Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Question: Components system (MB quart vs Focal vs Dynaaudio)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brabus C-Coupe
Question: Components system (MB quart vs Focal vs Dynaaudio)

hello all. i am about to buy components system for my c klasse coupe.
i am looking for 3 way components system that makes sound like a B&W Home theater system.
I already have Alpine CDA-9835 for my HU.

after doing my own noob research: i came up with followings.

---JL Audio XR653-CSi ----------- about $350
---Boston Acoustics PRO6.5 3 ------ about $450
---Alpine SPX-F17T Flagship 3-Way -----$350
---Focal 165 W3 3-way separate system ---$750 (Utopia line)
---Focal K3P 3 way system ---- $500 (polly Kelver line)
---DynAudio System 360 3-Way 8" -----$750
---mb quart PSD 316 ----$450 (all price are discounted price not retail)
---BRAX pro series----$2500 (i heard that this is the ****!!)

so....whos the best? what to eliminate ??
i am looking for system that will give me crystal clear top quality sound.
looking for system that has good quality sound and resonable price.
not like BRAX
Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 PM

2003 Nissan 350Z
For under 1g, I prefer the Utopias. Give diamond comps a try too. Get a clean amp too (i.e. Brax/Helix, McIntosh, Zapco, Tru Tech, etc.).

Last edited by ronnie0738; 10-21-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:15 AM

'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
I've been into home audio for a long time and car audio for about 13 years. My current home gear includes KEF Ref 4s in my HT with Meridian processing and amplification. Having owned comp winning systems in 2 of my BMWs and put systems into 6 cars over that time perhaps I can be help (mainly used Boston,KEF,Focal,Phoenix Gold,RF,McIntosh,ADS). I too am about to upgrade the sound in my SL55 from it's current factory state.

Now, I have much experience with Focal car audio from poly kevlars to Utopias. Up until very recently the Utopia series was the best hi fidelity car speaker I'd ever encountered. MBQuart were the darlings of car audio and competition for a few years but personally I never liked their sound. Having formerly used a lot of different Boston Pro and non-pro models, I'd always found them pretty good but they didn't hold up to the Focals when they came along. However, the balance has now swung back after I had pleasure of listening to a set of the new Boston Z6 series, which also intrestingly mark a turn by Boston to full range drivers in their top line ranges. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_pr...&CategoryID=14. They are such a huge leap in car audio it's not funny. The incredible amount of detail they can resolve combined with their clarity is frankly astounding. Even more astounding is their ability to cope with higher volume levels without even the tiniest hint of strain. You really have to do yourself a favour and track down a set of these installed to listen to. The system I heard them through was not what I'd term over the top either, a mid range Clarion deck and an old Zapco amp. Not to mention the reps the car was a big empty station Ford station wagon to really add to the challenge filling the space with quality sound.

I am going to put aside my full set of Utopias recently taken out of my 850 and buy a set of these Z6's for the SL, no question. With the further benefits of the SL's tiny cabin and excellent dampening I'm sure will take these speaker to another level of performance again, which is hard to comprehend.

At the end of the day you need to find a good dealer/installer, who sells the brands you're after and spend the time listening for yourself until you're found a speaker you like. You'll get opinion after opinion on the net, particularly when you ask about a broad range of products. I can only pass on what years of experience has given to me. The only other thing that's worth keeping in mind is the K.I.S.S. approach. You don't have to go wild with dozens of components to achieve a stellar sound in you car, that's from a guy who once had 5 P.G. amps, eqs, plus all rest in his comp car.

Last edited by OzSL55; 10-27-2004 at 02:36 AM.