Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Central locking problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S500L 2007
Question Central locking problem

I have just bought a 2006 W221 S500L. which I love,

But...
The central locking is giving me grief. It will not work with the keys.
I can start the car, drive it around for a while, park up and lock and unlock it using the remote. I have fitted new batteries to the keys.
Five minutes later if I try to unlock it using the remote it will not operate. I have tried removing the push button starter, inserting the key and starting that way for a while but the same result.
am thinking it has to be one of the car batteries which is failing but I have no idea which one it could be or if I am on the right track. The car starts easily
Other issues are the electronic and analogue clock keep resetting to 2003 and sometimes the radio will operate for 5 minutes, drop out and then reconnect.
As a minor point the car phone blue tooth says I am connected but I cannot dial out. I have a Apple I Phone 10
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Last edited by Z900owner; 05-25-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 05-25-2021, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S500L 2007
Hello Again
I thought I would update my last post in the hope that someone may read it and it helps them out
As I said I have recently bought the S500L which I love but the electrics gave me grief I had several issues which progressively got worse, some of them were
1The central locking would not work, then it started locking itself every time I walked away from it which was a pain because I could not unlock it again and I had to go through an extensive process to get back into it.
2The radio would not save the reset channels
3 The Time and date would not save
4The blue tooth for the phone did not work
I took it back to the Mercedes mechanic who has been servicing it for the last few years prior to me buying it. I told him the faults, asked him to check the rear battery and then replace it if it was faulty. The quote $500
I came back later that day only to be told the rear battery was fine, (it was only replaced 2 years ago so he said, Oh, and a warning light will come up on the dash if the battery is stuffed, so he said), and advised that he had replaced the front battery because it was starting to fail. He's supposed to be the expert, I didn't care as long as the problems were fixed, so I pay the money, go to my car and try to lock it using the key, it still did not work. This time he fiddled around and told me the circuit board on the keys was work out and it would cost $600 per key to replace, but as a favour to me he would do both keys for $900, and then my central locking would be fine. I said I would think about it, $900 for 2 keys, WTF!!!
The car got worse over the next few weeks, gearbox keeps going to neutral unexpectedly, tyre pressure light keeps coming on etc, I am ripping my hair out and scared to even take the car around the block in case it breaks down.
I took it to another Mercedes Mechanic, he does a test and comes back 10 mins later to tell me that the battery in the boot is the original from Sept 2006 and it is DEAD, he swaps out the battery and presto, 95% of my electrical issues are solved, the central locking is fine, the gearbox is great, the tyre pressure warning stops, the radio presets are saved and I can reset the time and date.
Motto,
First port of call for electrical gremlins is check the battery, the warning light on the dash is not the way to check the boot battery
I still have to sort out the blue tooth issue, the second mechanic said the blue tooth is stuck in bootloader mode and to get it right I have to take it to one of the 3 Authorized Mercedes Dealers in Western Australia who can log into the Mercedes Computer in Germany to unlock it. I called all three dealers, and they wanted $600 to plug the car in and unlock it. Yikes, no hand free in my car