Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How tough are the widescreen display glass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK250 & Jaguar F-Type
How tough are the widescreen display glass?

Hi all,

We have just put an order fro an E300 Cab with the premium plus pack, which comes with the wide screen instrument and cockpit display. I think both are touch screens which I assume will attract plenty of finger prints.

The question I have is how tough are the glass / surface? Will they need any screen protector to prevent scratches to the surface (even the lightest of scratch)?

Thank you very much.

Mokster
Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Touch screens are always susceptible to scratches. I would suggest researching some screen protectors right now made specifically for touch screens. Keep your fingernails short.

p.s. The constant fingerprints and wiping them off will drive you nuts.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK250 & Jaguar F-Type
Thanks rustybear3! As always, very helpful!

I've been looking at Amazon (UK) and the choices of screen protector is very limited (or none)! But will keep looking.

I do usually keep a micro-fibre cloth in the car for finger prints and make sure the cloth is kept free of dust. If the screens are as tough as the smartphones these days (e.g. gorilla glass), then it should be okay.

But as you said, need to find some screen-protectors. Do you use them or have any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I had a touchscreen on my Cadillac ATS and didn't bother with the screen protector, in that I kept my nails short. I also tried not to use it to access and used voice commands whenever I could.

I had a very good microfiber cloth in the storage box which I used incessantly to keep the screen clean. Never got around to the screen protector, but wish I did, just to keep down on the wiping. Don't forget, I had a 2013 with the CUE screen, so early on (because touch screens were so new) there was much to choose in screen protectors. Surprise to hear, that hjasn't improved much. Being a Widescreen will make it more difficult IMO to find a decent one.