Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Subwoofer wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Subwoofer wiring

I recently received by W211 05 E55 and although the HK upgraded system is very nice I am used to quite a bit more bass. I have an Infinity Basslink subwoofer that I would like to add in the trunk. I can see wires going toward the sub but as there are a half dozen or so I am unsure which 2 go to the rear sub.

Does anyone know what color the sub leads are? Also where is the best place in the trunk to gain access to them? Are there any links to help wire this HK system?

I know that the Basslink is a compromise but it is adequate and doesn't take up much room. I'll probably upgrade to a custom set up in the future but this will have to do for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Vetluver
I recently received by W211 05 E55 and although the HK upgraded system is very nice I am used to quite a bit more bass. I have an Infinity Basslink subwoofer that I would like to add in the trunk. I can see wires going toward the sub but as there are a half dozen or so I am unsure which 2 go to the rear sub.

Does anyone know what color the sub leads are? Also where is the best place in the trunk to gain access to them? Are there any links to help wire this HK system?

I know that the Basslink is a compromise but it is adequate and doesn't take up much room. I'll probably upgrade to a custom set up in the future but this will have to do for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lift up the speaker cover on the parcel shelf. Lift from the front, it unsnaps. You can see the two wires going into the subwoofer. You can get the color from there, or even better, you can tap your Basslink wires into the left and right wires going into the subwoofer right there. Then pass them down through the large holes in the parcel shelf into the trunk.

Hook up power to the battery and ground to a grounding stud behind the trunk liners... find a spot to mount the Basslink, or through enough stuff in the trunk to keep it from moving around. Then you're done. Pretty easy install.

Based on my car's sound, I think the OEM woofer is going to produce more bass than the Basslink, so you better keep the original hooked up when you add the Basslink. It is possible that the output on the 2005 has been reduced from the 2003. 70 watts into a 280mm woofer isn't much less than the 100 watts into the 10" woofer, plus it has direct access to the passenger compartment.

-s-
Old 08-16-2004, 09:30 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Thanks a million. I'll check it out tonight and let you know how it sounds!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Do you still have the Mark IV? Mine is a '76, what a great vehicle.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:47 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Yep,
My mother had the car when I was in High School and I took it to the prom. She drove it for 5 years and put 20k miles on it. It got 6-8 miles to the gallon so in 77 it was worth about 2 cents and I needed a car so my Dad gave it to me. I drove it for till 79 when I could afford an 80 280ZX.

My sister used it for a short time then returned it to me. We have used it for a second or third car since. It now has 60k miles on the clock and is all original except for paint. About 10 years ago I had the finish redone and my only gripe is it is slightly better than factory. In shows they take points off for "paint that is too good". Baby blue with white top and interior. It rides (slowly!) on the 2nd set of OEM Michelin X tires. The spare is an original.

I have never done any work on the motor and it burns a bit of oil. My son and I will rebuild the 460 when he gets old enough. There's no hurry. It's not worth much except for sentimental value, just a labor of love.

My favorite Lincoln tha we had when I was a kid was a 61 with suicide doors. We were launching our boat and backed it into 20 feet of water. I would love to find one that has been restored and has factory AC. The Lincolns then were the class of the world. They were gorgeous. Real wood, leather, wool etc. I'm glad that kind of stuff is coming back and plastic is dying.