Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W212 Comand ntg4 keeps restarting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
W212 Comand ntg4 keeps restarting

Dear Community,

I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me with the following Problem:

About 6 months ago, my father in law's comand ntg4 head unit, installed in a 2011, w212 e220 cdi, started restarting every 3 minutes. After he starts the car or turns on the comand, it works for three minutes and restarts automatically (it's more of a reset than a restart), then it works again for exactly three minutes and resets again, and so on.

The local MB representative told him that the head unit was broken and needed to be replaced with a new one. Since a new one from MB is too expensive, I was able to find a used one from a car recycler in the bay.

After we installed the "new" one, the theft protection message appeared on the display. So we went back to the local mb representative in the hope that they could remove the protection.

They tried for a whole day to unlock the command but to no avail. In the end they told us that it is not possible to unlock a comand that was previously installed in another car and the only solution is to buy a completely new one from mb. We have been to 2 other mb workshops but no one has been able to remove the theft protection.

Finaly I was able to find a guy who remove the protection.

After we installed the new head unit in the car, it also started to reset every three minutes.

So the old and the new comand restart every three minutes.

The guy who removed the anti-theft protection told me that the problem is in the cooling, that the cooling fan in the comand is not working and as soon as the comand gets too hot, it starts again. He said that the fan needs to be replaced.

It sounds very strange to me, that the colling fan from booth comands is broken and because of that booth units reset exactly after three minutes. In addition, the fan in the ntg4 device cannot be replaced.

My father in law told me that he had problems with the phone module in his car some time before this restart problem.

Could it be, that the problem is not with the comand, but that another component in the most ring is causing this problem?

Sorry for the long storry, but im trying to give you all informations i have, in the hope, that somebody has an idea what the real problem is and how to fix it. I don`t know what else i can do.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 12-05-2023, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
YES if the CANBUS messages get corrupt and all kinds of strange things can happen.

My does similar in that it locks up or no hard Drive available or my USB stick cannot be found (Full of Music) or the dayum thing just reboots or I have to reset it.
Now the time varies but pretty much always within 2-5 mins I would say,

This only happens when SIRIUS/XM have a free trial and turn it on. Around Thanksgiving I think they had free trial and my system went whacky.
(I do not subscribe because it causes issues and alwyas has since I had car and dealers are of no help because it never happens for them)

SO in my case I think the Sirius module has an issue and corrupts the command computer and freaks the system out.

But in yours it could be the phone module and/or bluetooth thingy.
DO not throw parts at it as they are $$$$$ just find which one is not happy and replace or repair

Old 12-05-2023, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
Thanks for your tips ygmn!
The plan now is to remove one component at a time (and close the lwl most ring with a bridge) until I find the faulty module.
Any idea where to find something like a description or a drawing with the location of each component in the car? Unfortunately i have no xentry / wis.
Regards
Old 12-06-2023, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
no idea but I have read some in trunk under rear deck.

Maybe some under front seats?