Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

iPod in-car integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
iPod in-car integration

Well, Steve Jobs alluded to this previously and it looks like it may happen soon, although not for us MB faithful. Here's a link to a story regarding a forthcoming Apple/BMW announcemnt to offer direct integration of iPods into the audio system of certain BMW models with control of the iPod from the steering wheel buttons:

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0604/16.ipod.html

http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/15/bmw

Hmm, how long would it take for MB to do this? Given the slow pace at which they import new consumer technologies, we may never see it as the iPod may not be as popular by the time they would be willing to do it. I understand why they are hesitant to jump on board every new technology, but it does seem like MB is a generation behind when it comes to consumer tech. I think we can all agree that MBUSA is even worse by not importing items like the rear seat entertainment system over here for use in E and S class vehicles.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I think MB should select different player for integration, for example Rio Karma, or Creative brand. Anyway MB owners have very low interest to iPod, for example Ice Link didn't get enough votes from MB owners to provide a similar device. I do not think that MB will do any steps ever, since it shouldn't increase revenue, and can get attention only few geeks.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I agree. The Karma is non-proprietary, has better sound (esp. with the FLAC format), is network (Ethernet) ready, and costs less than the iPod. But, you're right. MB won't make any money off it and all those teeny-boppers will go out and waste their money on iPods.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I saw the one on the beemer and it is pretty nice and being a IPOD user myself would be great for the benz. The thing I did not like is that it does not display the song on the screen. It shows track 1, track 2, etc... since it is tied to teh cd changer plug.