Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Audio gone! Please help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MB E350
Audio gone! Please help.

Hi all,

I bought an aftermarket CarPlay box to install in my 2011 E350 and in doing so, I killed the audio somehow.

The box works fine, as does the COMAND interface. However, I went into the engineer mode to turn on AUX (because that's what the instructions that came with the CarPlay box said to do) and in doing so, I no longer get sound.

I also did something utterly stupid and went into menu 7.8 (Audio Parameters) and 7.9 (EQ Parameters) and cleared both. So the data that was on that page now shows dashes. I have a feeling this is when the problem really started.

Today I took the car to the MB dealership. They spent 4 hours reprogramming everything. They're telling me that the Media Interface is showing up as bad on their diagnostics. It was only when I was leaving the dealership that I showed them the 7.8 and 7.9 menus and the fact that I cleared them. The service guy was stumped.

One of the options on those screens is (1) PCMCIA Interface. It's greyed out because I don't have a PCMCIA card in the unit, but it got me to thinking: there must be some way to restore the audio and EQ parameters (which I presume are set in the Media Interface) and in doing so, could restore the audio.

So, my questions are:

1. Will a PCMCIA to SD card work in my system?
2. What files do I need on that card in order to restore the Audio and EQ Parameters?
3. Where can I get such a card and said files?

Here's hoping someone can rescue me here. Appreciate the help in advance!
Old 05-20-2023, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S205 220d, MY2017
Hello,

the changes in the hidden menu is only coding. That should get fixed when the workshop/ dealer recode the coding on your device via VeDoc information on their Xentry system.

If you coded the Aux In as mentioned in the installation instruction you need to route the sound via "Klinke" jacket and plug instead of the external USB box (that uses the USB aux of your NTG system).

Maybe it would be well if you show the CarPlay box so we can look for solution.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 09:16 PM

2011 MB E350
Thanks for responding.

The actual unit I purchased was off of Alibaba.com. It was the kSmart Auto Box: https://www.kremersino.com/product-k...le-benz-3.html

Here's a link to the manual: https://sigmacarstereo.com/docs/carplay/manual-for-mercedes-benz-ntg-45.pdf

I purchased the NTG4 version for my 2011 E350.

Last edited by e350rc; 05-21-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:16 AM

2011 MB E350
Here are the notes from the Mercedes-Benz technician on the service invoice:

Customer states radio doesn't play sound. Please check and advise.
Media Interface and Amp
Reprogrammed Amp, Media Interface, Radio Control Unit. Found audio was still inoperable. Checked power and ground to control units. Found pin on back of connector of radio not inserted fully. Repinned connector. Found Media Interface still not programming properly. Recommend replacement of Media Interface and Amp.
Then they proceed to quote. me a cost of $2447.26 to replace one and $1849.76 to replace the other.

Yet despite reprogramming, the 7.8 Audio Parameters and 7.9 EQ Parameters which I cleared still remain so.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:22 PM

S205 220d, MY2017
Hello again,

maybe you should go to someone else with the right equipment to get the settings in your headhunt recoded.

What happens when you disassemble the CarPlay box? Should be no big deal to take the cable connector off and get it connected to the HU directly.

I believe it is not necessary to renew the HU.

By the way: Do you have Harman Kardon System? They wrote they want to change the Media Interface AND the Amp?
Old 05-21-2023, 02:49 PM

2011 MB E350
Thanks for your message.

Correct on both counts: I have a Harmon Kardon system, and they are suggesting the shotgun approach of replacing the Media Interface and if that doesn't work, the Amplifier.

Here are the parameters as they appear now. Before I mistakenly cleared them, there was information on each line.

Notice on each screen there is "(1) Parameter setting from PCMCIA". This is greyed out. It leads me to believe that with a PCMCIA card inserted into the head unit and the appropriate programming files that can restore the values for the Audio Parameter and EQ, my sound will come back.

I can get a PCMCIA to SD card interface and use an SD card. I just need the correct programming files.

Last edited by e350rc; 05-21-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:03 PM

S205 220d, MY2017
I had a lot to do with NTG4 but never heard about a setting on PCMCIA card. But it is with a try. Someone could safe his setting and give it to you.

BUT: All items you can save and change in the hidden menu are as well in the coding and accessible via software called "Vediamo" and "Monaco". Try to get somebody who has at least Vediamo to check "HU204" setting (that is the name of the NTG in the coding software). MB dealer and their workshops do not have this software. Maybe there is somebody in this forum who could offer you to at least check the settings in the HU204. It looks like you have killed the essentiell information in the HU. But do not worry, anything can be recoded with the right software and tools. Unfortunately I am too far away to check it. But if you had somebody with Vediamo I can take a look at it via TeamViewer.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:42 PM

2011 MB E350
I found screenshots of what 7.8 and 7.9 SHOULD look like. These are NOT from my vehicle, but I found them online. I wish I had taken a picture of mine before cleaning, or better yet, not cleared them at all. But the information here looks familiar and may be exact for my 2011 E350.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:30 AM

S205 220d, MY2017
Hi! Any news about your system?

I have looked for more details concerning the issue and it seems to me that the clearing of the engineer items has set the coding in the HU to zero. So go to somebody who is able to code your unit again.

The Equalizer data is not the main problem but the other ones. The amp is maybe set to internal (you have an external because of HK) and the other settings define the type of car you have and what vendor the unit is.

Best regards!
Old 05-26-2023, 05:38 AM

2011 MB E350
Originally Posted by fotom
Hi! Any news about your system?

I have looked for more details concerning the issue and it seems to me that the clearing of the engineer items has set the coding in the HU to zero. So go to somebody who is able to code your unit again.

The Equalizer data is not the main problem but the other ones. The amp is maybe set to internal (you have an external because of HK) and the other settings define the type of car you have and what vendor the unit is.

Best regards!
Hey, thanks for checking in and continuing to reply.

The MB dealership I took it to has opened a service request with MB's technical division to help solve the issue and are awaiting a response. I'll keep you informed!
Old 05-26-2023, 05:49 AM

S205 220d, MY2017
That is great! Good luck and thank you for the response!