Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

LCD/DVD HU for 2005 SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
LCD/DVD HU for 2005 SLK

Just picked up a '05 SLK350.

Would like to replace the stock HU with a LCD screen/DVD player unit.

I've been to a couple of stereo places and some say it's not possible (it's fibre optic) while others say it is possible.

I'm not looking to change all the amps and all the speakers. Just want to add a unit it there so I can watch DVDs and maybe hook up a PS2.

Can someone give me the lowdown on this, and please recommend some LCD/DVD Head Units which are good for my application (was looking at some Pioneer, Panasonic, and Alpine units). Expected install price/price of HU?

Thanks.

Last edited by big_willy; 10-11-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
It is possible to upgrad the HU and keep the stock amp and speakers. The fiber optic network connects the stock head unit to the CD changer, phone system and steering wheel controls. So if you don't mind losing those functions, you can do the upgrade.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
If I were you, I would go STOCk and get myself a eurospec R171 SLK comand unit that has an integrated DVD player...in that case the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display still works AND the unit is compatible with the fiber system in your car...no need to change anything except for the actual HU and as it gets replaced by an original SLK part, it even looks like it is suposed to be there.
In addition you can install a MB navigation drive in the trunk as well...

In case you are interested in a eurospec SLK comand, I do have one in stock (which is already in the US).

BTW: the R171 SLK uses an audio gateway as well...the speakersystem is connected to that AGW which is connected to the HU through FIBER...which makes going aftermarket quite a hassle.

greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 10-12-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
MBenzNL:
How much for the Eurospec unit?
I'm actually located in Canada..

I see you mentioned that the SLK uses an AudioGateway. Are there any aftermarket units you can recommend which would work well with my car (ie: have a fibre optic out that can connect to the audiogateway)?

If there are no such units what would one have to do in order to connect an aftermarket unit? Is there some kind of adaptor?

Thanks for the help MBenzNL.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by figure1a
It is possible to upgrad the HU and keep the stock amp and speakers.
Actually as of today, no, it's not.

The fiber optic network connects the stock head unit to the CD changer, phone system and steering wheel controls. So if you don't mind losing those functions, you can do the upgrade.
The connection from the back of the headunit in a US-spec R171 is just a single plug, consisting of two fibre optic lines and three copper lines (power, ground, wakeup).

Unless you know of some head unit that will plug into that, I suggest going with an aftermarket amp and speakers.

Besides CD changer, phone system, and steering wheel controls, you would lose ability to use TeleAid as well as any access to the microphone (unless it gets tapped).

-s-