Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Question regarding Minidiscs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Exclamation Question regarding Minidiscs

Hi,
First off, I have a 2004 C320 with the Bose system (Audiopilot, etc) and 6 CD changer in the glove box. I know that MB uses fiberoptics to connect the CD changer to the head unit. Problem is, I am a big fan of Minidiscs (long story, but have accumulated a large collection of them). My old car had a Kenwood minidisc head unit which I have since removed and put into my wife's car. I didn't want to touch the head unit of my new car b/c I'm afraid of all the problems that will happen with Audipilot/Bose settings. I plan on getting a Minidisc changer (kenwood makes one) but as far as I know, don't know of a way to replace my CD changer with this due to the fiberoptic connection. Also, has anyone had similar experience with the possibility of using FM modulation to achieve this (i.e. have both the CD changer and Minidisc changer present). I'd be interested in any opinions on this or any other alternatives.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
if it was ME, I would go with FM modulation, anything else just overcomplicates matters....
Old 09-27-2004, 11:01 PM

2000 CLK CAB
Until recently I had the KMD-D400 installed in my 2000 CLK 430 Cab. It worked fine and I used the KCA-R42FM Modulator to control the unit. All I had to do was select a radio station like 88.1 or one of a few others and I was able to enjoy the MiniDisc in-dash changer. The FM Modulator works very well it is not like those Belkin modulators that you put near the radio, this you plug the antenna into the unit and the unit has a plug to fit in the radio. I still had my six CD Changer as well. I took the MiniDisc player out because recently installed the Comand Unit and put my Ipod in the glove box with the AUX connection and a Radio Frequency remote control (Engineered Audio, great little remote).

Also, if you are interested in purchasing I would give you a great deal. I really liked the MiniDisc but the Ipod is so much easier to manage. Right now I have the KMD-D400 3+1 in-dash changer (not MDLP capable) with the KCA-R42FM Modulator, the Sony MiniDisc home Unit (MDS-JB940) and a Sony NetDisk portable MiniDisc Player plus a dozen or so blank MiniDisc for sale. If you are intereseted sent me a private message or reply here.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

CHEVY SILVERADO
MD kenwood kmd-d400

I would like to know if still have it..
Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 PM

CHEVY SILVERADO
faceplate

I would like to buy the faceplate...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
XJ9

C350
The FM modulator is really a last resort option since it drops the signal down to the dynamic range of fm radio (which basically sounds poor). The ideal solution would be to go with one of the commercially available RCA to optical adapters which would give you a nice clean direct input.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Wow this thread was a blast from the past.

Anyway, I ended up having Steve put in an Aux input (the same time I had bixenon lights put in, etc) and just ran my ipod through there. Although it is not an elegant solution (looks pretty cheesy to have a cable running out of your glovebox to hook into your ipod (which I place over the cupholder cover (slides with sharp cornering, etc), doesn't charge the ipod, and you have to access songs through the ipod itself (not driver friendly)), it is functional with the best sound.

My Kenwood minidisc player broke in my wife's car a couple of months back and ended up replacing that unit with an Alpine iDA-X001 which has a brilliant ipod interface (ipod stays in glovebox, charged, I can view album art, select songs, etc through a center job wheel, pretty much as if I had the ipod in my hand). So I have pretty much given up minidiscs though I still have tons of them lying around (was a great format, ahead of its time when it first came out, but really got beaten hands down by the subsequent ipod revolution)