Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sound Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't currently own a vehicle.
Sound Systems

Does anyone know why Mercedes uses Bose systems and Harmon Kardon systems? I was just looking at the Bose website and looking at the car companies that use there products and I saw Mercedes. Which confused me because I know that the E-class uses the Harmon Kardon system. I hear a lot of complaints about Bose systems, so I thought that seeing the E-class is pretty knew that maybe Mercedes was switching over to Harmon Kardon, but I looked at information on the SLR and that is using Bose and that car is brand new, so my theory would prove incorrect. Anyone have any idea?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:33 AM

06 M3
There probably have a contract and use them for name recognition. Maybe they decided to give HK a shot and try them out. I think Bose is ok for people who are not interested in a custom system but think they are actually getting something because they hear the name. It is simply a marketing thing. They are satisfied with something that is probably along the better factory systems. I've always thought Bose stood for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

I don't know the history of the company well, I imagine they made a good home system at one time maybe the 901 system. I think they are simply getting by on their name for the uninformed/uninterested. I think the best factory car audio system was the Mark Levinson system my cousin had in his LS 430.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by unsung
I think the best factory car audio system was the Mark Levinson system my cousin had in his LS 430.
The Levinson system for the LS is pretty nice. A friend's 7 series has a real sweet system too but I don't know who makes it. BTW, Levinson is part of the same company as HK these days.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably has much to do with the lowest bidder...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 AM

Don't currently own a vehicle.
Originally Posted by BlueMonk
The Levinson system for the LS is pretty nice. A friend's 7 series has a real sweet system too but I don't know who makes it. BTW, Levinson is part of the same company as HK these days.
BMW uses Harmon Kardon
Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Bose is actually more than just speakers now... they recently finished there patent on a suspension system. It is a privately owned company and Dr.Bose still actually works with everyone there. They do a lot of research that benefits other companies. For example there suspension system has been in the making for 24years I believe.

Privately owned company takes all profits and re-invests back into itself for research. They have some cool products... Nice alarm clocks, lol.

Bose= all highs and no lows as far as cars go, throw in a nice complimenting sub and your factory system doesnt sound too bad. You can actually get in to some of the coded settings on the amps and change the preset equalizer settings... I read about it on some A4's and S4's with the bose systems, I heard one after it was "tuned" and it sounded pretty nasty.

The majority of the people who are getting cars with these systems are clueless as to what good sound is though so it doesnt really matter. If mercedes or bmw were to say a $20 jensen radio sounds good, than many owners would believe it probably
Old 01-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
Originally Posted by BlueMonk
If it's a MY02 or newer E65/E66 745i/Li then it's a Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system ...