Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

NTG1 Comand turning off randomly (SOLVED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 W211 2003
NTG1 Comand turning off randomly (SOLVED)

Hello, i just wanted to make a new thread cause i've been investigating this problem for a while now and finally i think i found a solution.

So i bought a w211 2003 e320 with almost everything a man needs, especially comand ntg1 with navi, tv, harman kardon, cd changer and telephone. I had no problems with anything related to these for 2 years. After that my car sat for a month, obviously it ran out of battery during the typical wet finnish autumn. After i charged the battery my comand started to act weird, it would turn on and then make a loud beep and turn off, at first this happened only sometimes but after a while it would be more often off than on. It didnt really bother me too much that i would investigate it more, but one day i decided to start looking into it. I started by buying a new comand, i got a aftermarket unit for cheap, switched the comands and no help. Still the exactly same problems, so naturally i started looking somewhere else like a rational person would. Tried to read the codes with a bosch tester, only codes i could find that helped me was that the cd changer lid wasnt meeting the requirements to open. That didnt help too much so i bought some fiber-loops in hope that the problem was in the most loop. I skipped the devices one by one with no solution. I became frustrated and stopped looking into it for a while. A month ago i borrowed STAR-diagtool to help me with diagnostics. If i managed to turn the comand by luck, the codes it had were that the cd drive was too hot, and the event memory had many restarts in a row, its like it tried to boot up but for some reason couldnt. I opened every most component and nothing seemed to be wrong. So i was still lost, so i read wis-asra and i found out that if the comand gets too hot it turns off with no warning, its important to know that when i could read the comand's error codes it showed me that the temp was 65~celsius, and apparently it turn off at 80(?) if i remeber correctly. So i took removed the fan from behind comand, tried to turn it on with wires and nothing, so i knew that the comand fan wasn't working and the only rational error code was that the device was too hot. So obviously i ordered a new fan for 6€, cause it was so cheap i also changed the cd-changer fan. And boom, the thing works right now like a charm! I still need to investigate more incase this isnt the final solution. I hope i can help someone who has the same issue,

TL;DR The fan behind comand wasn't working properly
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (03-31-2022)