Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Polarized sunglasses and 2020 S560 W222 display?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:07 PM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Polarized sunglasses and 2020 S560 W222 display?

I'm trying to set up a test drive. I was browsing the manual and found this. Does anyone find the display hard to read with polarized sunglasses?

Automatic temperature-controlled switchoff feature: if the temperature is too high, the brightness is initially reduced automatically. The display may then switch off completely for a while. % If you are wearing polarized sunglasses, it may be difficult to read the display.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,603 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not unless you tilt your head. Displays are polarized the correct way so that if you are looking at them normally you can read them, but if you tilt your head 90 degrees you will see nothing and it will fade anywhere in between. I wear polarized sunglasses all the time and displays are never an issue. What is an issue with polarized sunglasses is the HUD. The polarization of the HUD due to the nature of the light being reflected on the windshield generally gets filtered out by polarized sunglasses. However, I recently drove the EQS 53 in Germany and was surprised that I could see the HUD fairly well, however it was overcast, so no bright sunlight.
The following users liked this post:
Drone_S213 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 03:38 PM

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
LAW OF MALUS

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not unless you tilt your head. Displays are polarized the correct way so that if you are looking at them normally you can read them, but if you tilt your head 90 degrees you will see nothing and it will fade anywhere in between. I wear polarized sunglasses all the time and displays are never an issue. What is an issue with polarized sunglasses is the HUD. The polarization of the HUD due to the nature of the light being reflected on the windshield generally gets filtered out by polarized sunglasses. However, I recently drove the EQS 53 in Germany and was surprised that I could see the HUD fairly well, however it was overcast, so no bright sunlight.
When polarizers are crossed 90°, you will see nothing (zero Intensity).
I x cos^2(90°) = 0
Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 760 Posts
G550
I didn't spec the HUD on my G because the one on my Lexus was polarized to disappear with my prescription polarized sunglasses, and it semed a useless option. However, my new X7's HUD is brilliant and readable with polarized lenses. Great improvement.