Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

DVD CD player versus CD Autochanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD CD player versus CD Autochanger

quality-wise how does the CD playback of the 05 command DVD player compare with the cd autochanger? (in a new SLK as it happens)

i ask because i'm aware that in home systems dvd's are plainly inferior to dedicated CD players at playing music, and i suspect i'll be playing a lot more music than watching DVD's!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It should be the same, unless you have DVD audio.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Almost a Member!

does anyone know what the specs are for the dvd and cd that comes with the latest command?

eg who builds the unit (its probably bought in from the far east....)
Old 08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jono_2000
does anyone know what the specs are for the dvd and cd that comes with the latest command?

eg who builds the unit (its probably bought in from the far east....)
For the SLK, the COMAND is a Becker. The CD changer is a Becker. Both are made in Germany. The CD changer does sound surprisingly good, I was impressed with the sound quality through the stock system. Playing MP3 discs using this CD changer sounds better than most MP3 players, probably because this is an MP3 player made by an actual audio company instead of a computer company. Thus the output amplifiers (and especially the digital filters) are probably designed with sound quality being more important.

192K encoded MP3s didn't exhibit the "harshness" that I normally hear from an MP3 file.

To give you a perspective on my preferences, I generally prefer vinyl records and compact cassette tapes to CDs for sound quality, since I believe good quality tapes using good equipment have superior capabilities to CD. Of course the CD wins when it comes to convenience.

-s-
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I am reading this right, the R-171 COMAND unit for the US will have MP3 Playback ability right?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Silver_Lana
If I am reading this right, the R-171 COMAND unit for the US will have MP3 Playback ability right?
I think you're responding to my post (well that's what threaded mode shows)... so I will clarify. In reference to MP3s, I always referred to the "CD changer", and not about the COMAND at all (except that it is built by Becker in Germany). To further clarify, you don't need an MP3-capable COMAND to use an MP3-capable changer (also as shown in my friend's 1995 C36 with stock radio and MP3 CD changer).

Also, I wasn't mentioning US-spec. At this time, I have no idea of the capabilities of the 2005 R171 and W211 for the US market. My R171 experience is limited to European-spec models. (The R171 and W211 head units are nearly identical, the difference being the physical form of the faceplate; the CD changers are the same.)

Sorry about that!

-s-
Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jono_2000
quality-wise how does the CD playback of the 05 command DVD player compare with the cd autochanger? (in a new SLK as it happens)

i ask because i'm aware that in home systems dvd's are plainly inferior to dedicated CD players at playing music, and i suspect i'll be playing a lot more music than watching DVD's!
Keep in mind that in the new SLK, all digital sources remain digital until they reach the sound amplifier. So the source material will have the most impact; the device providing the information to the amplifier should have little impact. The exceptions being where the data must be decoded, such as MP3 source material or DVD compressed audio. In those cases, the device's decoder quality comes into play. All sources are then transcoded to a standardized format and sent to the sound amplifier for processing. Since CD audio is not compressed, it is taken from the disc unmolested by the device.

-s-
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Almost a Member!

good to know.

thanks scorchie.

looking forward to HD-DVD then one disc could theoretically contains roadmaps and details of the entire world.............