Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

BMW Bluetooth Rocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2004 | 07:55 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
BMW Bluetooth Rocks

So, I just had the BMW Bluetooth kit installed in my wife's X5 this week. Wow, I wonder why MB can't come up with something like this. It is a combined Bluetooth and cradle type solution. The phone links with the system via Bluetooth and depending on the phone, downloads the phone list to the car. A total of 4 phones can be paired to the car with the last phone paired having the highest priority.

http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm

Upon starting the car, the car links to the phone, downloads the phone list, and is ready to make or answer calls.

The names in your phone display on the MID or Nav system and in the instrument cluster. The whole thing is controllable from the MID or steering wheel buttons. There is also a voice recognition module that is included that allows you to add voice tags to pre-programmed #s and to dial by voice by number...aka like this:

You: "Dial Number."
Car: "Please speak the number."
You: "243-5923"
Car: "243-5923. Is this correct?"
You: "Dial"

Here are some pics I found on the net:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/205388/9

It all works remarkably well. One can even transfer calls to/from the car upon entering/exiting the car, respectively.

Finally, one does not need a special version of the phone. Simply one of the models listed in the link above. Some "snap in" adapters are available for specific phone models to charge the phone and to link to the car's antenna. However, even if the snap in is not available, as long as the phone is on the list, it will work.

It all seems very elegant and works quite reliably. The system is perfect for the wife, since she can leave her phone in her purse yet have it automatically linked to the car. I wish MB would design a similar system.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffreyy; 11-21-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I guess you're using a Moto V600? Seemed like a lot of them at not available at the time.
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
MB is losing its pace... Definitely not on top of the game... BT has been around for so long, even Hondas have this option nowadays. I guess their top managers are just too old (= petrified brains). Just too much evidence of that: the last "luxary car" manufacturer to abandon the Double Wishbone suspention and the last one to switch to aluminum-block engines, let alone Bluetooth..
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
BMW Bluetooth system questions

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
So, I just had the BMW Bluetooth kit installed in my wife's X5 this week. Wow, I wonder why MB can't come up with something like this. It is a combined Bluetooth and cradle type solution. The phone links with the system via Bluetooth and depending on the phone, downloads the phone list to the car. A total of 4 phones can be paired to the car with the last phone paired having the highest priority.

http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm

Upon starting the car, the car links to the phone, downloads the phone list, and is ready to make or answer calls.

The names in your phone display on the MID or Nav system and in the instrument cluster. The whole thing is controllable from the MID or steering wheel buttons. There is also a voice recognition module that is included that allows you to add voice tags to pre-programmed #s and to dial by voice by number...aka like this:

You: "Dial Number."
Car: "Please speak the number."
You: "243-5923"
Car: "243-5923. Is this correct?"
You: "Dial"

Here are some pics I found on the net:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/205388/9

It all works remarkably well. One can even transfer calls to/from the car upon entering/exiting the car, respectively.

Finally, one does not need a special version of the phone. Simply one of the models listed in the link above. Some "snap in" adapters are available for specific phone models to charge the phone and to link to the car's antenna. However, even if the snap in is not available, as long as the phone is on the list, it will work.

It all seems very elegant and works quite reliably. The system is perfect for the wife, since she can leave her phone in her purse yet have it automatically linked to the car. I wish MB would design a similar system.

Jeff
Thanks, it's important to know the model number with bluetooth interface as different phones do have difference compatibility level.

For the systems with manual transfer phone books, will the BMW system allow ALL entries on the handset automatically transfer to the car? The RX330 forces one to transfer manually one entry at a time (with the V600)! It is ok to transfer the entire phone book manually but not acceptable having to do it hundreds of times.

How advance is the voice recognition, if I speak to an office voice mail system spelling out a recipient's name, can I just say P-E-T-E-R and it will dial 7-3-8-3-7 for me?

Thanks for any feedback in advance. I'm thinking of an E60 and I noted a few short comings compared to the MB V60 system I'm so used to. The BT convenience is nice but I access PBX systems all the time and need my alpha numeric input.

Last edited by W210; 11-21-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2004 | 01:09 AM

BMW Bluetooth Rocks

Actually, I'm using the v80. The pics on the web are someone else's. I haven't taken pics of my particular install yet. Yes, the entire phone book auto transfers in like 20 seconds. So by the time you get the car into reverse, the phone book and phone are available.

No, to my knowledge, the VR is not that advanced but I have not tried letters.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2004 | 09:33 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Bluetooth question -

Originally Posted by jeffreyy
Actually, I'm using the v80. The pics on the web are someone else's. I haven't taken pics of my particular install yet. Yes, the entire phone book auto transfers in like 20 seconds. So by the time you get the car into reverse, the phone book and phone are available.

No, to my knowledge, the VR is not that advanced but I have not tried letters.

Jeff
I wonder if this will work???

I have a Bluetooth V600 and a Bluetooth Nokia. Is there anyway to configure the V600 to "use" the Nokia's connection? If so, I could leave my V600 in the G (I have the MikBox - works great btw) and have the active SIM card in my Nokia on my person.

This would basically give me a similiar system now - assuming it is even possible.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:56 PM

???

MB230S

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. If you're trying to get the SIM profile to tranfer via Bluetooth, I think Scorchie said that was something that is possible theoretically but I have not seen a product that implements that feature currently.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2004 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by mb230s
I wonder if this will work???

I have a Bluetooth V600 and a Bluetooth Nokia. Is there anyway to configure the V600 to "use" the Nokia's connection? If so, I could leave my V600 in the G (I have the MikBox - works great btw) and have the active SIM card in my Nokia on my person.

This would basically give me a similiar system now - assuming it is even possible.

Any thoughts?
No. Phones do not talk to each other this way.