped out like a charm.

You kept me from being 0/2 today, at least I can claim a .500 average for my auto repair escapades.

Thanks

Last edited by sph17; 05-24-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: Thank You!!!

Why not buy the radio remove key and got the whole thing done in 2 minutes ? Dealer charge me $5 for the set. Not cheap, but obviously not too expensive.

Originally posted by sph17
Sura: The picture you directed me to, gave me the idea I could use a small knife and the pictures helped a lot to understand what was going on, and what I needed to do.

Scorchie: Your suggestion confirmed that I could use two of my small Swiss Army Knives, with the curve of the blade towards the middle of the radio, and it slipped out like a charm.

You kept me from being 0/2 today, at least I can claim a .500 average for my auto repair escapades.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Re: Thank You!!!

Originally posted by zam2000
Why not buy the radio remove key and got the whole thing done in 2 minutes ? Dealer charge me $5 for the set. Not cheap, but obviously not too expensive.
You should ask the dealer for a better deal... they cost the dealership 80 cents for a set, I believe.

W 000 589 00 63 00

-s-