Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Is Harman/Kardon the best!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Harman/Kardon the best!

Is the premium harman/kardon® surround sound audio better than the Bose sound system. Are they installing Harman/Kardon on all models in USA?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by mercedesgrima
Is the premium harman/kardon® surround sound audio better than the Bose sound system. Are they installing Harman/Kardon on all models in USA?
I had the Bose system on an '01 S500 that came off lease, replaced by an E500 with Harmon Kardon. I do not pretend to be an audiophile, but to me the HK sounds better than the Bose. Given Bose good reputation and my overall satisfaction with the Bose system, I was somewhat surprised at the quality of the HK. I don't know if there is any objective way to measure.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I have seen and heard, the HK is superior to the bose. The bose systems still use paper cone drivers, and I remember the HK having composite cones. The HK sounded better to me, but audio is all subjective.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:39 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
. . . , but audio is all subjective.
There have been hundreds of postings on many threads about the MB sound systems but that comment is the most sensible of all that I have read.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I thought Bose was good, til I listen to Harman Kardon. Then I thought HK was good, til I listen to MB Quazt (spell ??).

I will have MB-Q on my car

Old 09-15-2004, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
HK much better Bose. Actually Bose is worst audio.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:06 AM
Almost a Member!

I never heard of MB Quart. I think it`s not a well known brand. At least BMW uses Harman/Kardon and most of AUDI models have Bose on them(even the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti installed a Bose system). The most important factor I think is that for example Mercedes-Benz don`t just install speakers (sound system) in their cars. They project beforehand how the sound system is going to be planned. I mean the sound system is projected along with the car interior design ,etc. Is that true, that in the new Mercedes-Benz SLK-class , (and even other old mercedes models) they made a system that checks the noises that are entering the car, and the sound system changes sounds/frequency automatically, according to sound noise from outside (and sometimes even according to sped etc ? ) .How does that work exactly?

On the latest SLK they installed a Harman/Kardon sound system. I don`t know why they changed Bose. Bose is actually American right, and Harman\Kardon is fully German?

I think the best sound system is in the Maybach

The new SLK for example can be installed with the Audio 50 APS. This is a paragraph on it :

Sound system: surround sound from eleven speakers

New SLK-Class models which are factory-fitted with one of the three available radio units come equipped with a total of nine speakers: three in each door, a centre-fill speaker in the top section of the dashboard, plus two speakers in the rear.

An even more effective acoustic experience is available by opting for the newly developed multi-channel sound system. With a maximum output of 380 watts, this system is harmonised perfectly with the acoustic conditions in the interior of the SLK. A microphone inside the car detects current noise levels, allowing the micro-computer to precisely adjust volume and sound, even with the vario-roof down. The result is sheer listening pleasure at all times. Each and every stereo signal is converted by the system into a surround sound, producing a peerless acoustic experience on both the driver's side and the passenger side. The sur-round effect is achieved using two extra speakers which are positioned above the stowage compartment on the rear wall. The sound system can be combined with either the Audio 50 APS or the COMAND APS unit.

How come , Mercedes-Benz does not say the Audio system brand in their press releases?

thanks and have a good day. goodbye
Old 09-15-2004, 10:48 AM

2004 E500
Bose is actually American right, and Harman\Kardon is fully German?
Harmon Kardon is a US company with headquarters in Washington, DC. Dr. Sydney Harmon is one of the pioneers of high-end audio and his company was founded in the 1950's. Bose is also a US company, founded by Dr. Amar Bose in the late 1960's.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
VBD

I don`t know why they changed Bose. Bose is actually American right, and Harman\Kardon is fully German?
As said above HK is American, but the Becker/Mercedes Relationship spans back many years, till 1949. So, as Becker has been part of the Harmon group since 1995 and with Harmon Becker(based in Germany) still being Mercedes's perferred audio partner. They were selected to make the new audio units like the Audio 50 APS and the Comand APS for MB etc... So, it is easier and cheaper getting them to do the speaker side as well, rather than bringing in someone else to design and manufacturer something for them.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 PM

2004 E500
Although both Harmon International (the parent company) and Bose were founded and are headquartered in the USA, they both describe themselves as worldwide companies. In that case, I am not sure that you can call a company US, German, UK, or whatever. According to Harmon's Annual Report, they are making a major investment in automotive electronics including integrated audio, video, navigation, etc. They state that they have closed a deal with Chrysler to provide all of their entertainment electronics for all models. At some point, I imagine that they will be the sole provider for all of Daimler-Chrysler. They are probably only waiting for the existing agreements on the Benz side to expire.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
The new SLK for example can be installed with the Audio 50 APS. This is a paragraph on it :

Sound system: surround sound from eleven speakers

New SLK-Class models which are factory-fitted with one of the three available radio units come equipped with a total of nine speakers: three in each door, a centre-fill speaker in the top section of the dashboard, plus two speakers in the rear.

An even more effective acoustic experience is available by opting for the newly developed multi-channel sound system. With a maximum output of 380 watts, this system is harmonised perfectly with the acoustic conditions in the interior of the SLK. A microphone inside the car detects current noise levels, allowing the micro-computer to precisely adjust volume and sound, even with the vario-roof down. The result is sheer listening pleasure at all times. Each and every stereo signal is converted by the system into a surround sound, producing a peerless acoustic experience on both the driver's side and the passenger side. The sur-round effect is achieved using two extra speakers which are positioned above the stowage compartment on the rear wall. The sound system can be combined with either the Audio 50 APS or the COMAND APS unit.

How come , Mercedes-Benz does not say the Audio system brand in their press releases?

thanks and have a good day. goodbye
Good to hear about it. I test drove SC430 and was impressed Mark Levinson sound quality, but car. I hope SLK will sound at least the same or better.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I've heard Bose in several cars American (Camaro, Tahoe, Denali), Japanese (Nissan), and German (Mercedes of various years) and I've heard HK in BMW's and, for me, hands down it's Harmon Kardon in BMW.