Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How does ME CONNECT actually connect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C-300
How does ME CONNECT actually connect?

I just bought a 2019 C300 ... love the car but very confused about Mercedes Me Connect. This car does not have COMAND/Navigation, and so it is not equipped for in-car wifi hotspot (not without buying a Harman Spark attachment). Before figuring these things out, I errantly subscribed to an ATT data service which I later learned was not useable because of the car's lack of built in wifi hotspot. I dumped the ATT data service and got a refund ..., but I have a remaining question ...

How does Mercedes Me Connect actually communicate with my car when I start the engine or lock the doors with the app? Does it require cel service, wifi, blutooth? Certainly it is not blutooth or wifi ... so, is it a cel-based service?

Any input appreciated.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,735 Likes on 2,497 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, the car has an LTE communications module called HERMES. In the USA and most other markets, the service is included free of charge for the first 3 years. After that you can extend it, but have to pay a monthly subscription. It's all handled through the Mercedes Me connect portal. That's where you can control the services and see when they expire.

https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/