Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Headunit Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headunit Replacement

I currently have an Audio 10 headunit in my car and wish to replace it with a Sony one.

Is it just a matter of unplugging the audio 10 and plugging in the new unit or is there some adaptors or something required?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 11-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
I don't know what's needed to install the Sony unit, but... it is very likely that an aftermarket unit won't work with your steering wheel controls...

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 11-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigSis
I don't know what's needed to install the Sony unit, but... it is very likely that an aftermarket unit won't work with your steering wheel controls...

Greetingz,

BigSis
I dont think many W202 have steering controls.

There is a company called Aerpro - they do almost all of the conversion looms you can ask for. In this case you probably want ISO male to SONY loom. I have no idea what the sony has on the back.

http://www.aerpro.com.au/cgi-bin/lis...list=harnesses
Old 11-01-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by miroj
I dont think many W202 have steering controls.

There is a company called Aerpro - they do almost all of the conversion looms you can ask for. In this case you probably want ISO male to SONY loom. I have no idea what the sony has on the back.

http://www.aerpro.com.au/cgi-bin/lis...list=harnesses

I have a 203.......its 2002 year, not 202
Old 11-01-2004, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by zishan03
I currently have an Audio 10 headunit in my car and wish to replace it with a Sony one.

Is it just a matter of unplugging the audio 10 and plugging in the new unit or is there some adaptors or something required?

Thanks in advance for the help
Do you have digital sound system (Bose)?? If you do, you can't just plug the aftermarket head unit in. If not, you can just plug it in with an adapter harness. You will need the trim bezel to take up the space around the new head unit (the hole in the dash is larger) and you will need a new cubbyhole for below the new head unit.

The adapter harness can be purchased, or it can be made yourself from an ISO pigtail and the pigtail that should come with the head unit. Hook the appropriate wires together (note that the ISO harness, if intended for VW or Audi, may have slightly different wiring than your car). You may require finding additional wires for illumination and ignition circuits, as these are probably not present at your current radio wiring harness.

-s-