Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes SLK SRS 9223 error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK 2006
Mercedes SLK SRS 9223 error

Hi, I have a 2006, SLK, 1.8 and after sliding the front seat backward the SRS light came on. I have unplugged the yellow connector under the seat and reconnected it, attempted a reset but it has not worked. Please can someone tell me what to do next, I have read about spraying the connector with switch cleaner but referred to non-drying? Ideas welcome.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CLK500 cabriolet
Hello,

I am getting the same code on my 2006 CLK 500 (W209) Cabriolet.

Update: GOOD NEWS! I was able to resolve this. Unfortunately, I did a few things before my last clearing of the code so I do not know for sure what fixed it.

There are a handful of codes related to the SRS, each one pointing to a specific squib. I'm guessing there is one squib for each airbag. I looked very closely at the wording of all of these messages. In the case of my vehicle there are 12 messages. This message (9223) is in a 'group' of messages that has "side" in the title. The 'groups' were titled with the following words in them:

"driver and passenger"
  • driver #1
  • driver #2
  • front passenger #1
  • front passenger #2
"side"
  • driver-side (THIS is the 9223)
  • front passenger
"window"
  • left rear
  • right rear
"seat belt emergency tensioning"
  • driver
  • front passenger
  • left rear
  • right rear

The wording of the 2 messages include "driver-side" and "front passenger".

Looking at all the other 'groups' of messages, I was only able to deduce that the problem area is on the driver's side of the vehicle, and somewhere in/on the "side" airbag(s). I tried to look for a diagram of exactly WHERE all of these airbags are in the vehicle, but was not successful. In the coupes that I've owned I know their were airbags on the left and right pillars/walls, but on a convertible I'm not sure what is meant by "side". Is it the side ON the seat, or in the door?

I searched all over the internet, and within the MBWorld forums as well. On my first search I got very few hits because I discovered (afterwards) that I was being a tad too specific. Once I gathered some info on what this was all about I then slightly broadened my search criteria. Remember, there are 12 specific codes we're talking about, and they are all very closely related. So anything I can learn about ANY of these codes would be helpful.

When I mentioned this problem to a friend, he suggested that one time his SRS light went on, and the fix was to simply start the car, sit in the passenger seat, and then go back to turn the car off and on again. The light had disappeared! From the info that I've gathered on these SRS codes is that you MUST clear the code with a scanner, with the exception of one. The ONE code that will clear without the scanner is related to the passenger seat where there are sensors to detect if there is a child/infant in the seat so as to NOT deploy the airbag in that case (for safety reasons). So that explains why that worked for him. I tried this approach but unfortunately I cannot conclude that this was the fix because I did a FEW things prior to my final reset. I doubt that this was the fix because I learned that my code had to do with the SIDE - DRIVER-SIDE squib/airbag.

There was ONE thing I checked as soon as the light went on, before I was able to read the code, which did not fix the problem. I did a 1 hour trickle charge on my battery. The battery was in need of a charge from not driving EVERY day. I also put in about half ounce of distilled water into each cell. That did not solve the problem.

I found a bunch of suggestions on remedying this, and tried to employ the simplest ones first. I did a few things and unfortunately I did them all in-between reading/resetting, so I don't know WHICH of these resolved the problem. Here are the things I did:

1) Sitting in passenger seat with motor running, then getting out and stopping/starting the car - as I said, unlikely this fixed it.
2) Slight jiggle on ALL connections under the front of both passenger and driver seats to ensure they were snug - all seemed snug!
3) Looked very closely at ALL connections under front & passengers seats to look for broken or taut wires - none found.
4) Took off driver's back seat cover (2 torx screws at bottom, very easy). Examined all connections as above. - Only a few connectors and all were ok.

Next steps:
1) I am going to buy a can of contact spray to keep around, just in case this problem comes back again. I will then try removing the appropriate connectors and spraying.
2) Record details of this incident in my log for further reference.
3) Remember to NOT shove things under my seat without looking. Be very careful when vacuuming under the seat.

FYI....The scan tool that I used to read/reset the codes was the iCarsoft i980. It was $114 on Amazon. Money well spent! The biggest drawback to this scanner is that it is for a limited number of vehicles. I had a hunch the main thing that differentiates these scanners is the PROGRAMMING. The cosmetics/design are different, but I think what you're really paying for is the programming. I really don't see any reason why they couldn't have a single scanner that reads/resets ALL of these vehicles (at a reasonable price). Perhaps it has to do with licensing of this information from the computer manufacturers.

I am ok with having someone else fix my car, but at the very least I wanted to walk in with some knowledge. So if the scanner wasn't going to lead me to a DIY resolution, at least I would've had some idea of what I was up against.

If I had to have a shop fix this I am confident it would've cost me anywhere between $500 and $1,400! Not to mention my time and stress! Also, as you know, there is a great feeling of accomplishment when you DIY.

Thank you.

Last edited by JoiseyBenz; 07-27-2020 at 07:37 AM.